Elliot Wilson doesn’t think Donald Glover is Hip Hop culture

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Will was a rapper before he was an actor though :dead:

You missed the disclaimer. Im sure there was a generation who didnt know Will Smith was a rapper before he started acting. They were listening to "Switch" because Will was one of the most famous actors in the world. Not because he had bars and people thought he was talented. Gambino is getting alot of those same kind of listens.

"Oh,that guy I like as a comedian and actor just dropped a song,let me check it out:ohhh:"

Hes done nothing to get any respect to be apart of the hiphop community. We respect Will because he was a rapper first. Gambino has leveraged his acting fame into a music career.

Its no different than Kobe or Shaq rapping.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is simply not true, he TRIED to be a bar rapper and no one was hearing that shyt because he still was in primarily white people and backpack rap purists circles until Redbone (2016). once that took off he NEVER went back into that bag again forreal.

He doesn't even try to rap like this anymore

Even did real freestyles tryna prove he was really on that level

most of these views came after he blew up and people doubled back for the old shyt

Because the Internet was a concept album in the same vein as GKMC and he didn't really get anywhere near the same props or attention from black media at the time, I think the only notable person who saluted that project on video was Vince Staples years later, and even then the reason he brought it up was to say that project got slept on when it was a crazier concept than GKMC. Even on this site it's hard to convince nikkas how crazy it was at the time because the website it came out on is gone now so they don't know how creative of a concept that album was. He definitely tried to be in that J. Cole/Kendrick convo :ufdup:

Imo it didn't work because
his angle was "I'm misunderstood because I'm nicer than these nikkas but I don't come from the typical black background so people sleep on me, I check more boxes than anyone" or atleast that was the energy it gave off with his deadpan delivery and sarcasm.

No way that was gonna catch on with majority rap fans, especially because he was already paid from film so there wasn't a real "journey" from rags to riches and we know rap fans usually need that

It worked for Tyler because he was a broke teenager and they did enough shock stuff to get eyes on the creative shyt so atleast people could see that and respect the come up.

I still remember there being unironic "He's a GOAT" or "He's my GOAT" talks around this time.

And it was almost ALWAYS from people like Gambino.
The types who were REALLY ignorant to Hip-Hop and what all was available in the genre.

Donald Glover wanted to appear as some kind of pioneering type who made it "okay" to not be a super thug.
The very base idea of what he was trying to prove was already disproven very early on in Hip-Hop.

To people who absolutely refuse to meet Hip-Hop where it's at and try to understand the various schools of thought
within it, the different scenes and cultures within it and the various ideas about Hip-Hop as art within it, Donald
Glover is a "Breath of Fresh Air".

To people who were around to see Tribe AND Naughty by Nature, Ice Cube AND Common, Kendrick Lamar AND Future, this
depth and breadth of experiences has ALWAYS existed.

Not to mention, bro has repeatedly spoken up Rock and Rock n' Roll and the post-Nirvana myth making within the genre.
Like it's always been about being "Deep" or "Having something to say".

It's just insulting bullshyt to anyone who actually really loves this Rap shyt.

So of course this dude went in blind not understanding what he was up against and ultimately fukking failed to be Kanye West 2.0.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
1). Black Americans cannot “Cosplay” a genre of music we INVENTED. If you are black and American, Hip Hop is a part of you whether it plays a significant role in your life or not. Donald Glover grew up in Stone Mountain, Ga and was immersed in rap music/culture from an early age despite being the son of strict Jehovah Witness parents and also being a bit of a theater kid. He’s literally been rapping since he was 17 years old.

2). Donald Glover has EIGHT mixtapes, an EP, 2 albums, and a Gangsta Grills tape of him rapping. If thats not Hip Hop then neither is the discography of Tyler The Creator, who everyone dikkrides, or Drake, who can’t even WRITE a rap lyric to save his life.

3). F U C K Elliot Wilson.

I dont give a damn how many albums he has,nikkas dont listen to him like that. And if he wasnt an actore he would never in a million years get a Gangsta Grillz which just proves the point. Hes leveraged his actor clout to make inroads in hiphop. He is Miley Cyrus status essentially. And if he was white yall wouldnt be calling him hiphop. Man has the same career path as Post Malone who im sure yall dont rock with.

And yeah,if you think Tyler,Travis Scott,Xxxtenacion. Or any of those other weird nikkas are hiphop? Well I wont say they arent hiphop,but frankly I wouldnt want to hear that persons opinion on whos hiphop and who aint:mjlol:

mag357

Superstar
Daps
Starting to get into the real conversation
They started lumping everything as hip hop.
Got a lot of corny ass weird nikkaz in the game.
But they became popular because lots of blacks are corny ass weird nikkaz. They need music too

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
This is simply not true, he TRIED to be a bar rapper and no one was hearing that shyt because he still was in primarily white people and backpack rap purists circles until Redbone (2016). once that took off he NEVER went back into that bag again forreal.

