EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

Daps
Reppin
SouthsideQueens
How was it straight East Coast when it had a joint called Going Back to Cali. Or Notorious Thugs when he was rhyming like a group from the Midwest. Too Short was even on a track. It was actually a pretty diverse album musically. RTD had way more of that traditional East Coast production.

just because u have a rapper from another coast on ya album dont mean ya album isnt hometown region based

pac had east nikkas on aeom, still was a westcoast album

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
just because u have a rapper from another coast on ya album dont mean ya album isnt hometown region based

pac had east nikkas on aeom, still was a westcoast album

Of course having Too Short alone on the album doesn't mean anything but at the time how many East Coast rappers were featuring rappers from other regions on their albums.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I honestly think they put out a double lp just cuz Pac did. That album woulda been an all time classic if it was just one album
this is how i feel. pretty much every hip hop double album would've been .5-1 pt better just being one disc (speakerboxx/love below being an exception due to the dre side-big boi side)...you can't tell me AEOM had filler (it did) and not admit LAD had filler

Last edited:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eazy-E.jpeg
Eazy-E.jpeg

The Source had a beef with Eazy at this time. That's not to say that a East Coast bias didn't exist cause it did.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
redman treach jayz nore capone

Redman didn't feature any West Coast artists on his albums until the 21st century tho he was featured on a CMW album

Jay had Too SHort on his 2nd album but LAD was already out

Naughty By Nature never had a West Coast rapper on any of their albums

CNN didn't drop their debut till after LAD dropped and didn't have any West Coast artists on it. In fact they dissed the west with LA LA

So..........

Daps
Reppin
SouthsideQueens
Redman didn't feature any West Coast artists on his albums until the 21st century tho he was featured on a CMW album

CNN didn't drop their debut till after LAD dropped and didn't have any West Coast artists on it. In fact they dissed the west with LA LA

So..........

im not talkn bout just the west

im talkn the south n midwest

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:ohhh:
Tell us more.
@DANJ!

At the time Eazy had done a couple of things that pissed black people and the Source off off. One, he went to a republican fundraiser (he was probably trolling for attention but it didn't go over at all). He may have taken a picture with Reagan as well.

Eazy was also being represented by the same lawyer that represented one of the police officers who beat up Rodney King. That didn't go over well with the Source either. In one interview, he even tried to defend one of the officers in a round about way.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
At the time Eazy had done a couple of things that pissed black people and the Source off off. One, he went to a republican fundraiser (he was probably trolling for attention but it didn't go over at all). He may have taken a picture with Reagan as well.

Eazy was also being represented by the same lawyer that represented one of the police officers who beat up Rodney King. That didn't go over well with the Source either. In one interview, he even tried to defend one of the officers in a round about way.

True... but they didn't have a beef with Eazy tho... matter fact, Eazy was on the cover a few months later. He was under criticism at the time for some of them antics- he earned that 2.5 all on his own tho'. Eazy post-NWA was droppin' all kinda mediocrity... 'Real Muthafukkin Gz' was dope, but that album was ehhhhh.

@Wacky D ... you can say them reviews mean nothing... but you see it for yourself. It's right there in front of you. You talkin' about one rating for one album cause there's really not any others that are so off-point that you can use them for your bias argument. So Snoop was supposed to have immunity?

Far as the Ice Cube shyt- you love them conspiracy theories eh? :russ: In your opinion, DC is better than AMW. There's also people who feel the other way. I'm in the DC > AMW camp, but I do recall the impact of AMW. It was THE album of '90. The thing that gave AMW that edge is that it was Cube, arguably NWA's frontman... and the production team that in that era was arguably the best. That combination was a knockout at the time. And that's not to say DC wasn't just as great- but that AMW was blowing shyt away that year- and '90 wasn't a weak year by any means.

Last edited:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Yes, infact I think so even more. Like in that KRS-One where it said about the jeri curls and N.Y sound, wasn't that something that was a West Coast thing?. So that to me sounded like a diss/shot at the West Coast while hyping their own shyt up. I think taking some reviews out, especially high profile 1's is somewhat out of context. I guess the same argument can be made in reverse but I think if you look at it overall there is enough evidence to suggest there was a bias, to some degree. When I say bias I don't mean a complete bias, anything West fukk it, not like that, I mean more a predisposition to their own music and own sound when defining quality rather than a more objective overall assessment. I certainly believe Soul On Ice would have got a higher rating if Ras was a well connected East Coast MC. I remember on that album there's a song where he kind of says, he was a rap fan who never was at Bam's parties lol. But he still got skills lol. I'm not sure if they wanted 1 of the best lyricists to be coming out of the West. I think that album deserves much more than 3 mics. It would be a lot easier if there was a list where someone could compile all the 3 mics, and all the ratings. Then it's so much easier to discuss with a bigger picture. Doesn't The Naked Truth have 5 mics but Soul On Ice 3? I've seen other non N.Y albums kind of get unfair treatment too. I thought everyone knew the bias existed and it was undeniable, I didn't realize some thought it was a contentious point. But if there was no bias why did Westside Connection even make All The Critics In N.Y.C in the first place? Why did 2 Pac and Ice T and others talk about it? So many people have talked about it,I thought it was an open fact not a point of dispute. Anyway, digressing, but I wish there was a more complete list so I could express what I mean better, but it's hard without all the info to hand.
Yeah - they were definitely throwing in a little slick talk about the Jheri Curls - which was definitely a west coast thing. Good catch on your part.

The thing about Ras though - is that he had an east coast sound. And Soul on Ice was far from 5 mics...but a lot better than 3. Around that time they started shytting on underground lyrical cats from all coasts.

The Naked Truth rating came in 2005 when no one paid attention to the Source (with the exception of @Wacky D who thinks it was their heyday :russ:). They had no credibility at that time.

It's always been the conventional wisdom that the Source was biased against other regions. If you asked me that question two weeks ago I would have told you the Source was biased myself. But @DANJ! started dropping all the different ratings and I found some other examples of East Coast or East Coast sounding artists getting shytted on. I also found a lot of examples (and @DANJ! talked about them as well) of west/south rappers getting good ratings. The numbers (that we have) don't really bear out the conventional wisdom that the Source was biased. :yeshrug:
And yeah it would be great to have a database of every review - but we are limited to what people remember and what's on the web. Plus we've seen a lot of reviews - enough I think to be statistically relevant.
hes talking about the tournament.

i hope hes just trolling.

:heh:
:stopitslime:I would never :troll:about the GOAT tournament. The credibility of your tournament was just :wow:. So when Wu won the whole thing (in spite of multiple attempts to fix it) - it was official that Wu was the best on the Coli.
all personal preference aside, BAU was the shakey album on-site. they gave it 4.5 off GP.
What do you mean it was shakey on site? You aren't talking about the reaction to it are you? You were at best turning 5.
lets pretend that the jungle brothers were in their prime when they got 3 mics brehs.:beli: you guys and your continued trickery.
I posted the review i found :yeshrug:
I'm not holding anything back.
So your argument with respect to the Native Tongue bias is what? It only applied to the two best groups (Tribe and De La) and it only applied to their best efforts. And the bias is that maybe one or two of those three albums should have got 4.5 instead of 5?
so what if those albums got 4s? THEYRE NOT DOGGYSTYLE.
All those albums are undisputed classics.
Pete and Diamond were two of the hottest producers in 92. Their debut albums both got the same score that Too $hort and Quik got for their 92 albums. :ohhh:
You saying Shorty the Pimp and Way to Fonkay are classics of the same magnitude as the Pete & CL and Diamond D albums?
MM is a whole other story...
The point is...all three of those albums have an argument for getting 5 mics. So does Snoop :yeshrug:
im judging based off the curve. when i see the lesser of doggystyle's contemporaries getting 4 1/2, then yes that becomes the main issue when doggystyle just gets a 4.
So 93 albums?
Boom Bap got 4.
krs_source1193.jpg

Souls got 3.5. The review is up there.
Wu got 4.5. Should have been 5. They got robbed.
Black Moon got 4. The review is up there.
De La got 4.5. :yeshrug:
Onyx got 3.5. I think the review is up there.
Is there some other monster album I'm forgetting?
So your beef is with De La and Wu?

lol @ black sheep. here yall go with the focusing on the ratings of lesser acts again, as if they viewed them to be on the same pedestal as the top groups of that ilk.:laugh: and i'll say it again. show me a group like black sheep that got 4, and i'll show you better albums of a different variety that got less than 4.:whistle:
Show me those albums that got less than 4 then...
AMW also had a the P.E/Bomb Squad influence/connection which I don't think can be undervalued in the discussion. That's what I mean, many intangibles, not just black and white.
That's a fair point. I think they dissed the production in the Death Certificate review too. But I think the Bomb Squad stepped out of their comfort zone on Cube's album. It doesn't sound like wall to wall East Coast beats to me :yeshrug:
What? Nasty Boy was trash, but I Love the Dough with Jay is a classic and one of the best songs on the album. Better than Brooklyn's Finest IMO.
Agreed about Love the Dough being the shyt...don't know about it being better than BF though...
LAD Was str8 eastcoast
:dahell:
How was it straight East Coast when it had a joint called Going Back to Cali. Or Notorious Thugs when he was rhyming like a group from the Midwest. Too Short was even on a track. It was actually a pretty diverse album musically. RTD had way more of that traditional East Coast production.
:salute:

So..........

talib n mos def
@aboss4real24 you are a young guy right? You're timeline is really off with a lot of this stuff...
Eazy post-NWA was droppin' all kinda mediocrity... 'Real Muthafukkin Gz' was dope, but that album was ehhhhh.
I actually really liked that album :yeshrug:
Far as the Ice Cube shyt- you love them conspiracy theories eh? :russ: In your opinion, DC is better than AMW. There's also people who feel the other way. I'm in the DC > AMW camp, but I do recall the impact of AMW. It was THE album of '90. The thing that gave AMW that edge is that it was Cube, arguably NWA's frontman... and the production team that in that era was arguably the best. That combination was a knockout at the time. And that's not to say DC wasn't just as great- but that AMW was blowing shyt away that year- and '90 wasn't a weak year by any means.
The East meets West element does make the album compelling. Not to mention the all-stars linking up too.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah - they were definitely throwing in a little slick talk about the Jheri Curls - which was definitely a west coast thing. Good catch on your part.

The thing about Ras though - is that he had an east coast sound. And Soul on Ice was far from 5 mics...but a lot better than 3. Around that time they started shytting on underground lyrical cats from all coasts.

The Naked Truth rating came in 2005 when no one paid attention to the Source (with the exception of @Wacky D who thinks it was their heyday :russ:). They had no credibility at that time.

It's always been the conventional wisdom that the Source was biased against other regions. If you asked me that question two weeks ago I would have told you the Source was biased myself. But @DANJ! started dropping all the different ratings and I found some other examples of East Coast or East Coast sounding artists getting shytted on. I also found a lot of examples (and @DANJ! talked about them as well) of west/south rappers getting good ratings. The numbers (that we have) don't really bear out the conventional wisdom that the Source was biased. :yeshrug:
And yeah it would be great to have a database of every review - but we are limited to what people remember and what's on the web. Plus we've seen a lot of reviews - enough I think to be statistically relevant.

:stopitslime:I would never :troll:about the GOAT tournament. The credibility of your tournament was just :wow:. So when Wu won the whole thing (in spite of multiple attempts to fix it) - it was official that Wu was the best on the Coli.

What do you mean it was shakey on site? You aren't talking about the reaction to it are you? You were at best turning 5.

I posted the review i found :yeshrug:
I'm not holding anything back.
So your argument with respect to the Native Tongue bias is what? It only applied to the two best groups (Tribe and De La) and it only applied to their best efforts. And the bias is that maybe one or two of those three albums should have got 4.5 instead of 5?

All those albums are undisputed classics.
Pete and Diamond were two of the hottest producers in 92. Their debut albums both got the same score that Too $hort and Quik got for their 92 albums. :ohhh:
You saying Shorty the Pimp and Way to Fonkay are classics of the same magnitude as the Pete & CL and Diamond D albums?
MM is a whole other story...
The point is...all three of those albums have an argument for getting 5 mics. So does Snoop :yeshrug:

So 93 albums?
Boom Bap got 4.
krs_source1193.jpg

Souls got 3.5. The review is up there.
Wu got 4.5. Should have been 5. They got robbed.
Black Moon got 4. The review is up there.
De La got 4.5. :yeshrug:
Onyx got 3.5. I think the review is up there.
Is there some other monster album I'm forgetting?
So your beef is with De La and Wu?

Show me those albums that got less than 4 then...

That's a fair point. I think they dissed the production in the Death Certificate review too. But I think the Bomb Squad stepped out of their comfort zone on Cube's album. It doesn't sound like wall to wall East Coast beats to me :yeshrug:

Agreed about Love the Dough being the shyt...don't know about it being better than BF though...

:dahell:

:salute:

@aboss4real24 you are a young guy right? You're timeline is really off with a lot of this stuff...

I actually really liked that album :yeshrug:

The East meets West element does make the album compelling. Not to mention the all-stars linking up too.

That's what I'm saying though, doesn't that itself indicate a bias? They wouldn't have said that in reverse. True, I don't have it as a 5 either, but at least a 4. If you listen to (speaking generally cause I know you have) the content of the album he says a lot of West Coast shyt and even speaks about the bias. I think there was a distaste for Ras there due to that. Would be interesting to see the actual review, hopefully they at least gave it big props lyrically. Mm, I'm just not sure they would have rated an East Coast artist with that level of lyrical acumen 3.