EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
@Wacky D is this what you're talking about?

So is it confirmed that Kanye didn't write anything for his first two albums? I knew Fest wrote Jesus Walks, and I'd heard rumors about ghostwriting, but can we really say he didn't write anything (on the first two albums - Graduation and 808 were disappointing lyrically). Don't sleep on Kanye (or the dudes who write his chit - whatever the case may be!) the skill is there. He outshined Mos and Freeway on Two Words, Through the Wire was ill and All Falls Down may have been the most lyrical song on the album. LR had some chit too - his verse on Gone was crazy - he spazzed on Diamonds and Late was ill too. Of course - he can be incredibly uneven - but when he's on - he's crazy nice with his son.

I stand by that. I miss that Kanye. On the boards too.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Cube being in WSC don't mean shyt. Prior to that, Cube hadn't gotten a rating that high in 5 years. Matter fact, Lethal Injection (deservedly) got a 3.5. In the review IIRC, it was noted that Bow Down was the best Cube project in a long time.

Onyx wasn't their type? In '93? Amped-up NY hip-hop with shouted hooks and violence? That was the biggest thing going on in NY that year. If hardcore East Coast shyt wasn't the Source's bag... Redman's first album (4.5)? Black Moon (4)? Nah?

Eiht and P woulda got more than 4 with the same quality but different styles... so... if the albums sounded completely different than what they were? :russ: How does that even work? So if they were completely different rappers, with completely different sound... so say, if they sounded like Jay-Z and AZ instead? They woulda still got 4! :mjlol:

Nah, not Drake. A lightskin nikka from Boston and two of his friends... who just happened to have influence at the magazine. :mjpls:

he still cube tho. and he stepped up. the window was always open.

@mobbinfms the critic type never liked onyx like that. its clearly not their groove, and not comparable to redman or even black moon. i dont understand the comparison there.

man, does eiht even have an album on the top 100?

P shouldve got no less than a 4 1/2 for ghetto d. and if you want to compare him to reasonable doubt, then you have to compare it to "ice cream man". the mainstream debuts via '96 priority records. and mind you, "ice cream man" is held in the same regard as ghetto d. many even say that its better. yet it got a whopping 3 mics. COUNT EM UP. 3 mics.

ehh, AZ was just under-appreciated all around. he had those illmatic expectations on his head. it wasnt just the source low-balling that classic lp.

i disagree. i'd take made men's album over some of those 4.5s, even some 5s. now im not saying that it deserved 4.5, and im not crazy about the fiasco, but i understand.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
That Treacherous Three album was more likea compilation though. It would be like Bone finally putting an album with teh Crossroads remix on it out in 1999. The Flash album is a good example though. Kurtis Blow might have a legit gripe too - but I've never heard any of his albums.

I thought the Benzino era started after the Made Men got 4.5 in 1999? If so - the mid 90s ratings still should have been very east coast/real hip hop biased (which they weren't)

I didn't say there weren't now. But that they weren't viewed as if they were gonna be one in real time.

This is a fair point. The girl in the group. The singing. They had their hip-hop bonafies though. :yeshrug:

I disagree with this - I was always hearing about them in hip-hop discussions in 96. I was running into people in the street talking about they had been out all day trying to find a copy of the Score b/c it was sold out.

Are you saying that I have to view them the way that you do in order to not be downplaying them?
Knowing that I'm not a fan at all - what exactly would be the proper way to acknowledge them?

We bumped heads over E-40 and Juvenile. I don't even remember talking to you about Kanye - but I'll see if I can find what you're referencing.

That's not the line. The Mac song right? I've never heard it but I googled the lyrics...
Apparently its "who he sound like?" Do you remember the very next group he mentioned after Bone? I'll give you a hint - they're the GOAT group on the Coli according to a very reputable poll.

treacherous three was more like a compilation how?:lupe:

i dont know when the benzino era began exactly, but thats around the time that the source began to get a bit hipper. those were the biggest years for the magazine, btw.

well, no new artists were viewed as legends in real-time. but you knew bone were having a 1st ballot hall of fame career. thats all i want you to acknowledge. its not about who you like or dislike personally. thats all preference. you just need to acknowledge whats real.

again, im not saying that the fugees werent popular. im saying that they werent the type of group that were at the center of heated arguments. they were halfway novelties.

thats prolly the line. same chit.:ehh:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The Made Men shyt is just terrible, breh. Stop. :russ: Seriously. I know you like to root for the unpopular opinion, but that shyt is even extreme by your standard. Ray Benzino and RSO/Made Men/Untouchables/whoever are the standard bearer for how "connections" can help your career thrive way longer than it ever needed to. That album is a 3.5 at best. His shyt epitomizes mediocrity.

We can talk about who shoulda got what all day... that's all subjective. Point is, that bias people speak of is exaggerated as fukk. I can name COUNTLESS East Coast acts that got average-to-OK ratings, just as many as West Coast or Southern acts. And even outside the ratings, what about the amount of COVERAGE they gave to nikkas?

It's just funny to read people act like the Source was being so discriminatory against people not from the East. cause I remember when NY nikkas used to dis the Source for pole-jockin' Cali. nikkas had a heartattack when they did a whole issue that tributing Miami Bass. nikkas in the Source Awards booin' all night because non-NY acts were winnin' so many awards (in '94 AND '95). I'm just sayin' breh... Source ain't been no NY-centric mag since like '91 (and even then, Cube was their artist of the year, NWA was album of the year, and Geto Boys was single of the year :mjlol:)

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
@mobbinfms

everybody should list their next 10 that they would put in from '98 - present. and see how many of them are worthy of crackin the list.

like nba-tv did with that old top 50 list a week or so ago.

The Made Men shyt is just terrible, breh. Stop. :russ: Seriously. I know you like to root for the unpopular opinion, but that shyt is even extreme by your standard. Ray Benzino and RSO/Made Men/Untouchables/whoever are the standard bearer for how "connections" can help your career thrive way longer than it ever needed to. That album is a 3.5 at best. His shyt epitomizes mediocrity.

We can talk about who shoulda got what all day... that's all subjective. Point is, that bias people speak of is exaggerated as fukk. I can name COUNTLESS East Coast acts that got average-to-OK ratings, just as many as West Coast or Southern acts. And even outside the ratings, what about the amount of COVERAGE they gave to nikkas?

It's just funny to read people act like the Source was being so discriminatory against people not from the East. cause I remember when NY nikkas used to dis the Source for pole-jockin' Cali. nikkas had a heartattack when they did a whole issue that tributing Miami Bass. nikkas in the Source Awards booin' all night because non-NY acts were winnin' so many awards (in '94 AND '95). I'm just sayin' breh... Source ain't been no NY-centric mag since like '91 (and even then, Cube was their artist of the year, NWA was album of the year, and Geto Boys was single of the year :mjlol:)

i dont root for unpopular opinion.

you hit the nail on the noggin with the bolded. theres albums that got 4.5 & 5 that i wouldnt give higher than a 3.5. now maybe you get the point.

im just saying, they had a bias. i never said it was as bad as people made it out to be, but it existed. i gave examples too. another example is doggystyle getting 4 while outkast gets 4.5. thats just ridiculous.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

you hit the nail on the noggin with the bolded. theres albums that got 4.5 & 5 that i wouldnt give higher than a 3.5. now maybe you get the point.

im just saying, they had a bias. i never said it was as bad as people made it out to be, but it existed. i gave examples too. another example is doggystyle getting 4 while outkast gets 4.5. thats just ridiculous.

So just outta curiosity... cause this is fun...

what are the albums that got 4.5 or 5 that you think deserved a 3.5.

OK, the Outkast albums, I know... let's go head and get them out the way. What else?

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

Are you sure you're not confusing bias with... I don't know... preference? Some of these examples you're using as "bias" just seem like you're saying these folks didn't have a right to like anything more than something else. Doesn't... like... everybody do that? :russ: If I liked Doggystyle more than Midnight Marauders... does that mean I was being biased against the East Coast?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
So just outta curiosity... cause this is fun...

what are the albums that got 4.5 or 5 that you think deserved a 3.5.

OK, the Outkast albums, I know... let's go head and get them out the way. What else?

what do you mean kast albums(plural)? i was just referring to aquemini. that chit is a 3.5 at best.
i dont know what atliens got(i'd give it a 4) but its better than made men regardless.
spcm is their classic, but it shouldnt have got 4.5 out the gate when theres superior albums that got lesser(sometimes way lesser) ratings.

im drawing blanks on the 4.5s right now. i guess i gotta go digging in my old mags.

i dont like tribe's debut at all. not 5 mic material.

Are you sure you're not confusing bias with... I don't know... preference? Some of these examples you're using as "bias" just seem like you're saying these folks didn't have a right to like anything more than something else. Doesn't... like... everybody do that? :russ: If I liked Doggystyle more than Midnight Marauders... does that mean I was being biased against the East Coast?

so nice you had to quote it twice ehh?:sas2:

theres a fine line between preference & bias.

doggystyle is clearly superior to midnight marauders. so yea, if midnight got a higher rating, then theres biased there.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
what do you mean kast albums(plural)? i was just referring to aquemini. that chit is a 3.5 at best.
i dont know what atliens got(i'd give it a 4) but its better than made men regardless.
spcm is their classic, but it shouldnt have got 4.5 out the gate when theres superior albums that got lesser(sometimes way lesser) ratings.

im drawing blanks on the 4.5s right now. i guess i gotta go digging in my old mags.

i dont like tribe's debut at all. not 5 mic material.

so nice you had to quote it twice ehh?:sas2:

theres a fine line between preference & bias.

doggystyle is clearly superior to midnight marauders. so yea, if midnight got a higher rating, then theres biased there.

Nope they both got 4.

And "clearly superior"... see, now that's your "bias". MM is a classic as well. Quest has a lotta fans, I'm pretty sure there's people who love that album more. They're both easily top 3-4 albums of '93, but I'm sure EVERYBODY's list doesn't go the same way. Is it bias or preference? So it's OK to love Doggystyle more, but not MM? So is that West Coast bias, or do you just prefer Doggystyle (no GLAAD)?

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
i didnt start feeling a bit more comfortable with the source's ratings of other styles until the hot boys came thru and got 4 1/2.

thats the benzino era. THE APEX OF THE BENZINO ERA.

@DaveyDave

Nope they both got 4.

And "clearly superior"... see, now that's your "bias". MM is a classic as well. Quest has a lotta fans, I'm pretty sure there's people who love that album more. They're both easily top 3-4 albums of '93, but I'm sure EVERYBODY's list doesn't go the same way. Is it bias or preference? So it's OK to love Doggystyle more, but not MM? So is that West Coast bias, or do you just prefer Doggystyle (no GLAAD)?

everybody has fans.

but doggystyle is a general consensus goat contender. you cant say that about any tribe album.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
i didnt start feeling a bit more comfortable with the source's ratings of other styles until the hot boys came thru and got 4 1/2.

thats the benzino era. THE APEX OF THE BENZINO ERA.

@DaveyDave

everybody has fans.

but doggystyle is a general consensus goat contender. you cant say that about any tribe album.

But I'm not talkin' about general consensus and what they feel about it 20 years later.

I'm talkin' about my personal opinion. Am *I* biased for liking one more than the other?

Or am I just supposed to like Doggystyle better cause it's a general consensus favorite... or because *I* like it better?

Or if I like MM better am I being biased? Why? Cause general consensus prefers Doggystyle? Why can't I just like it independent of consensus?

Matter fact, what if, like the people who wrote at the Source in '93, I rated these albums in real time... with NO consensus to speak of, because these albums were both brand new. Just my own personal opinion, I like one more than the other... is it preference, or bias?