He doesn't even try to rap like this anymore

Even did real freestyles tryna prove he was really on that level

most of these views came after he blew up and people doubled back for the old shyt

Because the Internet was a concept album in the same vein as GKMC and he didn't really get anywhere near the same props or attention from black media at the time, I think the only notable person who saluted that project on video was Vince Staples years later, and even then the reason he brought it up was to say that project got slept on when it was a crazier concept than GKMC. Even on this site it's hard to convince nikkas how crazy it was at the time because the website it came out on is gone now so they don't know how creative of a concept that album was. He definitely tried to be in that J. Cole/Kendrick convo :ufdup:

Imo it didn't work because
his angle was "I'm misunderstood because I'm nicer than these nikkas but I don't come from the typical black background so people sleep on me, I check more boxes than anyone" or atleast that was the energy it gave off with his deadpan delivery and sarcasm.

No way that was gonna catch on with majority rap fans, especially because he was already paid from film so there wasn't a real "journey" from rags to riches and we know rap fans usually need that

It worked for Tyler because he was a broke teenager and they did enough shock stuff to get eyes on the creative shyt so atleast people could see that and respect the come up.

:ehh:Facts, I remember he’s stans were pushing. These two songs as proof that he was a spitter lol…pause

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I still remember there being unironic "He's a GOAT" or "He's my GOAT" talks around this time.

The types who were REALLY ignorant to Hip-Hop and what all was available in the genre.

Donald Glover wanted to appear as some kind of pioneering type who made it "okay" to not be a super thug.
The very base idea of what he was trying to prove was already disproven very early on in Hip-Hop.

To people who absolutely refuse to meet Hip-Hop where it's at and try to understand the various schools of thought
within it, the different scenes and cultures within it and the various ideas about Hip-Hop as art within it, Donald

To people who were around to see Tribe AND Naughty by Nature, Ice Cube AND Common, Kendrick Lamar AND Future, this

Not to mention, bro has repeatedly spoken up Rock and Rock n' Roll and the post-Nirvana myth making within the genre.

So of course this dude went in blind not understanding what he was up against and ultimately fukking failed to be Kanye West 2.0.
It ain't even all of that though :mjlol:

I'm just saying no one was ever gonna relate to already being rich before starting to rap, I get that was his truth but it was just never gonna fly, everyone doesn't have a sellable origin story, there weren't any other rappers with that life experience so if he felt like he was unique in that sense you can't really argue against it, shyt just isn't a marketable story like that, dude was immediately successful at damn near anything he tried off rip except comedy, rap fans need to see some type of struggle and "depressed actor" just aint hitting it

Drake was gonna have this same issue if Wayne didn't get to him early and get him hip to the culture, woulda been worse cuz atleast Glover had a huge fanbase for being in big shows so he still had them packing his shows, no one gave a damn about Jimmy as a character in degrassi.

Once he stopped trying to get black people to relate like that he was fine, I was just pointing out that he 100% tried to be a bar heavy rapper first cuz breh i quoted clearly didn't do his research.

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tbh, i'm not hearing Tyler's not hip hop though...he's very well versed in the history of the culture in the correct way. He's just a clown nicca.

And there's a whole sea of gangsta rappers, including some of your favourites, that are not hip hop neither, and are completely coasting off being a gangsta rapper to ducc the tomatoes that should be thrown at them.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
It ain't even all of that though :mjlol:

I'm just saying no one was ever gonna relate to already being rich before starting to rap, I get that was his truth but it was just never gonna fly, everyone doesn't have a sellable origin story, there weren't any other rappers with that life experience so if he felt like he was unique in that sense you can't really argue against it, shyt just isn't a marketable story like that, dude was immediately successful at damn near anything he tried off rip except comedy, rap fans need to see some type of struggle and "depressed actor" just aint hitting it

Drake was gonna have this same issue if Wayne didn't get to him early and get him hip to the culture, woulda been worse cuz atleast Glover had a huge fanbase for being in big shows so he still had them packing his shows, no one gave a damn about Jimmy as a character in degrassi.

Once he stopped trying to get black people to relate like that he was fine, I was just pointing out that he 100% tried to be a bar heavy rapper first cuz breh i quoted clearly didn't do his research.
Dude was whiny as hell on that Bet Awards show

I'm sure dude gets opportunities that %99 of rappers don't get in other areas

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
:ehh:Facts, I remember he’s stans were pushing. These two songs as proof that he was a spitter lol…pause

:ehh:Freaks and Geeks is one of his best.

shyt you don't even gotta go that far with it, in the 00's there was A GANG of backpack-nerd rap ass nikkas back then.

Blackalicious, Juggaknots etc. all that kind of stuff was there. Some was decent, some was ehhhh, but it was there.

:ehh:truth be told, a documentary on that era would be fire.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
EW used to sh*t on Maino too. LOL!!

Saying he was trash lyrically. Maino spoke about it before. But Maino is actually Hip Hop though, and he's written for other rappers too. So dude has always been Hip Hop, even though his raps ain't really been that dope.

So I don't watch the rap radar podcast...ive tried a couple times and hated it.

Long as he on his @Art Barr shyt and tabling everyone who not from the pillars or whatever then thats his opinion.

long as he being fair with it.

edit: did maino check him :russ:

Last edited:

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York

You know whats crazy; Kanye west is in every mainstream GOAT rapper list and this was his thing.

I listen to almost exclusively street rap; but there should be space for other lanes.

Its bizarre because there are SO many thread negatively talking about the "impact" of street rap.

But people are SO quick to completely shyt on anything that ISN'T that.

its hypocritical almost.

I feel like the "rules" of hip-hop are real subjective.

and the "rules" change for everyone depending on if they fukk with you or not.

Diversity isn't a bad thing IMO.