Facing Emergency, DC prepares to pass new crime bill/* Secure DC Act signed into law 03/11/24

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Sad bc YTD homicide is down 11% across large cities. Here in Philly it is 20% down compared to last year though still high compared to 2019 (though on par with 2007). DC is in a bad spot.

At least no crazy sentencing increases or stop and frisk in this new law

and being influenced by Trap and Drill music which celebrates black death issue.

I know it's bad but I don't buy music drives crime theories. The worst violence in the 80s and 90s was way before gangsta rap. I think social media clout and influence can play a role though. Just look at the Kia boys.

COVID broke a lot of fundamental things in this country and all those kids at home with no structure was a recipe for disaster that is still playing out.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sad bc YTD homicide is down 11% across large cities. Here in Philly it is 20% down compared to last year though still high compared to 2019 (though on par with 2007). DC is in a bad spot.

At least no crazy sentencing increases or stop and frisk in this new law

I know it's bad but I don't buy music drives crime theories. The worst violence in the 80s and 90s was way before gangsta rap. I think social media clout and influence can play a role though. Just look at the Kia boys.

COVID broke a lot of fundamental things in this country and all those kids at home with no structure was a recipe for disaster that is still playing out.

This stuff was simmering before COVID. Covid basically gave the green light to release pinned up anger.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I live in philly where shyt is out of control and I’m not for mass incarceration but fukk that if you get caught with fentanyl/crack you should automatically get 25 years fukk that

Also shoplifting …they aren’t prosecuting anything under like $500 or some shyt so people are literally walking in stores and taking shyt like nothing …..this is causing convenience stores/pharmacies and mom and pop stores to close down …get caught stealing automatic 5 years (unless it’s stuff like food/baby supplies etc.)

I agree fentanyl needs to be tackled but the War on Drugs has never reduced supply. Addicts would be better off in supervised treatment to remove demand.

Also I am in Philly too and it socks but murders are down 20% year to date. If we keep it up we could be back to pre COVID levels next year. I conceal carry though :yeshrug:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
That’s because people actually thought homeschool during the pandemic was a good idea

I was called a Republican on here for saying kids need to be in school in 2020 because the at risk kids will be in the streets

Gotta start treating shoplifting as a major crime. Slaps on the wrist from shoplifting only makes criminals more bold

Go Arab style with punishments. Lose your hands for stealing and shyt :huhldup:

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
I lived in around DC 2006-2007, which also had a crime spike. The MPD implemented a program where they drove around the city with their blue lights on and had checkpoints to enter or leave crime hotspots. That seemed to help temporarily.

Now that I’m back in the city since 2021, there’s way less of a police presence now than when I was here 15 years ago. You don’t see that many police patrols, on foot or in the car.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also i think for the kids that get caught doing crime repeatedly need to be sent to military schools until they are 18. Get them out of the community and hope they get their shyt together.
idk what the answer is but i think this would be better than incarcerating someone for years for theft as someone suggested.

they’d just come out likely to become a worse kind of criminal than the offense they went in there for with the way our system works.

and i really don’t think someone’s life should get permanently fukked up over some dumb mistakes they make as a teenager (depending on the severity of the crime of course)

Pegasus Jackson

Trump's Amerikkka
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA ZONE 6
I lived in around DC 2006-2007, which also had a crime spike. The MPD implemented a program where they drove around the city with their blue lights on and had checkpoints to enter or leave crime hotspots. That seemed to help temporarily.

Now that I’m back in the city since 2021, there’s way less of a police presence now than when I was here 15 years ago. You don’t see that many police patrols, on foot or in the car.

That was around the time Trinidad was a warzone due to crew beef. MPD pretty much set up shop in that neighborhood around 2008-9.

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
this isnt just about robbing & killings, that’s the fukked up part of it.
Anyone caping for degenerate criminals robbing and killing people better not call the police if it happens to them. Need to start putting some of these parents in jail as well if their kids are committing crimes, or at the very least removing them from any public assistance.

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV

You will now since this bill gave them the green light for vehicle chase.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
this isnt just about robbing & killings, that’s the fukked up part of it.
It may not be but those are the crimes that hit the hardest. Even if you rob someone with no violence occurring it should still be tried as if it did. At best financially and mentally traumatizing people and at worst paralyzing or killing people.

I get it that neighborhoods are not getting the social support it needs but the vast majority of people there are not committing crimes. People that do it should not get leniency or sympathy.