Elliot Wilson doesn’t think Donald Glover is Hip Hop culture

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
You know whats crazy; Kanye west is in every mainstream GOAT rapper list and this was his thing.

I listen to almost exclusively street rap; but there should be space for other lanes.

Its bizarre because there are SO many thread negatively talking about the "impact" of street rap.

But people are SO quick to completely shyt on anything that ISN'T that.

its hypocritical almost.

I feel like the "rules" of hip-hop are real subjective.

and the "rules" change for everyone depending on if they fukk with you or not.

Diversity isn't a bad thing IMO.
Kanye made non street rap that was exciting and Black as hell

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Camp was really corny.

But why does Tyler get a pass for his edgy horrorcore bars off his old stuff and his love of white dudes?

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
if the convo is that drake isnt hip hop (and i think its a bad take) then Gambino probably isnt
I think Drake isnt a legitimate artist

I was disappointed when I found out Future had a reference track for one of his songs

And it was made by a white dude at that

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Nope...that's what hip hop was built on...it's you b1tch ass niccas letting everyone into the party citing a need for 'range' that has got the genre and culture all fucced up...there's no quality control
imo the lack of quality control isnt because of the diversity of sound….rap was always susceptible to being hijacked by lesser artists due to the DIY aspect and the only instrument needed is your voice
I think Drake isnt a legitimate artist

I was disappointed when I found out Future had a reference track for one of his songs

And it was made by a white dude at that
what song?

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
imo the lack of quality control isnt because of the diversity of sound….rap was always susceptible to being hijacked by lesser artists due to the DIY aspect and the only instrument needed is your voice

what song?
I forgot but it got posted on here

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I don’t agree but I see where he’s coming from. But CG is stamped in hip hop he dropped numerous rap projects before switching it up. He even dropped a gangsta grillz mixtape and released it on LiveMixtapes so he’s stamped

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
It's sad but at this point there are no good mainstream Black journalists

I blame ppl wanting to be the center of attention and on camera

shyt like Pitchfork is more un biased and in depth

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You know whats crazy; Kanye west is in every mainstream GOAT rapper list and this was his thing.

I listen to almost exclusively street rap; but there should be space for other lanes.

Its bizarre because there are SO many thread negatively talking about the "impact" of street rap.

But people are SO quick to completely shyt on anything that ISN'T that.

its hypocritical almost.

I feel like the "rules" of hip-hop are real subjective.

and the "rules" change for everyone depending on if they fukk with you or not.

Diversity isn't a bad thing IMO.
Difference is Kanye West was dyed in the wool Hip-Hpp.

The comparison to Glover makes no sense.

You're talking about a guy who studied under No I.D.
Religiously made beats.
Rapped from a young age.
Worked with everyone from Backpack rappers to Gangsta Rappers.
He earned his stripes and position within Hip-Hop and never pretended he was the first
rapper to not hold a glock (which is a racist, ignorant characterization of Hip-Hop).

It's not that "Hip-Hop rules are selectively applied", it's that someone like Donald Glover thought
he could completely sidestep Hip-Hop altogether and still think he was "Of the culture".

Bro clearly has pent up anger about whatever bullying he endured as a child and has directly
linked that to Hip-Hop and Black Culture writ large.

He has said as much more than once in his interviews.

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
Camp was really corny.

But why does Tyler get a pass for his edgy horrorcore bars off his old stuff and his love of white dudes?

His sissy shyt aside :francis:I’d argue its because the nikka has a personality. He’s a goofy (in a good way). Him and that dude Vince Staples are funny af

But I personally cant co-sign a breh who kisses on white men

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Difference is Kanye West was dyed in the wool Hip-Hpp.

The comparison to Glover makes no sense.

You're talking about a guy who studied under No I.D.
Religiously made beats.
Rapped from a young age.
Worked with everyone from Backpack rappers to Gangsta Rappers.
He earned his stripes and position within Hip-Hop and never pretended he was the first
rapper to not hold a glock (which is a racist, ignorant characterization of Hip-Hop).

It's not that "Hip-Hop rules are selectively applied", it's that someone like Donald Glover thought
he could completely sidestep Hip-Hop altogether and still think he was "Of the culture".

Bro clearly has pent up anger about whatever bullying he endured as a child and has directly
linked that to Hip-Hop and Black Culture writ large.

He has said as much more than once in his interviews.

sounds personal; I really only know the redbone song :russ:

if u say he's lame; I believe you. :manny:

I was kinda veering left with my points anyway. kinda came in here to shyt on Elliot Willson TBH :mjlol:

Formerly Black Trash

Daps
Reppin
Na
His sissy shyt aside :francis:I’d argue its because the nikka has a personality. Him and that dude Vince Staples are funny af
I think Donald Glover is going out of his niche trying to play sex symbols and cool kids

Bruh should be playing straight up weirdos and outsiders

But ppl act like the non creepy ones don't exist nowadays, because there's no such thing as counter culture

Because of the internet and monetization

Urbanmiracle

Brooklyn the planet...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn son
His work with the tv show Atlanta is enough for his hip hop card. Never mind his earlier works when he was a nerdy Lil Wayne clone. Dude is multi talented and does those things very well. Donald is hip hop. Hip hop more than just one look. The fukk outta here.

Girls look better in real tight sweater. Naw I really liked his early works. dope shyt.

Last edited: