EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
:mjpls: at @Wacky D and @bigbadbossup2012 for all that...

the same way y'all sayin' nikkas are in denial and holdin' on to their belief at any cost... what do y'all call it when nikkas post clear examples that most QUALITY records from the West and South got good ratings, and even some that IMO are weak but others feel differently... and y'all still say "naw son, bias son, its a consipracy son, well nah it wasn't biased like i thought but... naw fukk that it was bias son"... cause that's what's happenin' here... and it's funny to me, cause Wacky'll talk this bias shyt but yet find a way to defend Benzino's decision to have his own group get an undeserved high rating. That's bias if there ever was one, but to you, that's when the Source got realer. When Benzino had his own group get a higher rating than your beloved Doggystyle did.:russ:

I'm not even capin' for the Source honestly, I'm more so capin' against how everybody not from the East is always on crybaby mode about being wronged, when most East Coast publications and radio has always fukked with quality music from other states. Now if you wanna talk mixtape DJs nshyt, sure. Pro-NY like crazy. New York regular dudes who swear by all things NY? Sure. But basing this magazine having an "agenda" because of one specific underrating of a classic (which BTW is one of many, because there's no real way to predict what people will still love in 20 years) is comedy.
Link me to the proof post

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Link me to the proof post

You didn't see the different reviews @mobbinfms put up? Reviews of many albums, NY shyt, Cali shyt, couple Southern albums... one recurring theme is that a lot of these albums got fair ratings. Not saying you'll agree with all of 'em to a T, not saying I agree with all of 'em either... but fair ratings. It's not like they were pumpin' some shyt nobody even knows about from NY but trashing and downplaying some iconic shyt from elsewhere... the NY albums that got high ratings are albums nobody ever really disputes, the Cali albums that got high ratings likewise. shyt, some of the NY albums got ratings lower than some of us would give them now.

DeuceCypherUno

knowledge God
Daps
Reppin
Straight out the fukkin' dungeons of rap
People praise illmatic's beats and raps. Ignoring the fact that it has mostly boring forgettable melodies and forgettable performances by nas. Nas is basically rhyming just as aimlessly on illmatic as snoop was on Doggystyle. But nikkas act like he was doing some high end level of mc'ing that was unheard of. And hide their bias behind calling illmatic real hiphop. Doggystyle shyts on illmatic and seeing people act like it's the other way around is laughable.
Performances,production song structure,concepts etc
how the hell does this make sense?
:russ:

"people thought it was good but ignored the "fact" that it wasn't good"

so which is it?

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

so which is it?

Yeah, those forgettable performances like One Love, Halftime, It Ain't Hard To Tell, NY State of Mind and all that... nobody ever talks about those rhymes...

Seen it all now.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
You didn't see the different reviews @mobbinfms put up? Reviews of many albums, NY shyt, Cali shyt, couple Southern albums... one recurring theme is that a lot of these albums got fair ratings. Not saying you'll agree with all of 'em to a T, not saying I agree with all of 'em either... but fair ratings. It's not like they were pumpin' some shyt nobody even knows about from NY but trashing and downplaying some iconic shyt from elsewhere... the NY albums that got high ratings are albums nobody ever really disputes, the Cali albums that got high ratings likewise. shyt, some of the NY albums got ratings lower than some of us would give them now.
No,very few,havent been all through the thread like that. I saw the hate on thuglife. I knew prior to this thread that doggystyle,MATW and the chronic all got less than 5 mics. I believe they got 4 or less..
With the exception of ice cube,no artist outside the east got got 5 mics till 1998. And no west coast album ever originally got 5 mics ever besides Ice cube's 1st album. That just so happened to be produced by the bomb squad.
So even if they re-rated later,there was definite bias during the west coast hay days. This thread doesnt dispel that.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps

so which is it?
People praise it's "new way of sampling" but they ignore the facts that the beats are snoozers.

Daps
Reppin
SouthsideQueens
No,very few,havent been all through the thread like that. I saw the hate on thuglife. I knew prior to this thread that doggystyle,MATW and the chronic all got less than 5 mics. I believe they got 4 or less..
With the exception of ice cube,no artist outside the east got got 5 mics till 1998. And no west coast album ever originally got 5 mics ever besides Ice cube's 1st album. That just so happened to be produced by the bomb squad.
So even if they re-rated later,there was definite bias during the west coast hay days. This thread doesnt dispel that.

because the only nikka in the west that deserved 5 mics was cube

west need to step they game up

Mandarin Duck

Majestic and Highfalutin
Daps
Reppin
Ponds
Serious question.
If this is for classic albums and this list was made in 98' what was the most recent album on the list?
It seems like now and days albums are labeled classics within the same year they came out so I'm wondering out it was in the 90's.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
most East Coast publications and radio has always fukked with quality music from other states.

OH HELL NO.

this dude tryna act like east coast radio wasnt biased as fidduk?

:wtf:

:mjpls: at @Wacky D and @bigbadbossup2012 for all that...

the same way y'all sayin' nikkas are in denial and holdin' on to their belief at any cost... what do y'all call it when nikkas post clear examples that most QUALITY records from the West and South got good ratings, and even some that IMO are weak but others feel differently... and y'all still say "naw son, bias son, its a consipracy son, well nah it wasn't biased like i thought but... naw fukk that it was bias son"... cause that's what's happenin' here... and it's funny to me, cause Wacky'll talk this bias shyt but yet find a way to defend Benzino's decision to have his own group get an undeserved high rating. That's bias if there ever was one, but to you, that's when the Source got realer. When Benzino had his own group get a higher rating than your beloved Doggystyle did.:russ:

I'm not even capin' for the Source honestly, I'm more so capin' against how everybody not from the East is always on crybaby mode about being wronged, when most East Coast publications and radio has always fukked with quality music from other states. Now if you wanna talk mixtape DJs nshyt, sure. Pro-NY like crazy. New York regular dudes who swear by all things NY? Sure. But basing this magazine having an "agenda" because of one specific underrating of a classic (which BTW is one of many, because there's no real way to predict what people will still love in 20 years) is comedy.

made men is 2 eras removed from doggystyle. im referring to some of the albums that were getting 4 1/2 & 5 at the time.

i already addressed the rest of this stuff multiple times. im too dizzy from going around in these circles.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

None of the truly great albums from Cali got under a 4. Alot of aiiite shyts got under 4, hell, some of the aiiite shyts got 4.

And here's why the bias thing doesn't stand like that: in the era we're talkin' about, you're right, these great West Coast albums didn't get 5 mics. Guess what else didn't get 5 mics during that time period? 36 Chambers, OB4CL, Ready to Die, the Infamous. There are artists from NY who are heralded as legends in hip-hop who don't have A single 5 (originally or re-rated) to speak of. So are they also biased against NY?

And once again, the Ice Cube AMW "that just so happened to be produced by the Bomb Squad"... here's the thing. The combination of Cali's best MC and NY's best producers in 1990 is what made that album such a monument. It was definitely seen as a big deal BECAUSE of that... it was the first time a combination like that happened. It seems like regular shyt now cause everybody's crossed over every border and done everything... in 1990, that was a ground-crushing thing, and the album was dope as fukk. It was Cube bringing that energy he brought to the group NWA and showing that he could do it alone for a whole album. It was the Bomb Squad, who had been on fire for the previous two years, outdoing themselves production-wise, even outdoing what they had done on their own group's project that came out earlier that year. There's a lot that goes into that. And that's not to say DC isn't equally as great... but this is also after Ice Cube had already wowed everybody, consistently. Real time vs. retrospect.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I got put on to E-40 strictly based off the slob job the source gave his Mailman EP in like 1993 or some shyt. They were jocking him so bad. I also remember them slobbing that dude from Texas Fesu crazily hard. 2 albums i bought just off that strength.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I got put on to E-40 strictly based off the slob job the source gave his Mailman EP in like 1993 or some shyt. They were jocking him so bad. I also remember them slobbing that dude from Texas Fesu crazily hard. 2 albums i bought just off that strength.

Fesu tho'! Right!

I did not have a clue who 40 was til I read about him in the Source, with them givin' him props for "Captain Save A Ho" and the Mailman EP... and again for In A Major Way and his singles from that... matter fact, when I actually heard him, I was like "THIS is the nikka they say was so ill?" :why: