Epic Games had to rewrite parts of UE5 to keep up with PS5'S SSD.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
Like this is all wrong.

You don’t understand what you are talking about.
Neither do game developers
Playstation 5 Enables Developers to Skip LOD Step Due to SSD Capability

Tobias Graff, CEO of Mooneye Studios, developer of Lost Ember stated:

Just as with the normal maps, this step can likely be skipped completely for a lot of objects as well. The SSDs are probably the true heroes in all this, because all of the other features likely wouldn’t be possible if it weren’t possible to load these huge models and information sets fast enough.

But you got all the answers. They all must be wrong. Its just a big conspiracy.
tenor.gif

Im sure that if it all this praise was for the Xbox , you would be yelling it on top of every building.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Neither do game developers
Playstation 5 Enables Developers to Skip LOD Step Due to SSD Capability

Tobias Graff, CEO of Mooneye Studios, developer of Lost Ember stated:

Just as with the normal maps, this step can likely be skipped completely for a lot of objects as well. The SSDs are probably the true heroes in all this, because all of the other features likely wouldn’t be possible if it weren’t possible to load these huge models and information sets fast enough.

But you got all the answers. They all must be wrong. Its just a big conspiracy.
tenor.gif

Im sure that if it all this praise was for the Xbox , you would be yelling it on top of every building.
Like I said you don’t understand what the fukk you are talking about. I’m not sure where you got your little janky website from but he sounds confused too.

What Epic claimed in the demo was not that there would not be any LODs. There will always be LODs in games. There was LODs in the epic demo. Their claim was that devs will no longer have to worry about managing them. The engine will do it for them.
How Epic got such amazing Unreal Engine 5 results on next-gen consoles
Epic said:
“In current game design, game artists usually squash their in-game 3D models down to a few different levels of detail (LODs), each with fewer polygons and smaller textures than the last. Those low-poly models can be subbed in when an object is far away from the in-game camera, saving both memory space and rendering time in complex scenes, without much loss in apparent frame quality.

With Nanite, Epic says artists can instead just directly import raw "movie quality" 3D models from a library like Quixel Megascans into the engine, without the need to specifically design lower LOD models for use in the game. The engine can then automatically create LOD models that are appropriate for the scene and the target hardware, from a next-gen console on down to a mobile phone.“

and epic says nothing about a SSD being responsible for this. It’s their engine doing it, not PS5s SSD.

Like I said it’s clear you don’t really understand how most of this works, you are just repeating bits and pieces of marketing info.

• Dap
Reactions: PS4

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
Like I said you don’t understand what the fukk you are talking about. I’m not sure where you got your little janky website from but he sounds confused too.

What Epic claimed in the demo was not that there would not be any LODs. There will always be LODs in games. There was LODs in the epic demo. Their claim was that devs will no longer have to worry about managing them. The engine will do it for them.
How Epic got such amazing Unreal Engine 5 results on next-gen consoles

and epic says nothing about a SSD being responsible for this. It’s their engine doing it, not PS5s SSD.

Like I said it’s clear you don’t really understand how most of this works, you are just repeating bits and pieces of marketing info.

I wasnt talking about UE5 in this instance, but more of Sony's first party studios. Even the naughty dog developer mentioned it.
Like sony first party studios will have the option of skipping low-texture assets for LOD if they wish since they wont be in the constraints of a HDD no more.

and yeah , nanite does the scaling but the high-texture LOD is thanks to the SSD . Nanite will be used in other devices but the LOD in those devices will start at a lower texture than ones in next-gen consoles.
Your article mentions this as well.

On high-end hardware, Epic says the top end of those LOD models can now be detailed enough so that each polygon only takes up a single pixel on the screen. At 4K resolutions, that level of "Render Everything Your Eye Sees" detail can require tens of billions of polygons for even a moderately complex scene (though Epic concedes that its demo drops to 1440p at points to preserve performance).

On existing hardware, putting that many polygons in a frame would overload the system memory and overwhelm the "draw count" budget needed to render the scene in time for the next frame. Unreal Engine 5 gets around those limitations by making use of the ultra-fast bulk storage SSDs that will be standard on next-generation consoles.

Edit: And what i meant when i said skip LOD, is that game developers wont have to create different texture levels for the same asset in a game. For example , a tree in a game like GTA5 wont have to degrade or downgrade it's texture as the player moves further away from it. Creating those different LOD levels takes time , an artist would have to create 5 duplicates at different textures and then an enginneer would have to load the asset and make sure that its selecting the correct LOD according to the position of the player.

