EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
im talking ratings with MOP/Onyx. not none of that other chit. by that logic, EVERYBODY gets props in the source.

was the last statement the question that youre referring to? it prolly got lost in the midst of the 100s of replies i was doing at once.

how many mics did eiht & e-40 get on their debuts? not when they were established and given the obligatory 4 while they were still at or near their peaks. thats just common practice. i'd be impressed if mc eiht got a 4 1/2 for one of his classics or arguable classics(whichever term you prefer). a 4 while he was coming off of mennace II society doesnt impress me. im not gonna ask about too short because he pre-dated the mics. and quik might have gotten a good rating, cuz he was getting east coast love with his debut. but shoot, what did he get anyway?

on the other side of town, outside of souls of mischief, i dont recall any of those other albums really being notable, even amongst backpackers. im surprised rass kass didnt get at least a 3 1/2 tho.

So...

Basically, if I am to go by the things you've said throughout this thread...

They were OBLIGATED to give nikkas high ratings on some just because shyt. Not because it was great, not because it deserved the rating... just because. And by not doing that, it meant there was bias and prejudice going on.

I already said what Too Short and Quik got... none of the early CMW albums were as good as We Come Strapped, you sayin' they shoulda got high ratings for the hell of it? :laff:

Maybe I'm gettin' your message the wrong way, but the way you're conveying it is that instead of "bias", they should've given them the opposite, preferential treatment. To me, giving E-40 a 4 at ANY point in his career was being generous, but that's just my own opinion of his music.

And Common's Resurrection or OC's Word Life not notable amongst "backpackers"? How many backpackers were you conversing with at 9 years old, Wacky? :russ: Most of the big underground hip-hop gods of that era were NOT getting high ratings. There's way more 3s and 3.5s for them than 4s and 4.5s.

Nothing I say is gonna alter your opinion on this tho, I know how you do. I'd be foolin' myself if I thought you would see it differently after I posted all those different ratings.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
So...

Basically, if I am to go by the things you've said throughout this thread...

They were OBLIGATED to give nikkas high ratings on some just because shyt. Not because it was great, not because it deserved the rating... just because. And by not doing that, it meant there was bias and prejudice going on.

I already said what Too Short and Quik got... none of the early CMW albums were as good as We Come Strapped, you sayin' they shoulda got high ratings for the hell of it? :laff:

Maybe I'm gettin' your message the wrong way, but the way you're conveying it is that instead of "bias", they should've given them the opposite, preferential treatment. To me, giving E-40 a 4 at ANY point in his career was being generous, but that's just my own opinion of his music.

And Common's Resurrection or OC's Word Life not notable amongst "backpackers"? How many backpackers were you conversing with at 9 years old, Wacky? :russ: Most of the big underground hip-hop gods of that era were NOT getting high ratings. There's way more 3s and 3.5s for them than 4s and 4.5s.

Nothing I say is gonna alter your opinion on this tho, I know how you do. I'd be foolin' myself if I thought you would see it differently after I posted all those different ratings.

whoa. lemme fallback a minute. cuz its stuff that youre saying that i dont remember reading.

for instance, i thought you were talking about common's debut.(for what its worth tho, that common is a 3 1/2 guy anyway).

as for the obligatory comments. master p went from getting 3 to 4, even tho both albums are pretty much equals. bone went from 3 1/2 to 4 with a lesser album. thats what i meant by obligatory.

Techniec

Drugs and Kalashnikovs
Daps
Reppin
W/S 416
Of course there was a bias, from the new york establishment, whether radio, djs or magazines

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
i didnt begin to feel a tad bit comfortable with their rating until the hot boys got 4 1/2.

that wouldve never happened earlier in the '90s.

@DANJ!

How many backpackers were you conversing with at 9 years old, Wacky? :russ: Most of the big underground hip-hop gods of that era were NOT getting high ratings. There's way more 3s and 3.5s for them than 4s and 4.5s.

@ the bolded - i actually was around alot of em. you mustve forgot, that backpackers back then were the original man.

i understand tho, cuz i let this comment blow right pass me when i read it. i guess we all forgot.

Last edited:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Of course there was a bias, from the new york establishment, whether radio, djs or magazines

So... lemme ask you this... while y'all were jammin' the fukk outta Snoop, Dre, Pac, Cube, Dogg Pound, E-40, Quik, Above the Law, Luniz, etc... were y'all throwing Mobb Deep or Smif-n-Wessun shyt into that mix or nah?

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
onyx doesnt reasonate with backpackers. too rowdy, and they dont appeal to them at all. hell, they dont even give MOP their props, and theyre closer to being up their alley than onyx.
We talking BCC backpackers or "conscious" backpackers? Onyx and MOP would definitely appeal to fans of BCC.
Doggystyle should have got at least 4.5 ... the East bias was obvious in that one. All the other shyt is arguable but that rating was obviously hating especially with the wack ass reasoning of why it wasn't a classic by the writer.
One rating, no matter how bad that particular rating was, doesn't prove bias.
If they had given 36 Chambers 2.5 mics would you claim they were biased against the East?
Its not like comparing Wu to Bone. Wu being better was just a fact but that's a debate for another day
It's definitely a fact now thanks to
@Wacky D and his poll. :blessed:
But do I think it was hate? From the same mag that spent the entirety of '93 hyping Snoop to astronomical levels? Nah. If anything, they thought he was gonna make the best thing in all of music of all time. If you read the mag back then, they were ramping this thing up to be "the wheel". This is why the "East bias" to me is bullshyt... because The Chronic was a Cali album that got bumped everywhere including NY, even on mixtapes (and most NY mixtape DJs indeed WERE NY-biased). Chronic (and NWA albums before that) were albums that broke thru big on the East... and Snoop was anticipated across the board. And The Source in particular were sweatin' Snoop's shyt that whole year.
At the end of the day - no one seems to have actually been reading the magazine as long as you have. The conventional wisdom has always been that the Source was biased against the West/South. You've challenged that with actual ratings - everybody else is just gonna keep reciting what we've all been tought about the Source.
It deserves a 5, doe.
I think it was lucky to get the rating that it did. The album didn't live up to my expectations.
im talking ratings with MOP/Onyx. not none of that other chit. by that logic, EVERYBODY gets props in the source.
One form of bias would be if they didn't cover artists from other regions...
not when they were established and given the obligatory 4 while they were still at or near their peaks. thats just common practice.
I agree with this - they seemed to be very cautious about shytting on very popular and established artists in the late 90s.
bias about what..
The Source has long been accused of being biased against the West and South. Supposedly artists from those regions would get low ratings. It's basically conventional wisdom if you were a fan of the music in the 90s.

@DANJ! has posted numerous ratings showing that this isn't the case.
for instance, i thought you were talking about common's debut.(for what its worth tho, that common is a 3 1/2 guy anyway).
You saying Common doesn't have an album better than 3.5? :scust:
I think there was a bias.

Can you show the bias through comparing ratings of artists from different regions or with different styles?

This kinda proves theres was no bias.
How so? Cause they had artists from all different regions listed on the cover?

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
We talking BCC backpackers or "conscious" backpackers? Onyx and MOP would definitely appeal to fans of BCC.

If they had given 36 Chambers 2.5 mics would you claim they were biased against the East?

At the end of the day - no one seems to have actually been reading the magazine as long as you have. The conventional wisdom has always been that the Source was biased against the West/South. You've challenged that with actual ratings - everybody else is just gonna keep reciting what we've all been tought about the Source.

I think it was lucky to get the rating that it did. The album didn't live up to my expectations.

I agree with this - they seemed to be very cautious about shytting on very popular and established artists in the late 90s.

The Source has long been accused of being biased against the West and South. Supposedly artists from those regions would get low ratings. It's basically conventional wisdom if you were a fan of the music in the 90s.

Can you show the bias through comparing ratings of artists from different regions or with different styles?

Exactly. Theres more artists from different regions listen on the cover than from the East Coast

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Is there a list with all the mic rating available? If so posting it could be useful to the discussion.