EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Fesu tho'! Right!

I did not have a clue who 40 was til I read about him in the Source, with them givin' him props for "Captain Save A Ho" and the Mailman EP... and again for In A Major Way and his singles from that... matter fact, when I actually heard him, I was like "THIS is the nikka they say was so ill?" :why:

No joke when i played the album i thought i had been trolled. i actually gave it away it was so corny to me at the time. took me a few years to appreciate his style. i fux with it now and re bought that.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
None of the truly great albums from Cali got under a 4. Alot of aiiite shyts got under 4, hell, some of the aiiite shyts got 4.

And here's why the bias thing doesn't stand like that: in the era we're talkin' about, you're right, these great West Coast albums didn't get 5 mics. Guess what else didn't get 5 mics during that time period? 36 Chambers, OB4CL, Ready to Die, the Infamous. There are artists from NY who are heralded as legends in hip-hop who don't have A single 5 (originally or re-rated) to speak of. So are they also biased against NY?

And once again, the Ice Cube AMW "that just so happened to be produced by the Bomb Squad"... here's the thing. The combination of Cali's best MC and NY's best producers in 1990 is what made that album such a monument. It was definitely seen as a big deal BECAUSE of that... it was the first time a combination like that happened. It seems like regular shyt now cause everybody's crossed over every border and done everything... in 1990, that was a ground-crushing thing, and the album was dope as fukk. It was Cube bringing that energy he brought to the group NWA and showing that he could do it alone for a whole album. It was the Bomb Squad, who had been on fire for the previous two years, outdoing themselves production-wise, even outdoing what they had done on their own group's project that came out earlier that year. There's a lot that goes into that. And that's not to say DC isn't equally as great... but this is also after Ice Cube had already wowed everybody, consistently. Real time vs. retrospect.
AMW is dope,death certificate is better. None of this shyt you said negates what i said,36 chambers,OB4CL shouldnt even mentioned along side MATW,the chronic or doggystyle (although i think 36 chambers is dope). We got albums that get no east coast props that are better than OB4CL. Bringing up RTD is funny because the rater has blatantly said she only didnt do it cause illmatic just got it. Which means (back then) they wanted to give THAT 5 MICS TOO (which it deserved). The ONLY west coast ALBUM THAT EVER GOT 5 MICS (originally) is a album produced by east coast pioneers,what other proof do i need that there was bias? They aint gotta give props to EVERY NY album for me to be right. Bottom line is if you had props in NY you could be the shyt in their mags. If you were popping all over the world but not in NY,your props would be tainted by hate. This is specifically during the time frame before deathrow fell and east came back into full power. Albums like breaking atoms,ob4cl,long live the kane,dont even deserve 5 mics. Them albums cant hold a candle to straight outta compton,no one can do it better. But since they mean so much OVER THERE,it's inflated.
If dogg food was east coast i believe it would (wrongfully) have 5 mics,same with eazy duz it.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I got put on to E-40 strictly based off the slob job the source gave his Mailman EP in like 1993 or some shyt. They were jocking him so bad. I also remember them slobbing that dude from Texas Fesu crazily hard. 2 albums i bought just off that strength.

Don't forget the love for B-Legit, D-Shot...

Hell, The Source had like 4 pages reserved for just No Limit before they got individual spreads.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
AMW is dope,death certificate is better. None of this shyt you said negates what i said,36 chambers,OB4CL shouldnt even mentioned along side MATW,the chronic or doggystyle (although i think 36 chambers is dope). We got albums that get no east coast props that are better than OB4CL. Bringing up RTD is funny because the rater has blatantly said she only didnt do it cause illmatic just got it. Which means (back then) they wanted to give THAT 5 MICS TOO (which it deserved). The ONLY west coast ALBUM THAT EVER GOT 5 MICS (originally) is a album produced by east coast pioneers,what other proof do i need that there was bias? They aint gotta give props to EVERY NY album for me to be right. Bottom line is if you had props in NY you could be the shyt in their mags. If you were popping all over the world but not in NY,your props would be tainted by hate. This is specifically during the time frame before deathrow fell and east came back into full power. Albums like breaking atoms,ob4cl,long live the kane,dont even deserve 5 mics. Them albums cant hold a candle to straight outta compton,no one can do it better. But since they mean so much OVER THERE,it's inflated.
If dogg food was east coast i believe it would (wrongfully) have 5 mics,same with eazy duz it.

All this equates to is exactly what I called it... crybaby "NY bias" shyt...

It's of your opinion that 36 and OB4CL have no business being in the same discussion as MATW or Doggystyle... there are people who definitely feel diferently. So would that mean you're biased against the East Coast, or do u simply feel MATW and Doggystyle are better albums? See how that works?

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
All this equates to is exactly what I called it... crybaby "NY bias" shyt...

It's of your opinion that 36 and OB4CL have no business being in the same discussion as MATW or Doggystyle... there are people who definitely feel diferently. So would that mean you're biased against the East Coast, or do u simply feel MATW and Doggystyle are better albums? See how that works?
No i'm not bias. I didnt mention the infamous for a reason. To be from the west and get props you basically had to be one of the top tier artists with one of the top tier albums,basically icons. You didnt have to be on top from east to get the same respect.
They only gave props they were damn near forced to give. Out of everyone whom got 5 mics initially and even later,how many were west coast,how many were east coast?
Let's see:
Eric b and rakim
Kane
Mobb deep
Beastie boys
Brand Nubian
De la soul
Tribe called quest
Nas
Biggie
Jay-z
Lil kim
LLcoolJ
Run Dmc
Jungle Brothers
EPMD
mAIN sOURCE
Raekwon
Wu-tang the group
Ultramagnetic Mc's
Fu-Gees
Slick Rick
That's 21 acts

From the west we got:
2pac
snoop
dre
cube
nwa
d.o.c. (repped with them west nikkas,though i could reduce to 5)
6 undeniable acts
Where's too short,Ice-t,dj quik,e-40,spice 1,Compton's most wanted,the coup,paris,warren G,thuglife
Too short had no classics? Quik? Ice-t? Spice 1? The shyt is blatant.

"east coast purists treat everyone else like white supremacy treats all minorities"
2pac,snoop,dre,cube,nwa are basically to the east what whitney houston,prince,michael jackson and eddie murphy were to white america in the early-mid 80's.
Rest of you ******s get outta here.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
AMW is dope,death certificate is better. None of this shyt you said negates what i said,36 chambers,OB4CL shouldnt even mentioned along side MATW,the chronic or doggystyle (although i think 36 chambers is dope). We got albums that get no east coast props that are better than OB4CL.
:mjlol:

Only Built 4 Cuban Linx is a consensus G.O.A.T. contender and the greatest Wu solo a great album from beats, concepts, skits and rhymes get the fukk outta here.

Last edited:

eerieBell

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da Magnolia

smh @ ob4cl not deserving 5 mics, are u even aware what you talking bout :mjlol:

foh :snoop:

ob4cl is GOAT contender easily :obama:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
No i'm not bias. I didnt mention the infamous for a reason. To be from the west and get props you basically had to be one of the top tier artists with one of the top tier albums,basically icons. You didnt have to be on top from east to get the same respect.
They only gave props they were damn near forced to give. Out of everyone whom got 5 mics initially and even later,how many were west coast,how many were east coast?
Let's see:
Eric b and rakim
Kane
Mobb deep
Beastie boys
Brand Nubian
De la soul
Tribe called quest
Nas
Biggie
Jay-z
Lil kim
LLcoolJ
Run Dmc
Jungle Brothers
EPMD
mAIN sOURCE
Raekwon
Wu-tang the group
Ultramagnetic Mc's
Fu-Gees
Slick Rick
That's 21 acts

From the west we got:
2pac
snoop
dre
cube
nwa
d.o.c. (repped with them west nikkas,though i could reduce to 5)
6 undeniable acts
Where's too short,Ice-t,dj quik,e-40,spice 1,Compton's most wanted,the coup,paris,warren G,thuglife
Too short had no classics? Quik? Ice-t? Spice 1? The shyt is blatant.

"east coast purists treat everyone else like white supremacy treats all minorities"
2pac,snoop,dre,cube,nwa are basically to the east what whitney houston,prince,michael jackson and eddie murphy were to white america in the early-mid 80's.
Rest of you ******s get outta here.

You think e-40, the coup, Spice 1, paris, Warren G, and thug life have even CLOSE to 5 mic albums? Are they just supposed to get them shyts so it's fair to the west coast, or are they supposed to get em for the albums being THAT good to warrant it? That's the equivalent of what ure sayin' the Source did with east coast shyt... it's the same thing. You feel like these albums were supposed to get that cause they're from the West and they were decent albums.

far as the East Coast acts, you also gotta consider that the 80s albums is a different situation... most rap acts period in that era were from the East Coast... which means the percentage would naturally be higher during that time- so there, you have Run-DMC, LL, PE, Kane, Rakim, KRS, etc. I flat don't agree with the Ultra, Jungle Bros., or Lil' Kim 5s. But it's not like MOST of the East Coast artists who got that shyt weren't frontline artists who made albums that affected the landscape... just like Pac, NWA, Cube, Snoop, Dre were. I also feel Short has one worthy of a 5 for sure. nikkas supposed to rate everybody's shyt high out of fairness? :mjlol: That's some "all the kids get a medal just for participating" shyt.

Sidenote: why is it that 5 is looked at like the only good rating there is to get? Like not getting the perfect rating means a nikka was robbed and snubbed due to ill-wishing discrimination? :what:

Last edited:

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
smh @ ob4cl not deserving 5 mics, are u even aware what you talking bout :mjlol:

foh :snoop:

ob4cl is GOAT contender easily :obama:
i WASNT IMPRESSED,listened to multiple times,boring beats (more than half),weak ass flows,nikka sound like he just picked up a mic and rapping with food in his mouth.

