EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
The best ever? P is great but the best ever?
Yep. I recognize its a minority opinion...but 94-99 P is the best to ever do it. Of course, he slowly fell off up to Infamy (where he then completely fell off) and he hasn't been the same since. But in his hey-day - I'd take him over anyone.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Yep. I recognize its a minority opinion...but 94-99 P is the best to ever do it. Of course, he slowly fell off up to Infamy (where he then completely fell off) and he hasn't been the same since. But in his hey-day - I'd take him over anyone.
You have a point. Infamous, Hell On Earth, and Murda Muzik was one of the best runs ever. His drop off was epic tho

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
this is what i dont like.

people are quick to say this chit in defense of groups like epmd & tribe, but then theyll turn around and condemn rappers from other regions for the same exact scenario.

lets be reality, if these groups werent from the east coast(new york in particular), they wouldve caught flack for alot of chit. instead theyre given "bu bu but" passes.

I dont know what the hell u are talking about.

In 1991 , a year that had many east coast classics, NWA and Cube had top 5 best albums that year....

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
tribe wasnt either. they had a basic game. andre miller.

phife was nice but he wasnt a top level lyricist. q-tip was average with the bars.

why wouldnt big catch any criticism? he caught a bunch of flack for RTD.

and this album was alot more commercial. it was the first of bad boy's shiny suit run. he wouldve been criticized just like the rest of em. he was only exempt because he died.

yea. i always said this album was overrated too. and i still want my money back.

and i also always say that they drilled it in our heads that this album was goat status before it was even released. i remember the way the radio was carrying on leading up to its release. it was so corny.

:comeon:

Wacky, you a wild nikka, boy...

Tip and Phife (as well as Erick & Parrish) were fukkin' dope. It doesn't matter that they weren't flippin' the world upside down lyrically... you think anyone has ever said "Bonita Applebum" needed to be more metaphorical or complex? They made albums that resonated for years influence-wise... simple as that.

Far as the LAD part... hey, to each his own. But to me, it speaks more to BIG's greatness that half the rap game spent the next 5-6 years tryin' to recreate that album and pretty much all them nikkas failed to pull it off. It wasn't the first album where a rapper tried to show that they could do it all, but it's def. a shining example of that. It's good because BIG proved he could, but bad because other nikkas tried unsuccessfully to do the same... but that's not really a strike against the album, it's more so a strike against the rappers who couldn't do it. That mark they hit on LAD (minus the couple joints that coulda been left off) was a hard act to follow. Anybody sayin' today that it wasn't is tryin' to rewrite history.