Every episode of that "#blackAF" show (Netflix) is titled "because of slavery"

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
And he gets clowned for it. The mother and daughter are like "here he goes again" and "we try to ignore him" when he goes on his rants.
That comment he made on how "jews are white".
I wonder how much heat he will get for that.
A lot of whats said on this show is damn near lifted from this site. Even blackish criticisms :russ:Kenya's character is miserable like coli posters because he obsesses over black media depictions. He constantly gets called out for it

you're NOT "n!ggas"

FKA ciroq drobama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Astronomy (8th light)
4 episodes in.. really the only funny shyt for me is the Curb You Enthusiasm styled jokes and whining. I can see some people not liking this though. Low key, did they use the paper bag test on auditions for this show:patrice:
It was a blatant attempt at "Curb" from the trailer. Episodes 4 and 5 were definitely a lot better than the prior ones, I laughed a lot more on them. Prolly cuz there was a lot less whining. That first episode was just :hhh: for me

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset
If the Cosby show was made in 2020, TLR would have a problem with it.

No. The Cosby Show was black identified without being performative or fake woke. The Cosby Show had 2 unambiguous, monoracial black parents in Cliff & Clair. Both parents attended an HBCU, Hillman, which began a very popular spinoff. Of the kids, 3/5 were clearly black. The show constantly showed an positive image of the black family. Bill personally made sure to include positive black art (paintings, music) to encourage black people on a subconscious level.

Kenya, his paper bag cast & his blue check Twitter scripts are miles below the genius that was brought forth by the Cosby Show.

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Nah Insecure is arguably the best active black show on TV. And its authentic, created and written by blacks from LA, not some transplanted nikkas or whites speaking about LA in their perspective...

And Issa is a sister, sister. She's Afrocentric in real life and that is part of her character's personality, too. You should give it a watch. I really just watched it over 3-4 days in the last week, after hearing about it for years. It's as good as any other comedy or sitcom on TV; it's not perfect but its damn good....
Issa Rae draws criticism for saying (three years ago) that black women should date Asian men

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
As prejudging as this sub can be, it's also hilarious seeing nikkas in here upset that people have different opinions than them. :heh:

Eddie_1100

All Star
Daps
:leon: About halfway through the first episode. It’s not as terrible as I was expecting I’m actually enjoying it. Never got into Curb Your Enthusiasm but I’ve watched clips posted here, the sense of comedy kinda hits different so I see why it’s so “take it or leave it” with the responses here..

:ehh:Barring any weird uncomfortable twists between now and the end I’d easily consider watching another episode.

• Dap
Reactions: TEH

southern.girl

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Starkset

@murksiderock I believe Donald Glover said this joke or something like it first. I specifically remember him saying that he gets turned on when non black women call him “ni**er” in bed. He also has a non black partner while Issa is engaged to a black man. But y’all love Donald. This is hypocritical...especially when Donald is more likely a believer of what he said.