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
You think e-40, the coup, Spice 1, paris, Warren G, and thug life have even CLOSE to 5 mic albums? Are they just supposed to get them shyts so it's fair to the west coast, or are they supposed to get em for the albums being THAT good to warrant it? That's the equivalent of what ure sayin' the Source did with east coast shyt... it's the same thing. You feel like these albums were supposed to get that cause I'm guessin' they popped out West.

far as the East Coast acts, you also gotta consider that the 80s albums is a different situation... most rap acts period in that era were from the East Coast... which means the percentage would naturally be higher during that time- so there, you have Run-DMC, LL, PE, Kane, Rakim, KRS, etc. I flat don't agree with the Ultra, Jungle Bros., or Lil' Kim 5s. But it's not like MOST of the East Coast artists who got that shyt weren't frontline artists who made albums that affected the landscape... just like Pac, NWA, Cube, Snoop, Dre were. I also feel Short has one worthy of a 5 for sure. nikkas supposed to rate everybody's shyt high out of fairness? :mjlol: That's some "all the kids get a medal just for participating" shyt.
G-funk era is a classic album in impact and possesses classic songs. Would I give it 5 mics,naw,nor would i give thuglife 5 mics. However when i see lesser albums getting 5 mics then i see the bias. And Spice 1's first 3 albums are all better than OB4CL,36 chambers,long live the kane,let the rhythm hit em etc.
I dont think everyone i named made 5 mic level albums but I see a shyt load of albums from the east that got 5 and are even less worthy.
The only thing classic about the score is the impact. People talk about 2-3 songs from that album. Aint nobody bumping that shyt in its entirety nor were they back then. LL's first album aint 5 mics either. I know the impact. But that shyt aint all that. Mama said knock you out,bigger and deffer and mr smith are clearly better.
Bottom line is plenty of west coast acts were blatantly shunned and i've proven it.
You had to have a bonifide undeniable record to get props from them where as east coast nikkas could put out some meh shyt and BOOM they call it classic.
You cant see how big a success these west coast albums had to be to get props. Let a nikka make a great artistic album from the west that isnt really really big,NO PROPS.
iCE CUBeE left the game changingnwa and got with the bomb squad for the props he got
We know what the chronic and doggystyle did
We know MATW was the #1 album in the country for 4 weeks while pac was in jail.
Look what nikkas had to do for equal props
Those and d.o.c. are the only ones? #HATERS

bigbadbossup2012

Biggest baddest boss
Daps
I suggest ya'll listen to dj quik juan ep shyt,to see how little they knew about him to get an example of what i'm talking bout.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
G-funk era is a classic album in impact and possesses classic songs. Would I give it 5 mics,naw,nor would i give thuglife 5 mics. However when i see lesser albums getting 5 mics then i see the bias. And Spice 1's first 3 albums are all better than OB4CL,36 chambers,long live the kane,let the rhythm hit em etc.
I dont think everyone i named made 5 mic level albums but I see a shyt load of albums from the east that got 5 and are even less worthy.
The only thing classic about the score is the impact. People talk about 2-3 songs from that album. Aint nobody bumping that shyt in its entirety nor were they back then. LL's first album aint 5 mics either. I know the impact. But that shyt aint all that. Mama said knock you out,bigger and deffer and mr smith are clearly better.
Bottom line is plenty of west coast acts were blatantly shunned and i've proven it.
You had to have a bonifide undeniable record to get props from them where as east coast nikkas could put out some meh shyt and BOOM they call it classic.
You cant see how big a success these west coast albums had to be to get props. Let a nikka make a great artistic album from the west that isnt really really big,NO PROPS.
iCE CUBeE left the game changingnwa and got with the bomb squad for the props he got
We know what the chronic and doggystyle did
We know MATW was the #1 album in the country for 4 weeks while pac was in jail.
Look what nikkas had to do for equal props
Those and d.o.c. are the only ones? #HATERS

Heard it all now... Spice is dope but better than 36 Chambers? OB4CL?

This is no different what you're accusing the Source of breh... you're a big Spice 1 fan CLEARLY to say somethin' like that. So if you rate it over those albums, does it mean you prefer Spice's music to Wu-Tang, or that you're biased towards the East Coast? I'll wait.

The white supremacy comparison is funny, by the way... cause I swear, Cali nikkas are like white people who scream reverse racism. Y'all be WAITIN' for the first thing concerning an artist that y'all deem unfair to the whole West Coast, and "yo they bein' biased!!! Haters!!!!"

And Mr. Smith is not "clearly better" than anything but LL's absolute worst albums... it's decent, but :whoa:

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state

i dont agree with these being 5 mics, more like 4s or less.