Facing Emergency, DC prepares to pass new crime bill/* Secure DC Act signed into law 03/11/24

Wink Beaufield

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Southeast DC
Also DCPD is undermanned like hell
Thats because they gotta compete with the feds and the suburban police departments.

Them entities stay scooping up DC police. Hell, Look at what happened to the last two chiefs. Newsham ghosted out to Prince William County police and Contee ghosted to the FBI.

Daps
for the last part you have been brainwashed to believe that

i do believe lots of cops are doing nothing at least nothing positive for the communities they police. i think things wouldn’t change the way you’d think if you had less cops around.
Remember that time New York cops refused to their job and ultimately came back because people started realizing they didn't need them around all the time.

Yet police slowdowns haven’t made the city any less safe. As Monahan himself went on to say, this year is on track to be the third in a row with fewer than 300 homicides and 800 shootings. Despite that, union president Lynch sees a much more terrifying New York now with one less lawbreaking officer in it.
NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill fired Pantaleo August 19, after a departmental trial found the 13-year veteran officer guilty of using the illegal choke hold, killing Garner. In letting Pantaleo go, O’Neill had betrayed all New York cops, Lynch lamented. “Our police officers are in distress—not because they have a difficult job, not because they put themselves in danger, but because they realize they are abandoned. The captain has jumped ship. The mayor has told him to do it, and the streets are falling into chaos.”
The official police union twitter account put it more simply: “#JobIsDead.”
This hashtagged response was overdramatic and roundly mocked. Yet it still correctly assessed the mood of many people around the country—those who have become too used to watching a police officer kill someone on video. When a law enforcement system is designed to police itself, and when it so rarely produces anything like accountability, that also signals the dead end of that job.
This slowdown, meant as a protest against an alleged “anti-police” environment, offers an argument for how inessential police can be to maintaining public safety. While members of law enforcement were in the tabloids anonymously warning of a “Pantaleo effect,” the city went on. In the week that passed after Lynch threatened a slowdown, arrests and summons are down compared to this time last year, but so are major crimes, (down 20 percent, according to the NYPD).

Daps
What crimes are "non violent"? Most crime is violent.
source.gif

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
nikkas was for sure getting their shyt capped to Make it last forever and Anita Baker’s Sweet Love

Sad bc YTD homicide is down 11% across large cities. Here in Philly it is 20% down compared to last year though still high compared to 2019 (though on par with 2007). DC is in a bad spot.

At least no crazy sentencing increases or stop and frisk in this new law

I know it's bad but I don't buy music drives crime theories. The worst violence in the 80s and 90s was way before gangsta rap. I think social media clout and influence can play a role though. Just look at the Kia boys.

COVID broke a lot of fundamental things in this country and all those kids at home with no structure was a recipe for disaster that is still playing out.

All jokes aside tho...Unfortunately, there's probably going to be an overcorrection to all of the crime and violence.

We can go back and forth on what's really happening, but that won't solve things in the immediate. It's a generational problem that requires a generational solution.

I respect the hell out of you as a poster, but I highlighted the bolded because I used to think media/music didn't contribute, but I've learned it's one cog in social conditioning. No one is listening to a song, going into a trance and committing crime, but the conditioning makes it a more acceptable response to their circumstances. I'm broke, it's aiight to rob someone. Someone disrepects me, it's aiight to kill them. It's not in a vacuum, but conditioning (music, movies, clout chasing, peer group, parental involvement) helps load the gun, the circumstances pull the trigger.

Innocent people are dying, those same innocent people are going to start not to care if some people aren't properly processed through the system, because they want something done now. That's how we got the 94 crime bill.

Bay Area

Raiders/Warriors/A's
Daps
Reppin
East Oakland
It’s laughable that y’all think throwing people in jail will change anything. They are going to come out of jail with new criminal skills that they learned from other criminals in jail.

Just because you get arrested, that doesn’t mean you’re going to jail for 20 years. These people will be right out in a few months.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
In the background immigrants are being encouraged to become police officers nationwide. The old crime bill in my city featured white Irish police officers. Wonder how this will turn out?