Facing Emergency, DC prepares to pass new crime bill/* Secure DC Act signed into law 03/11/24

chief_keef_stan

lil' haitian nikka
Daps
Reppin
Boston. on thot ave. with a big booty island gyal

2023 was deadliest year in decades in DC​

WUSA9

Jan 3, 2024
When 2023 came to a close, the District saw its deadliest year since 1997.

nikkas tried to say how bad it was and folks in here were tryna say it's not that bad. Combined with all the carjackings :francis:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

DC Council approves sweeping anti-crime bill​

Mar 5, 2024
In response to troubling crime trends, the D.C. Council voted nearly unanimously on Tuesday to approve a sweeping bill that covers carjackings, gun crimes and DNA collection, among other things.

Council members voted 12-0 in support of the legislation, with Ward 8 Council member Trayon White voting “present.” Tuesday marked the second vote on the bill, which was created as lawmakers face mounting pressure over how the city is responding to violent crimes.
Now, the legislation heads to Mayor Muriel Bowser’s desk.

In a statement, Mayor Bowser praised the lawmakers for taking a “critical step in the work to build a safer DC by rebalancing our public safety and justice ecosystem in favor of safety and accountability.”
“This bill is a serious commitment from the council to our residents that we take your safety seriously,” Ward 6 Council member Charles Allen said before the vote. “And that action is more productive than finger pointing.”
(Rest of the article)

Ohnoits

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
neither does ignoring crime :manny: shyt is out of control so something was gonna happen whether its a perfect solution or part of a solution

people wont raise their kids and the rest of these communities end up paying for it
Yea something is needed. This is just the first step.

It's bad when I who have lived in and out of the district for years, don't even want to go into the city because lately I've been like - man is someone going to break in my car, some bad ass kid going to ride their bike into my car etc. Those roving gangs of kids on off road vehicles and riding their bikes through the city last summer...faking out like they are going to hit your car for shyts and giggles put me off of it :camby:

I don't even feel like going into the city anymore

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

US Attorney describes challenges of prosecuting carjackings in DC, citing youth crime laws​

July 8, 2024
WASHINGTON (7News) — U.S. Attorney Matthew Graves spoke about carjacking trends in the District and prosecution challenges his office faces at a press conference Monday.

"It's harder to prosecute carjackings in this jurisdiction than others," he told reporters.

Graves pointed to the Youth Rehabilitation Act (YRA), which allows courts to sentence below the mandatory minimum for most crimes for offenders under the age of 25. Graves said 75% of carjackers arrested last year were in this age range, with most of them under 18 years old.

The U.S. Attorney's Office will request stricter sentences than judges ultimately issue, explained Graves, pointing to the YRA. There are two parts of that law he feels needs to be addressed, concerning the mandatory minimums and how many times a defendant can use the YRA

Graves wants carjacking to be exempt from the YRA like murder and certain other crimes are. He said mandatory minimums should not be ignored for carjackings because of how serious the crime is.

Graves also feels offenders should be limited to falling under the YRA once, saying he's seen repeat offenders being sentenced under those guidelines as many as four times in extreme cases.

"From our perspective, it should be a singular bite at the apple," he explained.

These are all challenges, they get exposed when you get hit with a crime wave," he explained. "You don't feel them at first, you don't see them when they're immediately passed. But when the crisis comes, that's when you see the shortcomings of your foundation."

As of July 7, carjackings are down 46% year-to-date since last year, according to data from the Metropolitan Police Department.

Graves said he has instructed career supervisors to strongly consider prosecuting 16 and 17-year-olds as adults when they are involved in a series of armed carjackings.

“None of us on this stage came to our roles wanting to prosecute juveniles as adults, but given what we saw in the last couple of years, if we want to continue to reverse the carjacking trend, we have to prosecute as adults the juveniles who are turbocharging it," he said.

Graves also said he is glad the council's Secure D.C. law expanded the definition of carjacking

Sauce and Footwork

Superstar
Daps
Hate to say it, but I support this. As a man with a family I care about mine and others and none of us deserve to go through life with the danger of crime happening to our loved ones. This will reduce crime for the simple fact they not putting people right back on the streets after committing these crimes. Black people need to separate themselves from caring about those that cause harm to our communities. Excuses for the behavior have led us absolutely nowhere. We have to take a stand by supporting legislation like this is order for black people to finally feel more protected

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Not cool with automatically prosecuting juveniles as adults for car jacking. Especially 16 and under.
Understandable

But also understand that's gonna cause people to take advantage of that and send out kids to do their dirt more often, criminals look at these laws too and plan accordingly.

If you have an alternative way to scare kids off from trying it, feel free to explain your solution

Disagreeing with their idea is not a solution for anything.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
“None of us on this stage came to our roles wanting to prosecute juveniles as adults, but given what we saw in the last couple of years, if we want to continue to reverse the carjacking trend, we have to prosecute as adults the juveniles who are turbocharging it," he said.

The tragedy of the car jacking/wildin youth - The charging decision is the prosecutor's only real way to affect the situation. Prosecutor only has one tool, the hammer. To swing or not to swing.

The Cops - obviously they can focus on "the usual" suspects - and that has its own problems. Cause might be 10-15 cats in any given hood that's really active....but it's not like they moving solo, don't interact with anyone else... Even if they could just focus on the "right" cats - they're gonna surveil and harass them...

The School System has probably identified a lot of these kids as being "at-risk". They're already overwhelmed by kids that ain't "criminals"...

The City can have its jobs programs to soak kids up - but usually the kids that apply for jobs is not the one doing car jackings.

Social Services - been swamped

The local juvenile detention spots can keep cats longer - but can't lock these kids up.

Church and Non Profits - They doing what they can, I guess

Mom and Granny been unable to do a thing.

Dad (if he's in the picture), Step Dad, and the Uncles can't really do much...

Where does that leave DC?
Where does that leave these anti-social children?