Facing Emergency, DC prepares to pass new crime bill/* Secure DC Act signed into law 03/11/24

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
The evidence on this is pretty strong.

1) Refusing to prosecute cases without some other means of addressing the issue can be a problem and tends to incentivise crime.

2) However, if you are actually prosecuting cases and sentencing people to prison, harsher sentences don't do anything to decrease crime. Someone who carjacks a vehicle expecting to get 3 years in prison isn't suddenly going to not do it because they might get 10 years. You don't give up 3 years of your prime in a place like prison (and fukk up the rest of your life with that felony conviction) if you were thinking logically in the first place.

On top of that, prison sentences shouldn't be society's main means of addressing crime in the first place. A lot of posters here like @get these nets are purely reactionary, they don't understand human behavior or crime and so they stereotype "criminals" as just those people who need to be locked up. They don't stop to ask why the USA has the largest prison population in the world and yet still has higher rates for most of these crimes than the rest of the developed world. If you're already doing prison harder than any other developed country on Earth, and it still isn't working, then perhaps more of the same isn't going to work either.

DC spends more per student than almost anywhere else in the country except NY.

The states spending the most per pupil were New York ($29,873), the District of Columbia ($27,425), New Jersey ($25,099), Vermont ($24,608), and Connecticut ($24,453).

Lotta y'all talmbout - let's fix the system - acting like City Officials haven't TRIED.
DC is mostly run by a black civil service, and the chief exec is usually Black.
DC is currently run by a Black Female Mayor and Black Female Police Chief.

DC has systems in place....

With limited resources in mind,
  • Spend even more money on the schools?
  • We need more black teachers? DC already has 50% black Teachers
  • Spend even more money on community centers?
  • Spend even more money on "social" services?
  • Spend even more money on Public Service Announcements and Awareness campaigns?
  • Spend even more money on sexual education and contraception?

That's the extent of what the DC Government can do.

But there are some things that government officials cannot do, not in a free society.

What a lot of these kids lack - is a strong family unit at home.

Boys Club don't replace having a father in the house (A good father, a productive and protective father)

Govt can't make people get married and stay married and raise their kids properly.

There are incentives, and we know folks fight over them tax refunds every April.
Who can claim who...and get that check

Promoting Family values is not a solution.

As for Prison.

In terms of prison being ineffective, Inmate #01865 won't be harming anyone in the general public for the term of his incarceration.

The fact that someone else steps to steal cars, car jack, burglarize, sell drugs is immaterial to whatever the Inmate in his cell did.

Prison terms and tough laws don't deter anyone, never have, never will. No one thinks they're gonna get caught.

What incarceration does do - is keep these exact car jackers off the streets.

Assuming the kid gets a fair trial, (DC Public Defenders are top notch), and the judge hands down a reasonable sentence be it boot camp or adult jail - that's really all DC can do.

Unless you're willing to step into some of these households and "stabilize the family" (c) Dr. Umar....

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

Lotta y'all talmbout - let's fix the system - acting like City Officials haven't TRIED.

DC has systems in place....

With limited resources in mind,
  • Spend even more money on the schools?
  • We need more black teachers? DC already has 50% black Teachers
  • Spend even more money on community centers?
  • Spend even more money on "social" services?
  • Spend even more money on Public Service Announcements and Awareness campaigns?
  • Spend even more money on sexual education and contraception?

That's the extent of what the DC Government can do.

But there are some things that government officials cannot do, not in a free society.

Boys Club don't replace having a father in the house (A good father, a productive and protective father)

Govt can't make people get married and stay married and raise their kids properly.

There are incentives, and we know folks fight over them tax refunds every April.
Who can claim who...and get that check

Promoting Family values is not a solution.

As for Prison.

In terms of prison being ineffective, Inmate #01865 won't be harming anyone in the general public for the term of his incarceration.

The fact that someone else steps to steal cars, car jack, burglarize, sell drugs is immaterial to whatever the Inmate in his cell did.

Prison terms and tough laws don't deter anyone, never have, never will. No one thinks they're gonna get caught.

What incarceration does do - is keep these exact car jackers off the streets.

Assuming the kid gets a fair trial, (DC Public Defenders are top notch), and the judge hands down a reasonable sentence be it boot camp or adult jail - that's really all DC can do.

Unless you're willing to step into some of these households and "stabilize the family" (c) Dr. Umar....

Tether babble.

Spend as much money as necessary until the problem is solved.

The need an office of Black men and boys like they have in Boston.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
car insurance is skyrocketing in Vegas because of these fakkits, and i'm sure it's the same in DC. the working class ends up paying for it

anyone caping for car thieves is a clown

Malcolmxxx_23

Let's go panthers
Supporter
Daps
car insurance is skyrocketing in Vegas because of these fakkits, and i'm sure it's the same in DC. the working class ends up paying for it

anyone caping for car thieves is a clown
Insurance companies and car manufacturers are winning rn

Something happening in Canada

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
How many of yall live in DC? It’s one thing to point fingers as an observer…but when you live in the middle of this bullshyt and have to keep your head on a swivel every time you behind the wheel…you want immediate solutions to fix this fukked up situation. We can address the systemic inequalities as well, but there is a direct threat to the citizens of this city that needs to resolved.
Look at these numbers and say with a straight face that we don’t need legislation to address this..

x36cckW.png

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
How many of yall live in DC? It’s one thing to point fingers as an observer…but when you live in the middle of this bullshyt and have to keep your head on a swivel every time you behind the wheel…you want immediate solutions to fix this fukked up situation. We can address the systemic inequalities as well, but there is a direct threat to the citizens of this city that needs to resolved.
Look at these numbers and say with a straight face that we don’t need legislation to address this..

x36cckW.png
I lived in DC area until last year—mostly in Oxon Hill. Was there for all of this. Throwing people in prison isn’t going to stop crime. It’s never worked. Real Investment in anti-poverty programs will. Same with needing more programs around mental health and drug counseling.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
How many of yall live in DC?

I live in SE. My blocks stay hot. And I could be in a worse spot TBH.

Fireworks on the 4th of July, and August, and September...and the rest of them months and the rest of them days.

My DC Native Friends was like, "Don't move to SE"

I'm like, "Man I seen worse, y'all tripping*"

*They were in fact, NOT TRIPPING.

The week after I'm used to my block, this happens to one of the neighbors

20150519-115503.jpg

My time in SE
  • I done picked up shell casings from my parking lot.
  • Multiple cars done like this one above (I sold mine within a month)
  • RIP memorial on the other side of my fence.
  • Seen teenagers brawl over nothing.
  • July 4th is almost every night, and when the sirens fall through it wasn't just M80's
  • The only thing that got the (obvious) drug dealer off this block was they sold the property.
Now there are 2 walking distance community centers from where I stay.
At least 3 schools (RIP Malcolm X HS - but still has the Basketball Court)
And at least one park.

All types of signs telling folks to not litter, all glocks down, etc

Police Presence is not actually heavy (the station is like 20 blocks out), don't see the Feds constantly rolling through

Let the WNBA have a game (so the whites show up), 3 block radius locked down like the Green Zone in Baghdad....
And lol at Beat Cops. (yet even in my few dealings with them, they're on edge...)

The best thing young black male teenagers/young black men can do in SE is MOVE.
DC cannot fix generations of family dysfunction nor the stark economics for this area.

Out of Towners, hell people from NW want to talk about this place but don't live here.
I live here.
I see the BS everyday.
Cats SPORTING their ankle monitors. I should start selling gold accents for em.,,,

These boys gonna do what they gon do. (Same with the females)....

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

D.C. had a massive increase in funding over the last 5 years. Any particular student in the system has only had a few years with those funding levels. That doesn't magically solve problems that were generations in the making. Especially considering that a lot of the funding was necessary to replace shytty infrastructure that a better school system would have had fixed 20 years ago.

What's your background and what's your current occupation? I want to understand how much you've actually looked into this stuff before I waste my time responding to some bullshyt like this.

Obviously that should fix everything. :mjlol:

I already answered what caused this problem, and how that issue has been known for 60+ years. Yes, it will take LONG TERM solutions to solve it, and those solutions will be SLOW. Not some reactionary bullshyt.

As for Prison.

He also won't be parenting his now fatherless kids while he's in prison, which hardens the exact cycle you yourself acknowledge created the situation. :snoop:

Studies show that past a certain rate of incarceration in a community gets much over 2%, further incarceration actually INCREASES crime rates in the community. This is likely because of the combination of kids growing up without fathers, men in the community being unable to get work after release (partly due to felon label and partly due to prison conditioning), and the lack of respect for police and the law that is inevitable in any community that becomes so heavily incarcerated that the police are seen as the opps.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps

Fireworks on the 4th of July, and August, and September...and the rest of them months and the rest of them days.

20150519-115503.jpg

My time in SE
  • July 4th is almost every night, and when the sirens fall through it wasn't just M80's
  • The only thing that got the (obvious) drug dealer off this block was they sold the property.
And at least one park.

Police Presence is not actually heavy (the station is like 20 blocks out), don't see the Feds constantly rolling through

Let the WNBA have a game (so the whites show up), 3 block radius locked down like the Green Zone in Baghdad....
And lol at Beat Cops. (yet even in my few dealings with them, they're on edge...)

DC cannot fix generations of family dysfunction nor the stark economics for this area.

Out of Towners, hell people from NW want to talk about this place but don't live here.
I live here.
I see the BS everyday.
Cats SPORTING their ankle monitors. I should start selling gold accents for em.,,,

I think it can change, but it's literally gonna take face to face meetings. Not community meetings, but face to face starting with the parents.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
Not cool with automatically prosecuting juveniles as adults for car jacking. Especially 16 and under.
I believe if you are old enough to threaten a life with a gun, you need to sit down until you are rehabilitated. I wouldn’t put a time limit on it, but I would put them in a rehab like facility with top notch psychotherapists. Kind of like how they treat mental health patients.

lochead

All Star
Daps
Reppin
I'm from where Petey come from

20150519-115503.jpg

My time in SE
And at least one park.

I live here.
I see the BS everyday.

Sounds like you live in the Congress Park area :francis:

10th Pl, 14th and Congress, Savannah St/ Pl, 1-5 Millionaires, Stanton Rd (Stanton Oaks), Alabama Ave, the shytty Azz Giant. That whole area is a fuccin war zone. THE DEFINITION OF THE TRENCHES :sadcam::damn:

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Sounds like you live in the Congress Park area :francis:

10th Pl, 14th and Congress, Savannah St/ Pl, 1-5 Millionaires, Stanton Rd (Stanton Oaks), Alabama Ave, the shytty Azz Giant. That whole area is a fuccin war zone. THE DEFINITION OF THE TRENCHES :sadcam::damn:

I saw a hood maps, and I'm like, I'm right in the middle of all that.

Might have mentioned it in the DMV post, but I got called up for Jury Duty about something that popped off right next to the Giant.

Judge was like - "Are you familiar with area"
WIA - "Hell yeah, did that happen over there by the..."

Needless to say I wasn't picked for the jury.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps