FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
What are some of the lowest scores Source has given out? :lupe:

Off top I think I can remember Young Zee's Musical Meltdown getting a low score which caused it to be shelved (crazy because its dope to me :yeshrug:)

That album was dope as fukk, not sure who reviewed it. It got a 2 rating.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
That album was dope as fukk, not sure who reviewed it. It got a 2 rating.
young-zee-resize1.jpg

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
It used to be if an album got 3.5 mics I would usually feel confident buying it. Even 3 mic efforts I'd consider.

I do recall Bushwick Bill or Willie Dee getting 2.5 mics. Lolololol.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
What poll?

hes talking about the tournament.

i hope hes just trolling.

:heh:

Business as Usual IMO is EPMD's best album... shyt never let up. If anything the 4.5 for Business Never Personal was over.

What are "all" the De La and Tribe albums that got 5? I count one for De La and two for Quest. The first one for Quest I don't agree... the second one without doubt. The De La is debatable as well. I loved it, but that's me.

But these aren't far-fetched ratings IMO. The same way you don't think they're that great, there are people who do. Thats all I'm saying thruout the thread... everybody has preferences. The word "bias" suggests having a specific agenda FOR one thing and AGAINST another. And all these reviews prove otherwise.

If the reviews and this thread prove nothing else, it's that everybody feels differently about different shyt. It's also worth mentioning that it's easy to look back 20 years later and say what shoulda got what... it's another thing to hear something in real time and make a decision based on a listen or two. I'm positive everybody in this thread has at least one album they don't feel the exact same way about now that they did upon first listen.

all personal preference aside, BAU was the shakey album on-site. they gave it 4.5 off GP.

these reviews dont prove much. AGAIN, its all about what they do at crunch-time. and you failed to show examples of them coming thru in the clutch.

you just agreed with me about de la & tribe. i dont know if you realize it.

De La & the 2 Tribe albums are absolute, 100% 5 mic records. Real time, retrospectively and for generations to come.

I mean, they're no Totally Krossed Out or Funkdafied but few albums are.

next time tag me when you got some slick chit to say.

and when you do, show me where i called those albums classics.:whistle:

Yet Ice Cream Man is an influential all-time classic:camby:

actually it is.

more than that album. definitely.

youre one of those 'dont say much' posters that just tries to blend in with whatever's trendy to say on the net. know your place.

After seeing all the reviews - do you still think so?

What about Pete & CL getting 4?
Diamond D getting 4?
Midnight Marauders getting 4?

Doggystyle getting 4 was perhaps their most egregious mistake (outside of Hell on Earth only getting 4.5) - but would you really have any kind of argument that the Source was biased if Snoop had gotten the 4.5? It seems that's all your argument boils down to at this point?

@Wacky D
why don't you go year by year and tell us what West/South albums should have gotten a 4 or 4.5?
In 1990 Cube got 5...

Plus they gave the Black Sheep record (which had that huge single) 4. Seems logical to me that they just really thought Tribe and De La were elite.

lets pretend that the jungle brothers were in their prime when they got 3 mics brehs.:beli: you guys and your continued trickery.

so what if those albums got 4s? THEYRE NOT DOGGYSTYLE. so why keep comparing? its like yall are purposly glossing over my premise here, just so yall can continue pushing your points.:facepalm:

im judging based off the curve. when i see the lesser of doggystyle's contemporaries getting 4 1/2, then yes that becomes the main issue when doggystyle just gets a 4.

and yea, doggystyle is >>> or = to illmatic, which got 5. but im trying to play nice here with the 4 1/2, because i already feel like im talking to a brick wall, so why bother arguing about 5?

yea, AMW got 5, but they made sure the next album got 4 1/2, even tho it was better.:laugh: if this was tribe or somebody, they wouldve gave 6 mics to DC.

lol @ black sheep. here yall go with the focusing on the ratings of lesser acts again, as if they viewed them to be on the same pedestal as the top groups of that ilk.:laugh: and i'll say it again. show me a group like black sheep that got 4, and i'll show you better albums of a different variety that got less than 4.:whistle:

Won Won

Superstar
Daps
youre one of those 'dont say much' posters that just tries to blend in with whatever's trendy to say on the net. know your place.

:russ:

Don't you have a shytty tournament/ranking thread to bump?

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
hes talking about the tournament.

i hope hes just trolling.

:heh:

all personal preference aside, BAU was the shakey album on-site. they gave it 4.5 off GP.

these reviews dont prove much. AGAIN, its all about what they do at crunch-time. and you failed to show examples of them coming thru in the clutch.

you just agreed with me about de la & tribe. i dont know if you realize it.

next time tag me when you got some slick chit to say.

and when you do, show me where i called those albums classics.:whistle:

actually it is.

more than that album. definitely.

lets pretend that the jungle brothers were in their prime when they got 3 mics brehs.:beli: you guys and your continued trickery.

so what if those albums got 4s? THEYRE NOT DOGGYSTYLE. so why keep comparing? its like yall are purposly glossing over my premise here, just so yall can continue pushing your points.:facepalm:

im judging based off the curve. when i see the lesser of doggystyle's contemporaries getting 4 1/2, then yes that becomes the main issue when doggystyle just gets a 4.

and yea, doggystyle is >>> or = to illmatic, which got 5. but im trying to play nice here with the 4 1/2, because i already feel like im talking to a brick wall, so why bother arguing about 5?

yea, AMW got 5, but they made sure the next album got 4 1/2, even tho it was better.:laugh: if this was tribe or somebody, they wouldve gave 6 mics to DC.

lol @ black sheep. here yall go with the focusing on the ratings of lesser acts again, as if they viewed them to be on the same pedestal as the top groups of that ilk.:laugh: and i'll say it again. show me a group like black sheep that got 4, and i'll show you better albums of a different variety that got less than 4.:whistle:

AMW also had a the P.E/Bomb Squad influence/connection which I don't think can be undervalued in the discussion. That's what I mean, many intangibles, not just black and white.

FiveShoTz

(Bernie Mac Voice)
Daps
Reppin
NY+NJ
There really was no bias tho

just salty rappers from different regions mad there albums werent that good

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
AEOM wasn't included on the list because at time it was seen as album with a lot of filler, it had classic songs and shyt, it's a classic album but it has damn too much filler tracks. Not in my opinion, but in most critics opinion. If they cut that album down to 1 disc only and put all the best tracks from both sides it would've definitely made the list.

There's not bias here.
i feel that way about LAD...:ld: