ESPN will cancel The Jump and has removed Rachel Nichols from all NBA programming

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
As are all the shows on ESPN. You can hold a lot against her, but that? Nah...all these talking heads focus on gossip, hot takes, narratives and the occasional interview.

I partly agree, and it is the reason why I largely stopped watching ESPN. But from the shows I do watch, I can at least get some nuggets of actual sports analysis between the nonsense.

I remember years ago them doing a whole segment on Michael Jordan's birthday. It was ridiculous.Youtube has been a godsend for filtering a lot of that stuff out.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
As are all the shows on ESPN. You can hold a lot against her, but that? Nah...all these talking heads focus on gossip, hot takes, narratives and the occasional interview.

I disagree. There's people who are naturally entertaining that focus on the game first and foremost, like Jalen.

This drama focused ESPN is relatively new. It wasn't like this prior to the Skips and SAS of the world. Even Jim Rome was focused more on actual sports when he had his shows.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What happened to the whole narrative that Nichols has leverage on ESPN because she could sue them for the leaked audio? Now she's out of a job, so she either didn't have a case or ESPN just didn't give a shyt and got rid of her

That never really had any legs. If she were to bring a suit, best result is it gets settled out of court, and her career is effectively over. Look up Colleen Dominguez. She sued Fox Sports for ageism, and that ended her run in broadcasting.

Even if she did pursue it, her main argument is that the company retaliated against her for her comments. The problem with that is that ESPN actively worked to kill the story when word got out about it last year, and they would argue it was done to shield her. Additionally, them paying her to stay home gets them lots of shielding too. It also really doesn't help that if we're being honest, her disparaging the company like that while on site somewhere in a function represented the company is something that would get most people fired.

Realistically speaking, some version of this was probably the intended outcome as soon as they knew about this audio last year. It going public just sped up the timeline. :yeshrug:

Joe_tu-pac

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
wow....that's a major L for her.

that said, they need a NBA show, wonder what it's going to look like and who will host. seems like a great opp to use jalen more, they love perk so i'm sure he'll be back....i'd like to see ros called up, but seems malika has the juice.

They need to get Ryan Hollins his own show. He’s got great comedic value.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I disagree. There's people who are naturally entertaining that focus on the game first and foremost, like Jalen.

This drama focused ESPN is relatively new. It wasn't like this prior to the Skips and SAS of the world. Even Jim Rome was focused more on actual sports when he had his shows.
I don’t watch Jalen other than Jalen and Jacoby and that’s 80% nonsense - so I can’t speak on how he might go deeper about the game on countdown or get up. But these daytime shows/hosts haven’t been about analysis for a good 5 years. They always bring in a “guest” for real breakdowns and it’s always a quick segment. Most sports consumers don’t care about X’s and O’s, they want big picture reporting and cursory overviews

Phantum

The Charisma of the Streets
Daps
She must have snapped, flipped a table, and called someone a you know what :mjpls:

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
giphy.webp