Last edited:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Yeah , sony has all these people in their pocket. Like i understand maybe tim sweeny but everybody else?
tenor.gif
Sony sold less ps3's than xbox 360's so they decided to group ps2 and ps3 sales as ps3 sales without telling anyone. Articles was posted everywhere how ps3 has surpassed xbox in sales. Why is that important? Well, that's like asking why is it important what color jesus was? If it's not important why change it?

Why is lying mandatory? It could be me. But im not the only person who notices...

A Look Back at Sony's Overblown PlayStation 3 Promises

Im sorry, that's last gen. Let's stick to this gen. And they go in on the types of ppl you thought didn't exist

The truth will be confirmed in a few months, may bloodshed be the path to superiority fore there can only be one :banderas:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I wasnt talking about UE5 in this instance,
Yeah you were. That’s what the people in your link were referencing:comeon:
Even the naughty dog developer mentioned it.
Like sony first party studios will have the option of skipping low-texture assets for LOD if they wish since they wont be in the constraints of a HDD no more.
Like I said you are misunderstanding what you are talking about. No one will have the option of skipping LODs. Unless naughty dog has written something in their engine like what’s in UE5. A SSD doesn’t just make you not have to worry about processing power. LODs exist to save CPU/GPU time. It’s not about storage speed at all. Obviously having faster storage means you can stream in assets faster but ultimately it’s the CPU/GPU load that dictates how different LODs will be used.

On existing hardware, putting that many polygons in a frame would overload the system memory and overwhelm the "draw count" budget needed to render the scene in time for the next frame.
System memory=ram
“Draw count budget”=GPU time.

Like I said ultimately it’s the other components of the system that dictate the LODs. The SSD helps stream stuff in faster but ultimately you can only display as much as the rest of the hardware can handle.
And what i meant when i said skip LOD, is that game developers wont have to create different texture levels for the same asset in a game. For example , a tree in a game like GTA5 wont have to degrade or downgrade it's texture as the player moves further away from it. Creating those different LOD levels takes time , an artist would have to create 5 duplicates at different textures and then an enginneer would have to load the asset and make sure that its selecting the correct LOD according to the position of the player.
That’s the claim IF they use UE5 but even then it won’t be so simple cause the games would be huge if they just used all top quality assets all the time. The unreal demo was rumored to be 100GB itself. Devs will create lower quality assets if not for anything else just to manage the overall size of the game.

What the SSD will do is reduce or totally eliminate pop-in. The LOD transitions will be smooth and unnoticeable and Draw distances will be longer.

Last edited:

Koba St

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Looks like Microsoft fukked up again. SSD will be the game changer this gen not teraflops.

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
System memory=ram
“Draw count budget”=GPU time.

Like I said ultimately it’s the other components of the system that dictate the LODs. The SSD helps stream stuff in faster but ultimately you can only display as much as the rest of the hardware can handle.

That’s the claim IF they use UE5 but even then it won’t be so simple cause the games would be huge if they just used all top quality assets all the time. The unreal demo was rumored to be 100GB itself. Devs will create lower quality assets if not for anything else just to manage the overall size of the game.

What the SSD will do is reduce or totally eliminate pop-in. The LOD transitions will be smooth and unnoticeable and Draw distances will be longer.

I like how you conveniently leave out the next line where they say that its thanks to the SSD that they were able to get around those memory limitations.
And the SSD does help developers somewhat keep the game size down , which i imagine they still will fill up with other things instead. You do know they have to
duplicate assets due to the constraints of an HDD?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I like how you conveniently leave out the next line where they say that its thanks to the SSD that they were able to get around those memory limitations.
I didn’t leave out anything. Once again you don’t understand what the hell you are talking about so it makes this convo difficult.

They don’t say it’s “thanks to the SSD” they say the SSD basically extends the amount of usable ram. Since they can stream data in and out very fast they don’t have to hold so much data on the ram itself. This matters on consoles because there’s a finite amount of RAM. On PC you can always add more ram, so it’s a different situation.

And the SSD does help developers somewhat keep the game size down , which i imagine they still will fill up with other things instead. You do know they have to
duplicate assets due to the constraints of an HDD?

This is true, but on the other hand the assets themselves are getting larger and larger so the gains in storage space will kinda get canceled out by the fact that assets are larger than they’ve ever been.

Again that U5 demo was 100gb itself. Don’t matter if it’s a SSD or HDD devs are gonna still gonna have to manage the size of their games without even talking about performance.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Coming back to read this thread and and the hype nonsense you stans were eating up :wow:

@Rice N Beans even took a quote from here in sigged it up.

Now looking back literally EVERYTHING I said in here was facts and y’all was running with the Sony Koolaid AGAIN.

Sony stans a wild bunch :mjlol: