EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
Heard it all now... Spice is dope but better than 36 Chambers? OB4CL?

This is no different what you're accusing the Source of breh... you're a big Spice 1 fan CLEARLY to say somethin' like that. So if you rate it over those albums, does it mean you prefer Spice's music to Wu-Tang, or that you're biased towards the East Coast? I'll wait.

The white supremacy comparison is funny, by the way... cause I swear, Cali nikkas are like white people who scream reverse racism. Y'all be WAITIN' for the first thing concerning an artist that y'all deem unfair to the whole West Coast, and "yo they bein' biased!!! Haters!!!!"

And Mr. Smith is not "clearly better" than anything but LL's absolute worst albums... it's decent, but :whoa:
I'm not from the west. Never been there. Born and raised in Cincinnati Ohio. We can go back and forth about what deserved what. But its a fact that them nikkas was hating hard on anything not new York. Tupac talked about being in Jail hearing the hate on, the radio. I remember THE SOURCE downplay the quik eiht beef cause "neither acould rhyme for shyt anyway "" the whole tension between east west is driven by east coast haters. Hammer got dissed so did nwa. That's what them fukk nikkas were on. You think the hate stopped before it reached the source reviewers? OK nikka believe that

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Wacky,I feel sorry for you. You're fighting a battle you seemingly cant win,NONE OF THESE nikkas really want the truth. They just want to reaffirm their BS beliefs. I'm not perfect (so i might get pulled into future arguments) but part of me feels like fukk arguing wit these sucka nikkas. The truth is east coast bias mags and fans treat the rest of hiphop the same way white supremacy treats all minorities. They wanna dodge the truth and pretend. Deny deny deny at all cost. Amplify what they love and minimize what they dont love,while avoiding reality in the process. Dougie fresh will never be called out for his avg mic skills,he'll forever be applauded. NO one disrespects him for his short comings. Meanwhile Mc hammer (a much greater "world's greatest entertainer") will be disrespected for his lack of "great lyrics",while people ignore his showmanship,dancing and overall, performing abilities.

People praise illmatic's beats and raps. Ignoring the fact that it has mostly boring forgettable melodies and forgettable performances by nas. Nas is basically rhyming just as aimlessly on illmatic as snoop was on Doggystyle. But nikkas act like he was doing some high end level of mc'ing that was unheard of. And hide their bias behind calling illmatic real hiphop. Doggystyle shyts on illmatic and seeing people act like it's the other way around is laughable.
Performances,production song structure,concepts etc
The proof that there was no bias was posted right here on earlier pages. Reviews from all regions posted with similar results. What more proof do you need? We know that some of the best hip hop comes from the west theres no denying that. We all know the Chronic and Doggystyle coulda been ranked higher but there were east coast albumslike Cuban Linx and RTD that deserved higher too.

And for you to say that Doggystyle shyts on Illmatic just means you aren't a Nas fan and that's cool but show some objectivity. nikkas don't get 5 mics and get documentaries and anniversary re-releases for albums with "forgettable melodies and forgettable performances" That nikka painted pictures on that album and every song had a topic. There were no wasted bars and it arguably has the greatest lineup of producers ever. Don't get me wrong Doggystyle is one of my favorite albums ever and I think its underrated but Snoop had songs on there where he was reinventing mcing. shyt the nikka used to say Bow wow wow yippy yo yippy yay in verses

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I'm not from the west. Never been there. Born and raised in Cincinnati Ohio. We can go back and forth about what deserved what. But its a fact that them nikkas was hating hard on anything not new York. Tupac talked about being in Jail hearing the hate on, the radio. I remember THE SOURCE downplay the quik eiht beef cause "neither acould rhyme for shyt anyway "" the whole tension between east west is driven by east coast haters. Hammer got dissed so did nwa. That's what them fukk nikkas were on. You think the hate stopped before it reached the source reviewers? OK nikka believe that

This thread isn't about the radio tho its about The Source. And you talk about Quik and Eiht beef being downplayed but there was east coast beef back then that was never even mentioned. For the record everybody clowned Hammer even Cube so that wasn't a coastal thing. Speaking of Cube NWA wasn't nowhere near the same after the he left. Dre got better on the boards but lyrically they lost a step and tried to make up for it by getting on some cartoonish violence shyt

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
The proof that there was no bias was posted right here on earlier pages. Reviews from all regions posted with similar results. What more proof do you need? We know that some of the best hip hop comes from the west theres no denying that. We all know the Chronic and Doggystyle coulda been ranked higher but there were east coast albumslike Cuban Linx and RTD that deserved higher too.

