Famous Afro-Latinos are Tired Of Trying To Explain To People They’re Black

Critical Distance

Guardian Angel
Supporter
Daps
What does Black mean?

Y'all realize Black isn't even an African made term. It's ONLY a euro term that was created by euro colonials to justify treating others different and giving them free reign to subjugate.

shyt is crazy how hostile brehs can be about excluding people who genuinely have black heritage from being able to state they are black while acknowledging the other ancestry, culture, etc that are a part of them.

:dead: All that poster said is that someone who is multiracial, or biracial is not black. Which is a fact. :manny:

Jammer22

All Star
Daps
My confusion is that if everything was equal, English speaking blacks would go around refering to ourselves as maybe Afro-German or Afro-Anglos. Then we'd hold the Germanic English-speaking part up equal to our race.

It's weird.

I wouldn't be defining myself, the dominant society would.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
What does Black mean?

Y'all realize Black isn't even an African made term. It's ONLY a euro term that was created by euro colonials to justify treating others different and giving them free reign to subjugate.

I've been asking for a current, general-accepted definition of "Black" for years. All I ever get is the :yeshrug:.

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
I wouldn't really put Melo in this group with other afro hispanics because he is half AA from his mother and Puerto Rican from his father. Plus he was raised by his AA mother since his Puerto Rican father died when he was 2 or 3 years old. So ethnically he grew up more AAdos than Puerto Rican.

Im pretty sure melo speaks spanish tho and hes pretty active in the pr community. Married a pr broad and shot the club up as well :salute:

DPresidential

The Coli's Ralph Ellison
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Brooklyn
:dead: All that poster said is that someone who is multiracial, or biracial is not black. Which is a fact. :manny:
With all due respect, no, it isn't.

I'm going to try to chip away at your assertion. Let's figure out some rules that you're imposing on "blackness" to have this convo maturely...

Tell me if you disagree with the rules:

1. Black is having a black mother and a black father.
  2. Biracial is not black.
  3. As a result of rules 1 & 2, the product of a biracial parent and black parent is not a black child.
Is this an accurate set of rules for us to have this convo?

I've been asking for a current, general-accepted definition of "Black" for years. All I ever get is the :yeshrug:.

Same. The small elephant in the room is that there is none. The bigger elephant in this room is that "black" is a European invention that was NEVER intended to have a positive connotation. The BIGGEST elephant in the room? It calls into question alot of our misconceptions as to whether "black" and "white" can be scientifically quantified or is is PURELY a social construct.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
When the census began in 1790, the racial categories for the household population were “free white” persons, other “free persons” by color, and “slaves.” Census-takers did not use standard forms in the early censuses.

For 1850-1880, the codes for enumerators were generally white (W), black (B) and mulatto (M). Beginning in 1850, the data item was labeled “color.” In 1870, Chinese (C) and Indian (I) were added. In 1880, the data item was not labeled; it was “whether this person is…” In 1890, “Japanese,” “quadroon” and “octoroon” were added.

In 1900, there were no specified categories on the census listing form, but the instructions called for enumerators to list “W” for white, “B” for “black (or negro or negro descent)”, “Ch” for Chinese, “Jp” for Japanese, or “In” for Indian “as the case may be.” There was no mention of “quadroon” or “octoroon.” This appears to be the first appearance of “negro” (lower case) in the instructions but it was not listed on the form itself.

In 1910, the data item was called “color or race” for the first time. The instructions allowed for “Mu” for mulatto and “Ot” for other with an instruction to write in the race; “B” was called “black” only. The definition for “B” and “Mu” is: “For census purposes, the term ‘‘black’’ (B) includes all persons who are evidently full blooded negroes, while the term ‘‘mulatto’’ (Mu) includes all other persons having some proportion or perceptible trace of negro blood.”

In 1920, there were no changes. In 1930, there were specific instructions that used the term “Negro.” Persons who were mixed “White and Negro blood” were to be counted as “Negro” (apparently capitalized) no matter how small the share of “Negro blood.” (This so-called “one-drop rule” or variations of it appeared in census instructions beginning in 1870.) Persons who were mixed white-Indian were to be counted as Indian “except where the percentage of Indian blood was very small or where he or she was regarded as White in the community.” Any person who was “white” and “colored” was to be counted according to the “colored” race, and mixed colored races were to be counted according to the race of the father. There was an attempt in this census only to obtain figures for “Mex” (Mexicans), who were defined as “all persons born in Mexico, or having parents born in Mexico, who were not definitely White, Negro, Indian, Chinese, or Japanese.”

In 1940, the only change was the elimination of the “Mex” category, and Mexicans “were to be listed as White unless they were definitely Indian or some race other than White.”

In 1950, the census form listed the following categories: “White (W), Negro (Neg), American Indian (Ind), Japanese (Jap), Chinese (Chi), Filipino (Fil),” and other races to be spelled out. Note that the form did not contain the term “Black.”

Beginning in 1960, the Census Bureau began to use forms similar to the ones in use today, with a single form for an entire household rather than having multiple households included on the form completed by an enumerator. Census forms were mailed to most people, but census-takers picked them up. The data item is called “Color or race” with categories for “White, Negro, American Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, Hawaiian, Part Hawaiian, Aleut, Eskimo, (etc.)” Note that “black” did not appear on the form. The instructions called for census-takers to complete the race item by observation, and directed that Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, or other persons of Latin descent would be classified as ‘‘White’’ unless they were definitely “Negro,” “Indian,” or some other race. Southern European and Near Eastern nationalities also were to be considered “White.” Asian Indians were to be classified as ‘‘Other,’’ and ‘‘Hindu’’ was to be written in.

Self-identification was fully in place for 1970 and later censuses. The 1970 data item was still called “color or race” with the following response categories: “White, Negro or Black, Indian (Amer.), Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, Hawaiian, Korean, Other (with write-in).” This was the first appearance of “black” since 1920.

Race and the Census: The "Negro" Controversy

SmarkMero

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Only Dascha Polanco 100% claim her blackness and it’s sad because she’s the only one in that list that doesn’t have to based on her complexion.

When Milian first came on the scene I remember a web interview where she referred to herself as Black Cuban.

zoe1.jpg

WENN

Zoe Saldana
– Afro-Puerto Rican and Dominican

“I am proud to be Latina. I will not accept [anyone] telling me that I’m less or whatever, because to me, that is just hysterical,” she said. “But I don’t like to break and divide myself into all these small little categories like, “I’m an American, a woman, a Latina, a black Latina.” No. I am Zoe.
GbfW48s.png
And the same goes for Dana Ramirez too.

Ciara, Dania Ramirez Discuss the 'N-Word' - JetMag.com

"I don’t see the point in allowing certain people to be able to use it and then others to not be able to use it. I have used it. I’ve actually worn it one time down the red carpet … it was printed on a shirt. This was back when Nas was coming out with his album, he titled it the ‘N-Word.’ I would say it to my friends. I have African-American friends. I don’t see a problem with it. I’ve used it talking to Spike Lee, who I worked with."

Last edited: