End of Netflix?—Disney pulling ALL content for own Disney and ESPN streaming platform; $NFLX tanks

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
The minute Disney Acquired Marvel and Star Wars they should have been launched their own Digital Distribution Streaming Service with Original Content...

That way they could have had their own Network they left money on the table for years because they board of directors is a bunch of fukking idiots. They should have been on that future kick. but they didnt get it now they getting in late in the game. :francis:

Disagree

They've used these movies from Marvel and Star Wars to size up their audiences. One could argue that these properties have gotten so big in size and popularity that releasing their content in theaters is too slow a process and having their own platform to release when they want is the way to go. Like I said this moves them closer to the Direct2Consumer model.

Just look at the list of movies that make money every year now Disney is leading the pack by a wide margain. Cut the theaters out and invest in your own service. Movie theater biz is dying anyways

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Fresh Prince was NBC.

Martin and Living Single are Fox.

I think the only viable black sitcoms that ABC has are Family Matters and Black-ish. I don't think anybody is really craving old episodes of Good Times or The Jeffersons.

I think Hulu has a deal with ABC, but I can see that getting pulled with this new deal.

How Prime and Hulu will be affected is begin overlooked too. They have a bunch of Disney owned stuff on their services also.
:mjlol: at this post. The folks leading the disscussion in the thread don't know WTF they talking about.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Disagree

They've used these movies from Marvel and Star Wars to size up their audiences. One could argue that these properties have gotten so big in size and popularity that releasing their content in theaters is too slow a process and having their own platform to release when they want is the way to go. Like I said this moves them closer to the Direct2Consumer model.

Just look at the list of movies that make money every year now Disney is leading the pack by a wide margain. Cut the theaters out and invest in your own service. Movie theater biz is dying anyways

Like I said Disney should have BEEN did their own service...:comeon:

They getting into the game WAY LATE... Iger who's running disney should have took the netflix approach the minute they came in the game, shyt caught fire now they trying to play catchup... :francis: What Specifically do you disagree with?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Viacom's shyt will flop too.

This is definitely an attempt to drive people back to cable though. Disney really is the only company that could make this work, and that's mostly because they have such a huge library. Too bad they sold Miramax.
:dead: See what I'm talking about people leading the conseration in thread, don't WTF they're talking about. Warner Bros. & I think 20th Centruy Fox defintely have a bigger library than Disney.

Just think about how many movies that Warner Bros. puts out a year & how many TV shows in primetime television are produced by Warner Bros. I'm not even including HBO/TNT/Cartoon Network content which are all owned by Time Warner.

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
Like I said Disney should have BEEN did their own service...:comeon:

They getting into the game WAY LATE... Iger who's running disney should have took the netflix approach the minute they came in the game, shyt caught fire now they trying to play catchup... :francis: What Specifically do you disagree with?

That they got in late. It's never too late the tech has only gotten better in the years that they did not immediately get in.

And I mean honestly they didn't just decide to hop in they knew where they wanted to go for years now

Money is not an issue in terms of producing original content. Just off their brand/toy/licensing business they can afford to make a Star Wars TV show.

And if they start to exit the movie to theater model they can take all that $$ to invest in original content. Not taking anything away from what Netflix has done or any of these other streaming services but Disney's reach is just not matched here. We really haven't seen a company with this type of portfolio plant their flag in this business in terms of their track record of producing content.

All to get families to go to their theme parks - which btw hit record revenues this quarter

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
quality vs quantity is a strong dilemma right now...and they're VERY broke.

They have to do it though, because what will happen is the license deals will expire and if they do not pay them, they will lose all the content. This is why they are making deals elsewhere in the world. This is why Scott Stuber was brought on, to build a film library.

Netflix was originally a one-stop shop, but the studios have always been about distribution. If Netflix doesn't keep making original films and TV shows they might as well let someone buy them. I don't think Reed Hastings wants to work for someone else.

He didn't become a billionaire by accident.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
That they got in late. It's never too late the tech has only gotten better in the years that they did not immediately get in.

And I mean honestly they didn't just decide to hop in they knew where they wanted to go for years now

Money is not an issue in terms of producing original content. Just off their brand/toy/licensing business they can afford to make a Star Wars TV show.

And if they start to exit the movie to theater model they can take all that $$ to invest in original content. Not taking anything away from what Netflix has done or any of these other streaming services but Disney's reach is just not matched here. We really haven't seen a company with this type of portfolio plant their flag in this business in terms of their track record of producing content.

All to get families to go to their theme parks - which btw hit record revenues this quarter

Ok fair enough...:ld: I dont think Disney gonna get out the movie model game, I mean the Marvel movies make a billion a pop easy... :mjlol: Hopefully the original content that disney creates can be good because the Disney XD stuff is :scust: :mindblown:

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
Ok fair enough...:ld: I dont think Disney gonna get out the movie model game, I mean the Marvel movies make a billion a pop easy... :mjlol: Hopefully the original content that disney creates can be good because the Disney XD stuff is :scust: :mindblown:

Peep the timing of when their platform service drops though

Now line that up with what we know about Marvel and Star Wars release dates

Avengers 4 & Episode 9 have May 2019 release dates. We don't know anything beyond that.

Obviously those won't be the end, and Feige a few weeks ago even hinted that whatever comes after Infinity War may not even be Phases anymore but something else entirely

You're right I'm not saying they would completely exit the theater business, but they have enough content at their disposal where releasing movies in theaters according to that schedule just isn't beneficial for all their properties

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I haven't heard of Starz or Showtime making any streaming services.

HBO after GoT is done... well yeah their gonna need to fall back :manny:

shyt is silly. Like dude was saying, people got 3-4 streaming services they will subscribe too. The whole reason people went down this route, was because shyt isn't as expensive as cable.

Game of Thrones is never ending. They will do prequels to Robert's Rebellion and all types of shyt.