And for you to say that Doggystyle shyts on Illmatic just means you aren't a Nas fan and that's cool but show some objectivity. nikkas don't get 5 mics and get documentaries and anniversary re-releases for albums with "forgettable melodies and forgettable performances" That nikka painted pictures on that album and every song had a topic. There were no wasted bars and it arguably has the greatest lineup of producers ever. Don't get me wrong Doggystyle is one of my favorite albums ever and I think its underrated but Snoop had songs on there where he was reinventing mcing. shyt the nikka used to say Bow wow wow yippy yo yippy yay in verses
nas reinvented nothing. nikkas wanna diss snoop raps. Yet, praise monkey flip em funky rhythm rhymes? What's the ddifference? Every song he did tthe same, thing which was random rhyming aimlessly.

eerieBell

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da Magnolia
i WASNT IMPRESSED,listened to multiple times,boring beats (more than half),weak ass flows,nikka sound like he just picked up a mic and rapping with food in his mouth.

boring beats :what: criminology, rainy dayz, ice cream, glaciers of ice, incarcerated scarfaces, etc.:beli:

weak flow :snoop: ghostface verse on rainy dayz has GOAT flow, chef on ice cream :obama: GZA on Glaciers of Ice, some of the best verses of all time as well, meth with the GOAT hooks

those are some of the best beats ever, it's more polished than 36 chambers, even than liquid swords and ironman, ob4cl is like the best wu solo album my nikka :ohlawd:

youz a lost soul if u dont see that :ld:

u in my prayers b. :myman:

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
This thread isn't about the radio tho its about The Source. And you talk about Quik and Eiht beef being downplayed but there was east coast beef back then that was never even mentioned. For the record everybody clowned Hammer even Cube so that wasn't a coastal thing. Speaking of Cube NWA wasn't nowhere near the same after the he left. Dre got better on the boards but lyrically they lost a step and tried to make up for it by getting on some cartoonish violence shyt
East coast media was hating PERIOD. they brought up the quik beef just to say them nikkas ain't shyt

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
nas reinvented nothing. nikkas wanna diss snoop raps. Yet, praise monkey flip em funky rhythm rhymes? What's the ddifference? Every song he did tthe same, thing which was random rhyming aimlessly.
No Nas didn't reinvent anything but he did raise the bar. And I wasn't dissing Snoop at all but how can you talk about Nas like he isn't a lyricist and praise Snoops lyrics at the same time?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I don't think it's inescapable, I think objectivity is possible.
I actually believe this coming from you...
Like Cube, he's most probably gonna get a bigger rating at times than another West Coast peers cause he's a superstar. They probably couldn't get away with giving Cube 2 mics at the time even if they wanted too lol (not saying they did).
His weak stuff got lower ratings...the good stuff got 4.5-5.
people are quick to say this chit in defense of groups like epmd & tribe, but then theyll turn around and condemn rappers from other regions for the same exact scenario.
I want to go on record and say that I think both groups are nice on the mic. Not Nas/G Rap nice...but they aren't wack.
EPMD wasn't the best lyrically ill give you that but Tribe definitely was
PMD was a beast. Look at his verse on the last song of Unfinished Business. His verse on Rampage. They both have multiple classic lines. Take off the hot sweater.
If Im not mistaken Warren G got 4 mics and he definitely was no lyricist
I think it was 3.5 - can't find the review though.
GRODT got 4 mics in the source.
About right.
i'll put it to you like this:

LAD was the 1st big east coast pandering album(maybe the 1st one period). the 1st album where the artist went out of their way to put on a variety show. a joint for every coast, party joints, girl records, etc etc.

its definitely one of the most influential albums, but that doesnt neccessarily reflect its quality. to keep it funky, biggie wouldve caught a ton of criticism if he was alive when he dropped this album. instead, it became an overrated album and people followed suit, trying to duplicate its success. alot of rappers ended up under-achieving and/or wasted their careers because of this. its pretty much one of the downfalls of the east coast.

:ehh:
This is all facts.
and it doesnt matter which cube album you think is better. the bottom line is that both albums are clearly classics.
And one got 5 and the other 4.5. A lot of albums that are clearly classics now got 4-4.5.
another one. im gonna tell you like i just told him. if youre gonna tag me, make sure you come correct. i never said that about the source in 2005.
Wasn't that the Benzino era? If not, when did the Zino era end?
and that whole "the credibility of your tournament" chit is wack dog. if you have a problem with what a poster(s) did in the tournament, then you take it up with them. dont diss me and my tournament. that chit is corny. ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THAT YOU WERE THE FIRST ONE TO DO THE STUFF THAT YOURE COMPLAINING ABOUT. youre in no position to call anybody out about tagging people anyway.
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm getting at. I'm saying that your tournament is credible b/c Wu won. It's a joke.
And as far as the rigging - it was a whole different ballgame. Don't make me pull up all relevant posts from the Mobb/Wu thread and the EPMD/Bone thread.
i know plenty of epmd fans man.:comeon: the 3rd album is usually seen as the weakest from their heyday.
Never heard this. I should make a thread about those first 4 albums.
pete rock & diamond d were considered the hottest producers, not hottest rappers. so i dont see how that helps your case.
They are both considered classics today. Especially Pete and CL.
no disrespect to diamond d, pete rock & cl smooth, but since when are those albums held in the same regard as doggystyle?
You right. It's closer with the Pete and CL album though...
it definitely did affect the ratings & rankings.

definitely.
Do you have more examples?
are we supposed to hand the source a cookie?

anything less than a 4 for that album would be ridiculous.
True

yea. i always said this album was overrated too. and i still want my money back.
I would say that BIG could get away with it b/c he was such a massive talent...but it was hugely deterimental to rap in teh long run. I think the album is a classic. 5 mics.
and i also always say that they drilled it in our heads that this album was goat status before it was even released. i remember the way the radio was carrying on leading up to its release. it was so corny.
Who did that? And are you suggesting the radio people didn't like the album? That they were paid to do it? The man just died - they were probably emotional...
ribe had countless lines

"Lyrically Im Mario Andretti on the momo"
"Bust off on your couch now you got Siemens furniture"
"Bust a nut inside ya eye and show you where I cum from"
"Im Michael Jordan on the mic, wanna gamble?"
"Poetry machine with correct mechanisms immune to disease I defeat organisms"
"If knowledge is the key than just show me the lock"

That's just a few. They used to beast on the mic
:blessed:
Tip and Phife (as well as Erick & Parrish) were fukkin' dope. It doesn't matter that they weren't flippin' the world upside down lyrically... you think anyone has ever said "Bonita Applebum" needed to be more metaphorical or complex? They made albums that resonated for years influence-wise... simple as that.
:wow:
It wasn't the first album where a rapper tried to show that they could do it all
What was the first one?
It's good because BIG proved he could, but bad because other nikkas tried unsuccessfully to do the same... but that's not really a strike against the album, it's more so a strike against the rappers who couldn't do it. That mark they hit on LAD (minus the couple joints that coulda been left off) was a hard act to follow. Anybody sayin' today that it wasn't is tryin' to rewrite history.
Exactly :wow:
i already said phife was nice. but i also said that he wasnt a top-tier lyricist.

q-tip was average on the mic. he had his moments with the bars tho.

my point still stands.
I don't think anyone is claiming they were all time greats. What is an example of a comparable west/south group on the mic that got shytted on by the Source for wack lyricism?

we're talking about mics.
Then all those reviews should rule the day...
the bottom line is that an all-time top 4 album got 4 mics.
I can't front on this...any GOAT contender is potentially up there like that :yeshrug:
Wacky,I feel sorry for you. You're fighting a battle you seemingly cant win,NONE OF THESE nikkas really want the truth. They just want to reaffirm their BS beliefs. I'm not perfect (so i might get pulled into future arguments) but part of me feels like fukk arguing wit these sucka nikkas. The truth is east coast bias mags and fans treat the rest of hiphop the same way white supremacy treats all minorities. They wanna dodge the truth and pretend. Deny deny deny at all cost. Amplify what they love and minimize what they dont love,while avoiding reality in the process. Dougie fresh will never be called out for his avg mic skills,he'll forever be applauded. NO one disrespects him for his short comings. Meanwhile Mc hammer (a much greater "world's greatest entertainer") will be disrespected for his lack of "great lyrics",while people ignore his showmanship,dancing and overall, performing abilities.

People praise illmatic's beats and raps. Ignoring the fact that it has mostly boring forgettable melodies and forgettable performances by nas. Nas is basically rhyming just as aimlessly on illmatic as snoop was on Doggystyle. But nikkas act like he was doing some high end level of mc'ing that was unheard of. And hide their bias behind calling illmatic real hiphop. Doggystyle shyts on illmatic and seeing people act like it's the other way around is laughable.
Performances,production song structure,concepts etc
This guy is an anti-Illmatic conspiracy theory troll.
GRODT>DOGGYSTYLE
:mjlol:
Link me to the proof post
Read the reviews. Go back and read the whole thread.

I knew prior to this thread that doggystyle,MATW and the chronic all got less than 5 mics. I believe they got 4 or less..
This is wrong - go back and read the thread.
With the exception of ice cube,no artist outside the east got got 5 mics till 1998. And no west coast album ever originally got 5 mics ever besides Ice cube's 1st album. That just so happened to be produced by the bomb squad.
So even if they re-rated later,there was definite bias during the west coast hay days. This thread doesnt dispel that.
In 90 and 91 the source was giving out 5 mics. What were the west/south albums that deserved 5 (not albums that should have got 5 b/c East albums you don't like got high ratings) those years? Then you got 92-96 where 1 album got 5. What is the one album from 92-96 from the west/south that deserved 5 during this time? 97 on - who cares
Serious question.
If this is for classic albums and this list was made in 98' what was the most recent album on the list?
It seems like now and days albums are labeled classics within the same year they came out so I'm wondering out it was in the 90's.
LAD
made men is 2 eras removed from doggystyle. im referring to some of the albums that were getting 4 1/2 & 5 at the time.
Redman, EPMD, BDP, Enter the Wu
What else? And which ones do you disagree with? Other than EPMD - I think you said that album didn't deserve 4.5.
I got put on to E-40 strictly based off the slob job the source gave his Mailman EP in like 1993 or some shyt. They were jocking him so bad. I also remember them slobbing that dude from Texas Fesu crazily hard. 2 albums i bought just off that strength.

No joke when i played the album i thought i had been trolled. i actually gave it away it was so corny to me at the time. took me a few years to appreciate his style. i fux with it now and re bought that.
:salute:
I'm from the Bay and that EP was a huge album in 93. Absolute bay classic. Not something I thought anybody outside of the bay was aware of. :salute:
We got albums that get no east coast props that are better than OB4CL.
Who's we? ARen't you from Cincinnati?
Albums like breaking atoms,ob4cl,long live the kane,dont even deserve 5 mics.
:scust:
Long Live the Kane though? Its as classic as classic gets. :scust:
t's of your opinion that 36 and OB4CL have no business being in the same discussion as MATW or Doggystyle... there are people who definitely feel diferently. So would that mean you're biased against the East Coast, or do u simply feel MATW and Doggystyle are better albums? See how that works?
It boils down to this. Fans of west music think the west got did dirty. Fans of the east think the east got did dirty. The Source did there job...objectivity means both coasts shouldn't walk away happy.
Where's too short,Ice-t,dj quik,e-40,spice 1,Compton's most wanted,the coup,paris,warren G,thuglife
Too short had no classics? Quik? Ice-t? Spice 1? The shyt is blatant.
Which albums are 5 mics?
Sidenote: why is it that 5 is looked at like the only good rating there is to get? Like not getting the perfect rating means a nikka was robbed and snubbed due to ill-wishing discrimination? :what:
This.
You had to have a bonifide undeniable record to get props from them where as east coast nikkas could put out some meh shyt and BOOM they call it classic.
You are just biased against East Coast music.
But its a fact that them nikkas was hating hard on anything not new York.
Look at the reviews. This is absolutely not true.
I remember THE SOURCE downplay the quik eiht beef cause "neither acould rhyme for shyt anyway "
Link? Or more info? I've never heard that before :ohhh:
Yet, praise monkey flip em funky rhythm rhymes?
Told you this guy was a troll :russ:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

Hammer got dissed by a lot of nikkas, including Ice Cube on the album you (and I) feel was his best, on which he also dissed NWA. Was he biased too? :russ:

And in real life... not rap life with nikkas like wack ass Tim Dog... NWA was actually a group from Cali that got played in NY, especially the nikkaz4Life album. From what I understand, nikkaz4Life was bumped in NY that year just as much as ATCQ, EPMD, and Brand Nubian were. Not for nothin, it was also the Source's album of the year. :whistle:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
East coast media was hating PERIOD. they brought up the quik beef just to say them nikkas ain't shyt

If you remember that, then you also remember who wrote it- Star and Buc Wild's monthly column where they dissed and clowned A LOT of muhfukkas, cause that's what Star does. But I guess it's OK if he disses Heather B's video for being a piece of shyt or Parrish Smith for makin' a solo album (just two of MANY examples)... but Quik and Eiht off-limits, eh?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Hammer got dissed by a lot of nikkas, including Ice Cube on the album you (and I) feel was his best, on which he also dissed NWA. Was he biased too? :russ:

And in real life... not rap life with nikkas like wack ass Tim Dog... NWA was actually a group from Cali that got played in NY, especially the nikkaz4Life album. From what I understand, nikkaz4Life was bumped in NY that year just as much as ATCQ, EPMD, and Brand Nubian were. Not for nothin, it was also the Source's album of the year. :whistle:

Last edited:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child

When the Chronic dropped nothing got played more over here