Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
THE OFFICIAL 5 MIC SOURCE HISTORY

22916_o6pyqrvyrw3ne_al.jpg

Albums that originally received five mics:

Albums that were not rated upon their releases, but were later rated five mics in 2002:

Albums that originally received 4.5 mics, and were later re-rated to five:

Albums that originally received four mics, and were later re-rated to five:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
When "Aquenimi" Got 5 MICS it was a celebration, it was like Outkast finally made it. But Big Boi wasn't happy with what their debut got:

outkast-s.jpg

"I need that other half of mic cause that southernplayalisticcalimusic was a Classic" - Big Boi

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
When "Aquenimi" Got 5 MICS it was a celebration, it was like Outkast finally made it. But Big Boi wasn't happy with what their debut got:

outkast-s.jpg

"I need that other half of mic cause that southernplayalisticcalimusic was a Classic" - Big Boi
I see Coolio's album is just as good as IWW and RD :mjpls:

Change

All Star
Daps
Still my copy laying around the house.

It was a good issue. Good list of albums. I remember the producers list was kind of crazy.

That was right about the time the source was getting iffy. XXL was strong at that point, and i think Blaze was already out by then. The Ego Trip lists were always stronger imo. Can't remember where rap pages was at this point.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
man those tribe & de la debuts are overrated as fidduck.

beastie boys' paul's boutique was ass and niccas werent checkin for it.

:scusthov:

Yes, Daps, Reps. "Street Dreams" was NaS's 1st GOLD Single which I always thought was funny that "Street Dreams" did better than "If I ruled the world". But yes though it was a slow crawl, "ILLmatic" went Gold in Jan of 96, 5 months before "It Was Written" dropped. Talking about NaS and Jigga early years puts into context how Big Biggie was. He was going Gold, Platinum off singles and Muti off albums when both of them just couldn't sell.

biggie had puffy.

i think alot of street dreams' success was thanks in part to "if i ruled the world".

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

biggie had puffy.

i think alot of street dreams' success was thanks in part to "if i ruled the world".
Tribe's first album is amazing.
De La's I've never been crazy about - but I should give it another shot.
Never heard a Beastie Boys album.

I see EPMD's classics getting their just due though :obama:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

biggie had puffy.

Yes Tribe 2nd and 3rd albums were better than the Debut but De La debut is their most critically acclaimed album. Also "Paul's Boutique" just off the samples is a Classic album. The Beaties 1st album though Classic too, to me gets more praise than it should. I was very young when it dropped and I've tried to get into it but I feel their 2nd album was slightly better. "Paul's Boutique" feels way more "HIP HOP" than their debut.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Yes Tribe 2nd and 3rd albums were better than the Debut but De La debut is their most critically acclaimed album. Also "Paul's Boutique" just off the samples is a Classic album. The Beaties 1st album though Classic too, to me gets more praise than it should. I was very young when it dropped and I've tried to get into it but I feel their 2nd album was slightly better. "Paul's Boutique" feels way more "HIP HOP" than their debut.

MM is not better than the debut. Even The Source knew that back when The Source knew some thangs.

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
Get ready for all the "where's sih and such album" that didn't come out til 5 years after the fukkin lost was made because people don't fukkin read properly. I remember buying this issue tho LL on the cover holding 5 gold mics