Ethan Hawke - "Predestination" (Looper + Inception = :mindBlown:)

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I remember seeing this thread when it was only like four posts long and mentally threw it in the bushes. Saw the upped thread and gave it a chance. I don't really have an issue grasping the time travel element I just wish the characters....or character:patrice: had a somewhat more fleshed out story. Especially the part where John and Jane fall in love with each other. I would have liked to see their relationship become a small subplot. He clearly recognized her/himself(I hate pronouns right about now:mjcry:) so what compelled him to be with her? Did he instantly realize that his "purpose" was to insure his own existence?

First of all, this movie
weebay-o.gif

But back to their relationship, you have to remember that John was still sad about his life and reminiscing. It was probably just minutes before that he mentioned having a love that just left her abruptly one night. I think he thought he could change her life (and his), but as the movie kept saying, it was one of those inevitable things. I don't think he gets it until the lady says he's in the laundrymat. But that's just the order that we see it. He(older Ethan Hawke) has already done this a few times and knows he has to get himself together with himself to ensure he survives.

x-factor7

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I loved the film, but i don't know, i feel like the twist wasn't telegraphed right, like it was already known:
that they were the same person, (it was shown earlier) but they did that big reveal at the end like it was supposed to be a mind-blowing scene. It could've had better execution, but I enjoyed the movie.

calh45

Cal
Daps
I loved the film, but i don't know, i feel like the twist wasn't telegraphed right, like it was already known:
that they were the same person, (it was shown earlier) but they did that big reveal at the end like it was supposed to be a mind-blowing scene. It could've had better execution, but I enjoyed the movie.

I figured it out when..

they went down the stairs. Ethan Hawke sang "I'm my own grandpa" so the big "twist" did nothing for me. I already assumed they were the same person. It's like the writer's couldn't help themselves and needed to spoil it a little bit. I was more fascinated by Robertson's motives. Why set up the entire thing like that? Is it like Neo and the matrix? How many times has this happened? Was Jane/John essentially test pilots for how many times someone could jump

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Just watched it and im confused:sadbron:

I dont even know how to start to explain myself :sadbron:

GzUp

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Spolier alert

Ok so john/jane/hawke are the same person?

Can someone explain the movie please?

Last edited by a moderator:

GzUp

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
Is the point of the movie of what came first, the chicken or the egg?.. thats whete im at in all this mess

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
Is the point of the movie of what came first, the chicken or the egg?.. thats whete im at in all this mess

It's up to interpretation bruh. Some are gunna say that time is a loop and there is no beginning, therefore like you mentioned it a paradox.

I happen to think that's bullshyt, even if that's what the writer intended. I like the alternate theory of John finding out he is the Fizzle bomber and going back in time to "fix" it. Instead he creates a ever increasing mess in ever more alternate dimensions. I hope that makes sense.