Eminem - The Death of Slim Shady Official Thread

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!

What happened to this Em?

I swear he’ll never ever go back to this style for some reason

He sobered up. If you think about it, that song dropped in late 2006, that was the final time we heard from Eminem (minus a guest appearance on Curtis) for a long time. He went and hid in his house, did a lot of pills, and ate a bunch of Taco Bell.

Hyperion

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land of The North
Facts, that joint is genuinely the "old Eminem" that everybody talks about, a lot of this other shhit they're mentioning aint really it, lol. I wish he'd stay in that "Underground" bag for a whole album but ehh, he probably doesn't want/like to stay on some old shh!t, just artistically, for more than a song or two here and there.

"It's always forward I'm movin, never backwards stupid" - Nas

Nas is another one who gets the same shh!t...and he only really gives us glimpses of it. I'm sure if he wanted to he could just be "Escobar" or 94 Nas again rap wise, it's not that difficult. Nigs are artists though, they don't wanna do that.

Yeah, for artists, making the same thing over and over is boring. Eventually people will get bored too, the last thing they want is for everyone to say "you've heard one album, you've heard them all".

CM_Burns

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Slim Shady died long ago... that's why Relapse flopped. Some people forget that Eminem had an aura on the first few albums like he really was a crazy, reckless whiteboy that was doing a lot of drugs, living on the edge, and might crash out at any time.

Now we know he's a shy guy who just loves hip hop, this kind of rapping doesn't really hit anymore and hasn't for a long time. Probably since 8 Mile.

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
Eminem peaked from The Eminem show to 8 mile imo.

He had some maturity and insight to himself that really made his music from that period really good with some lasting value.

I don't know why he became more immature and shallow after he got sober. Maybe being sober made him more self-conscious and it made it harder for him to put himself out there emotionally like that or something.

Big Dick

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Facts, that joint is genuinely the "old Eminem" that everybody talks about, a lot of this other shhit they're mentioning aint really it, lol. I wish he'd stay in that "Underground" bag for a whole album but ehh, he probably doesn't want/like to stay on some old shh!t, just artistically, for more than a song or two here and there.

"It's always forward I'm movin, never backwards stupid" - Nas

Nas is another one who gets the same shh!t...and he only really gives us glimpses of it. I'm sure if he wanted to he could just be "Escobar" or 94 Nas again rap wise, it's not that difficult. Nigs are artists though, they don't wanna do that.
I agree but I don’t even need the underground content of “angry” em I just like the flow and delivery and the back and forth rhyme schemes vs the flows now.

I feel like most of his commercial fans miss the old “angry” and “edgy” Em. I just miss the old flows and delivery. So annoying that he had so many different great flows and deliveries in his bag throughout the years and this current trash one is the only one he’s stuck with and her multiple albums. SSLP, MMLP and the Eminem Show all had completely different styles.

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eminem peaked from The Eminem show to 8 mile imo.

He had some maturity and insight to himself that really made his music from that period really good with some lasting value.

I don't know why he became more immature and shallow after he got sober. Maybe being sober made him more self-conscious and it made it harder for him to put himself out there emotionally like that or something.
i think its the fame that he never adapted to. his personality simply didnt match superstardom. he used drugs as a crutch and that almost cost him his life. one way or another they dont really make it out see elvis mj prince cobain amy lennon and countless others.

dude just likes hip hop and in particular rhyming but not much else...

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
i think its the fame that he never adapted to. his personality simply didnt match superstardom. he used drugs as a crutch and that almost cost him his life. one way or another they dont really make it out see elvis mj prince cobain amy lennon and countless others.

dude just likes hip hop and in particular rhyming but not much else...
Very good point.

In his early days, a lot of his creative energy came from being poor white trash from the outskirts of Detroit. A lot of his creative content stemmed from the issues he dealt with then.

Then, when he peaked, he was dealing with drama with his mother, Kim, trying to be a dad, and dealing with newfound fame and fortune and all the drama that came along with that.

But after a while, he's been had money, been famous, the kids grew up, etc.

What does he really have to say anymore?

I think the same thing kind of happened to 50 (in a different way) in the sense that at a certain point, a lot of what fueled his early success weren't part of his life any more and it was hard for him to find material to leverage into good creative output.

At least 50 was able to pivot into a new lane with the show production and stuff like that.