Ethan Hawke - "Predestination" (Looper + Inception = :mindBlown:)

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
So does a time loop and so does the idea of giving birth to yourself, it just becomes more and more speculative the further you go down the rabbit hole of what might be possible.
I get the part of giving birth to herself but dont get how she came about in tbr first place :heh: im sure u explained it but I just dont get it :sadbron:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I get the part of giving birth to herself but dont get how she came about in tbr first place :heh: im sure u explained it but I just dont get it :sadbron:

The simple answer is perception!

Because we naturally perceive that time moves forward, we have no problem grasping that there's no ending (because we literally perceive that there's no ending ahead of us). But because we aren't used to time moving backwards (since this is not a natural occurrence), we have a lot more trouble accepting that there's no beginning either (because we naturally perceive that there's a beginning to things (a cause to a consequence)).

Simply put, you have to stop thinking of cause/consequence in a traditional way because time travel changes a major rule about our perception of time, namely that time moves exclusively forward.

Below is long ass explanation of how it works.

Traditionally you have a cause, and following that, a consequence. This is set in stone.

Cause (A) - Consequence (B)

If you were to expand on that, a consequence can be the cause of a new consequence.

Cause (A) - Consequence (B) - Cause (C) - Consequence (D)

or

Cause (A) - Consequence/Cause (B/C) - Consequence (D)

However!

Let's say that for whatever reason, the consequence affects the past.

That could create a scenario where the consequence predates the cause, even as it follows the cause.

Consequence (B) - Cause (A) - Consequence (B) - Cause (C) - Consequence (D)

Note that 'both' consequences are one and the same.

Now what if it turns out this consequence directly influences the cause? In other words, it would be causing the cause.

Consequence/Cause (B/A) - Consequence(B)

This means the consequence is the cause to itself.

Consequence/Cause/Consequence (B/A/B)

If you were to now create the order of sequences, since both B's are the same, you'd get an infinite repetition.

B/A/B/A/B/A/B/A/B/A/B-infinity
------------------------------------------>

Here's the stickler, because of time travel, time does no longer move exclusively forward. Because B is a consequence in both the future and the past, it now moves two ways! Which means every time A happens, a B must happen before it, and an A must happen before the B, etc. This creates a two-way infinite repetition.

infinity-B/A/B/A/B/A/B/A/B/A/B-infinity
<-------------------------------------------------->

No matter how far you try to go back, or how far you try to go forward, it keeps going. Which brings us back to the beginning, namely our perception of time.

Because we naturally perceive that time moves forward, we have no problem grasping that there's no ending to this order of sequences.

But because we aren't used to time moving backwards, we have a lot more trouble accepting that there's no beginning to this order of sequences, even though it follows the exact same reasoning as to why there's no ending either.

And that, is why baby Jane has always been, and will always be, the child of John/Jane.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Saw this movie over the weekend off the strength of this thread and I WAS BLOWN AWAY! Maybe im not smart because i didnt realize they were the same person till the very end. But man that shyt was CRAY

I doubt anyone figured out that they were the same person until close to the end; at least not until the time travel. There was a lot of exposition early on that made it easy to miss the hints. Once you figured it out, you thought about all of the hints, then it seemed obvious, but still watching it was one of the greatest mind-fukks

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is the kind of movie I want to spoil to everyone since I know they won't watch it, just because I recommended it.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Just finished watching this and :damn:

Now I don't ever want to hear about how hard to understand Terminator's time travel is.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
No matter how much nikkas try to explain the shyt..noone is gonna tell me that someone is gonna create themselves and they just came from nothing before them..no matter how much the time travel is explained..that creating ur own self shyt dont make sense and the concept goes beyond time travel...its on some God shyt and since all that wasnt explained in the movie imma look at it as a plot hole...u would have to literally stretch armstrong reach and/or add ur own pieces to the plot to make it make sense..Looper was done better..

Last edited:

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
No matter how much nikkas try to explain the shyt..noone is gonna tell me that someone is gonna create themselves and they just came from nothing before them..no matter how much the time travel is explained..that creating ur own self shyt dont make sense and the concept goes beyond time travel...its on some God shyt and since all that wasnt explained in the movie imma look at it as a plot hole...u would have to literally stretch armstrong reach and/or add ur own pieces to the plot to make it make sense..Looper was done better..
That's how I see it too.. shyt will never make sense to me

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Dont know if this was posted.

Spoilers obviously

QjYYbsL.jpg

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam

If a child is the sum of the parts it genetically inherits from its parents, if those two parents are genetically identical, wouldn't that make the child genetically identical to them as well? It certainly makes for an interesting theory, and since this is a scifi movie and not a documentary, they can take it there.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
If a child is the sum of the parts it genetically inherits from its parents, if those two parents are genetically identical, wouldn't that make the child genetically identical to them as well? It certainly makes for an interesting theory, and since this is a scifi movie and not a documentary, they can take it there.
Nope..having a kid is more random than that..just cause it comes from u doesnt mean it IS u...the sex of a baby is not guaranteed..none of that..if anything the genetics would be too close and either the baby would come out deformed or might cancel itself out and u wont even be able to get pregnant..that or u would have a miscarraige everytime u got pregnant..in order for that theory to work..the plot would have required something else other than just time travel...

Last edited: