EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
That's what I'm saying though, doesn't that itself indicate a bias? They wouldn't have said that in reverse. True, I don't have it as a 5 either, but at least a 4. If you listen to (speaking generally cause I know you have) the content of the album he says a lot of West Coast shyt and even speaks about the bias. I think there was a distaste for Ras there due to that. Would be interesting to see the actual review, hopefully they at least gave it big props lyrically. Mm, I'm just not sure they would have rated an East Coast artist with that level of lyrical acumen 3.
It was definitely slick talk...but it doesn't necessarily indicate bias. They're just saying "this album is straight up NY shyt...their isn't any west coast sound to this shyt at all". But they could have said that directly without being disrespectful...

I'm trying to think of an east coast counterpart to Ras...a crazy talented lyricist who dropped the ball on his debut a bit (the beats...that's how it was perceived at the time...).
Canibus? But I don't think they rated his first album...
I looked for Chino XL's rating - but couldn't find it. :yeshrug:

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was definitely slick talk...but it doesn't necessarily indicate bias. They're just saying "this album is straight up NY shyt...their isn't any west coast sound to this shyt at all". But they could have said that directly without being disrespectful...

I'm trying to think of an east coast counterpart to Ras...a crazy talented lyricist who dropped the ball on his debut a bit (the beats...that's how it was perceived at the time...).
Canibus? But I don't think they rated his first album...
I looked for Chino XL's rating - but couldn't find it. :yeshrug:

Mm, not sure. I think it probably does indicate bias, cause it seems to imply in their mind N.Y sound new York shyt instead of West Coast shyt is superior in their minds. Chino XL was dope, would be interesting to know his rating.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Mm, not sure. I think it probably does indicate bias, cause it seems to imply in their mind N.Y sound new York shyt instead of West Coast shyt is superior in their minds. Chino XL was dope, would be interesting to know his rating.
Not necessarily. Obviously, a little hometown bias is probably inescapable for the writers from NY...but if it didn't affect the ratings and coverage...who cares?

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not necessarily. Obviously, a little hometown bias is probably inescapable for the writers from NY...but if it didn't affect the ratings and coverage...who cares?

I don't think it's inescapable, I think objectivity is possible. When I've reviewed things I don't care where it's from, irrelevant to me, what matters is the quality, that's all. I think it did effect it, subconsciously certainly and probably more than that too. One can pull out examples of West Coast artists getting good ratings but it's just too many intangibles involved for it to be concrete, connections, sound, style, content, street credibility, popularity, the particular reviewers etc... Like Cube, he's most probably gonna get a bigger rating at times than another West Coast peers cause he's a superstar. They probably couldn't get away with giving Cube 2 mics at the time even if they wanted too lol (not saying they did).

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
@mobbinfms LAD Is eastcoast......

if u didnt know who biggie was or where he was from

and u listened to that album u would know it was eastcoast shyt just by listening to the 1st song

westcoast nggaz stay reaching
LAD was the prototype for an album having songs for different regions/groups of people.
Infamous is an east coast album.
Illmatic
Return of the Boom Bap

There are definitely east coast sounding songs on LAD, but it went to a lot of different places as well.
RTD has much more of a traditional east coast sound.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
4 1/2 easy....Tho they weren't the best lyrically....That album is one of the best produced hip hop albums ever.

this is what i dont like.

people are quick to say this chit in defense of groups like epmd & tribe, but then theyll turn around and condemn rappers from other regions for the same exact scenario.

lets be reality, if these groups werent from the east coast(new york in particular), they wouldve caught flack for alot of chit. instead theyre given "bu bu but" passes.

Eazy-E.jpeg
Eazy-E.jpeg

:dwill:

this review is blatantly biased & unapologetically uninformed as F*CK!!! and its like that from top-to-bottom.

and lol @ dude thinking eazy copied dre's g-funk.:laugh: in reality, dre copied eazy's producers.

and this guy starts it off with "i dont know where eric gets these stories from but its not what you know, its what you can prove". LOL. i bet this dude is whitebread. i know he felt stupid as hell when all those death stories came out not long afterwards.

thanks for reminding me why i dont take magazines' opinions seriously.

Theres that "West Coast bias" :heh:

FRONT
AND
CENTER.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
this is what i dont like.

people are quick to say this chit in defense of groups like epmd & tribe, but then theyll turn around and condemn rappers from other regions for the same exact scenario.

lets be reality, if these groups werent from the east coast(new york in particular), they wouldve caught flack for alot of chit. instead theyre given "bu bu but" passes.

:dwill:

this review is blatantly biased & unapologetically uninformed as F*CK!!! and its like that from top-to-bottom.

and lol @ dude thinking eazy copied dre's g-funk.:laugh: in reality, dre copied eazy's producers.

and this guy starts it off with "i dont know where eric gets these stories from but its not what you know, its what you can prove". LOL. i bet this dude is whitebread. i know he felt stupid as hell when all those death stories came out not long afterwards.

thanks for reminding me why i dont take magazines' opinions seriously.

FRONT
AND
CENTER.

EPMD wasn't the best lyrically ill give you that but Tribe definitely was