Elliot Wilson doesn’t think Donald Glover is Hip Hop culture

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
There's a reason people like J. Cole and Kendrick Lamar are so much bigger than bro.

This is a terrible take. Respectfully.

Donald never set out to be a lyrical monster like those 2, nor does he probably have that skillset. But Those 2 have never made a Redbone either bc they dont that have that skillset.

Because.....they're not the same type of artists

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
I don't think it is tbh.

I think Donald Glover is a guy who 100% needs studio magic to even be somewhat relevant as a musician.

And if he didn't have the money to burn or a TV fandom in the first place, he'd have no career in music whatsoever.

One of the most overrated artists from the last 16 years outside of Kid Cudi, Charles Hamilton and Lupe Fiasco.

They're like the awkward KTT Black Guy four horseman.

Respectfully.

He did good at the Usher tribute live on stage.

Look, it's simple, is he the mega star he appeared to be on Redbone song....no. If you want to say he's overrated because of that songs success, okay. But when you combine all his acting, rapping, singing, he's not overrated and gets the proper amount of respect I think. Nobody considers him to be elite.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset

Donald never set out to be a lyrical monster like those 2, nor does he probably have that skillset. But Those 2 have never made a Redbone either bc they dont that have that skillset.

This is simply not true, he TRIED to be a bar rapper and no one was hearing that shyt because he still was in primarily white people and backpack rap purists circles until Redbone (2016). once that took off he NEVER went back into that bag again forreal.

He doesn't even try to rap like this anymore

Even did real freestyles tryna prove he was really on that level

most of these views came after he blew up and people doubled back for the old shyt

Because the Internet was a concept album in the same vein as GKMC and he didn't really get anywhere near the same props or attention from black media at the time, I think the only notable person who saluted that project on video was Vince Staples years later, and even then the reason he brought it up was to say that project got slept on when it was a crazier concept than GKMC. Even on this site it's hard to convince nikkas how crazy it was at the time because the website it came out on is gone now so they don't know how creative of a concept that album was. He definitely tried to be in that J. Cole/Kendrick convo :ufdup:

Imo it didn't work because
his angle was "I'm misunderstood because I'm nicer than these nikkas but I don't come from the typical black background so people sleep on me, I check more boxes than anyone" or atleast that was the energy it gave off with his deadpan delivery and sarcasm.

No way that was gonna catch on with majority rap fans, especially because he was already paid from film so there wasn't a real "journey" from rags to riches and we know rap fans usually need that

It worked for Tyler because he was a broke teenager and they did enough shock stuff to get eyes on the creative shyt so atleast people could see that and respect the come up.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Tell Elliot Willson to criticize maino.

Bet money he wont.

EW used to sh*t on Maino too. LOL!!

Saying he was trash lyrically. Maino spoke about it before. But Maino is actually Hip Hop though, and he's written for other rappers too. So dude has always been Hip Hop, even though his raps ain't really been that dope.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
gatekeeping who is hip-hop and who's not is getting crazy. hip-hop has evolved and i think gambino is a result of that evolution: rap, sing, comfortable being vulnerable, can go back and forth from making soul music to hip-hop to alternative. he's talented and hip-hop should embrace him more and his comment at the BET awards is facts.

i would compare gambino to a new and improved will smith. both can rap, act, produce shows but gambino can sing and do stand-up comedy.
Nope...that's what hip hop was built on...it's you b1tch ass niccas letting everyone into the party citing a need for 'range' that has got the genre and culture all fucced up...there's no quality control

Clapsteel O'Neal

Daps
Reppin
NULL
If bino drop in 1992 he be with de la soul arrested Development and PM Dawn

If he drops In 1998 he with black star and blackeye peas

If he drop in 2003 he with little brother, kanye

He better singer then rapper but this is America the most important rap song to drop outside of what kendrick doing in terms of social commentary
:laff::laff::laff:

Clapsteel O'Neal

Daps
Reppin
NULL

Nicca, what??? You cite redbone as if it isn't a cherry cola funk cosplay lmaooo that album is the very definition of black starbucks music...and DG couldn't dream of making a S80, let alone a GKMD or TPAB even if he collected all the dragonballs and wished for it.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Redbone is Donald Glover realizing that Black people played Electric Guitars and Basses too.
And then biting the fukk out of an actual Black Rock/Funkstar.

Bootsy Collins>>>> Donald Glovers life.

Sidenote:
Bootsy is why I picked up a bass.
Respect to the OG.

Don Snow

All Star
Daps
Hes a guest in the house of hiphop:mjlol:

There are no hiphop fans who are FANS of Childish Gambino. Your only listening to those records for the same reason we listened to Will Smith records. And thats because Will Smith the actor is rapping.

Disclaimer-not including those who were Will Smith fans before he was the Fresh Prince
Will was a rapper before he was an actor though :dead: