EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
nonsense. they had to include them. but they threw shade. if you want to be in denial about it, be my guest. im not playing this game anymore. people already spelled the bias out for you.

compare the importance & impact of "hell on earth" to e.99 eternal & AEOM brehs.

they did the old school dirty on this list actually, altho i do see the favoritism towards the late '80s/early '90s, but some of the older acts got done DIRTY. we can go back n forth about that if you want. im not arguing with you about the other stuff anymore tho.

because biggie is synonymous with pac. not the others. and it doesnt even have to be about biggie. they prolly just felt some type of way about pac having 3.

i forgot what was on this list exactly. but i already listed my snubs and who didnt need to have 3. i know tribe was one of them.

if you think bone wasnt considered elite at the time, then you either mustve stayed in the house or you think "elite" means getting propped up by out-of-touch elitists. nobody said they were in the conversation for best singular emcees. they were in the conversation for BEST GROUP!!!!!! it was all about bone thugs n wutang. what yall think, that chit started on the coli? you ride for mobb deep, yea they were top-tier but they werent quite in that debate unless you from up top. and lol @ outkast and the roots. no need to even humor the thought of them being placed in such category. and man, i dont like dissin the roots. look what yall made me do.

and this "yea they were popular but" argument is just some weak elitist chit. once you hit a certain level of popularity on the streets, you are indeed amongst the elite.

compare "hell on earth" to e.99 eternal & AEOM brehs.
@DANJ! Already dispelled the bias myth. At least for the west coast. Great albums on the west and east didn't get the five they deserved. If someone wants to do an analysis on albums in the 3-4.5 range to show bias then we could talk about that.
You had said earlier that there were no albums pre 84. Which ones should have been on the list? You mentioned a Fat Boys album too. I think you said EPMD and Tribe didn't deserve three albums. What do you think about KRS having three?

So if it's not about Biggie and they just wanted to snub Pac, do you have any proof of that? They are critics. Making a list of the best albums. If they had issues with AEOM were they supposed to include it because it's popular? Isn't that what's wrong with hip hop journalism? Shouldn't they take stands? Even if time proves them wrong?

Bone wasn't in the conversation for elite groups at the time. If you've got some kind of objective evidence they were then post it. They were to far removed from what was conventional at the time. Right or wrong, bias or not, that's how it was.

The streets, just like any other group of people, is mostly casual fans. Being popular on the streets will make you hot, it won't make an album good.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
@DANJ! Already dispelled the bias myth. At least for the west coast. Great albums on the west and east didn't get the five they deserved. If someone wants to do an analysis on albums in the 3-4.5 range to show bias then we could talk about that.
You had said earlier that there were no albums pre 84. Which ones should have been on the list? You mentioned a Fat Boys album too. I think you said EPMD and Tribe didn't deserve three albums. What do you think about KRS having three?

So if it's not about Biggie and they just wanted to snub Pac, do you have any proof of that? They are critics. Making a list of the best albums. If they had issues with AEOM were they supposed to include it because it's popular? Isn't that what's wrong with hip hop journalism? Shouldn't they take stands? Even if time proves them wrong?

Bone wasn't in the conversation for elite groups at the time. If you've got some kind of objective evidence they were then post it. They were to far removed from what was conventional at the time. Right or wrong, bias or not, that's how it was.

The streets, just like any other group of people, is mostly casual fans. Being popular on the streets will make you hot, it won't make an album good.

hip-hop IS the streets. stop trying to downplay the streets just so you can boost your personal favorites with no regard.

bone wasnt considered an elite group by whom? and on what planet? what type of logic are you using here?:laugh: serious question. cuz they were clearly the most popular of their era. that alone makes them elite. you can only be but so popular if youre not. its not like they just got mainstream love & nothing else. im talking real rap popularity. but your whole logic sounds like the same rippity-rap fantasy world nonsense that kept me from taking magazine ratings seriously. thats why im asking you to explain, cuz i dont want to unfairly lump you in with them.

you didnt dispell any myth. the homie broke the mic differentials down for you. and as i said before, its not about east or west. its more about styles. the source is quicker to give a high rating to somebody like the pharcyde before they give it to the diplomats - who they always gave ridiculously low ratings to.

theyre not taking any stands. theyre playing favorites. if they were taking a stand against AEOM, then they would have to come up with a better explanation than those ducktales that one of yall posted earlier(if they actually said that). if they were taking a stand against e.99 eternal, they would have something better to say besides "you cant understand what theyre saying", when there millions of people that know the album word-for-word.

edit: krs' boom bap doesnt need to be up there. i thought one of the early '90s BDP joints got 5 mics out the gate tho? dont see it on here.

yea wheres the fat boys? wheres treacherous three? furious five? they couldve threw a cold crush tape in there.

Last edited:

eerieBell

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da Magnolia
AEOM wasn't included on the list because at time it was seen as album with a lot of filler, it had classic songs and shyt, it's a classic album but it has damn too much filler tracks. Not in my opinion, but in most critics opinion. If they cut that album down to 1 disc only and put all the best tracks from both sides it would've definitely made the list.

There's not bias here.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
hip-hop IS the streets. stop trying to downplay the streets just so you can boost your personal favorites with no regard.
:comeon:That's not what I said. I said the streets, like any other group of people, is mostly casual fans. You didn't say this - but I would actually agree that the streets probably has the best percentage in terms of serious fans. Cause like you said - Hip Hop is the Streets (or was). And who am I trying to boost here? If I was gonna boost anyone it'd be Mobb Deep and I haven't done that at all in this thread (if I was a less scrupulous poster I would have thrown that Big Noyd EP on the list :lolbron:)

bone wasnt considered an elite group by whom? and on what planet? what type of logic are you using here?:laugh: serious question. cuz they were clearly the most popular of their era. that alone makes them elite. you can only be but so popular if youre not. its not like they just got mainstream love & nothing else. im talking real rap popularity. but your whole logic sounds like the same rippity-rap fantasy world nonsense that kept me from taking magazine ratings seriously. thats why im asking you to explain, cuz i dont want to unfairly lump you in with them.
Here is the logic. Bone was from Cleveland. They came out with a sing/song rap style that was, for all intents and purposes, brand new and completely different from what everybody else was doing. They had some devil worshipping elements to them (the ouija stuff - maybe devil worshipping itsn't the right word - but that's what I'm getting at). They were more of a novelty. They had massively popular singles. But nobody was heralding one of them as the second coming. Nobody went and got beats from Uneek (that I know of - and it was raised in the other thread and nobody offered an example). They were on their own little island. They didn't fit in with the status quo of how we even evaluated the shyt. The Source gave them 3.5 mics on E.1999. Nobody gave a shyt. Snoop getting four was immediately controversial. Smif N Wessun getting 2.5 (or whatever it was) was immediately controversial. They just weren't in the discussion. :yeshrug:
you didnt dispell any myth. the homie broke the mic differentials down for you.
That's why I tagged him :snoop:
and as i said before, its not about east or west. its more about styles. the source is quicker to give a high rating to somebody like the pharcyde before they give it to the diplomats - who they always gave ridiculously low ratings to.
What did Dipset get? I stopped paying attention to the Source after 2000.
I don't know. The Roots got 4.5. Kast got 5. Mobb Deep and OBFCL got 4.5. The Chronic got 4.5. That's a lot of different styles :yeshrug:
theyre not taking any stands. theyre playing favorites. if they were taking a stand against AEOM, then they would have to come up with a better explanation than those ducktales that one of yall posted earlier(if they actually said that). if they were taking a stand against e.99 eternal, they would have something better to say besides "you cant understand what theyre saying", when there millions of people that know the album word-for-word.
Playing favorites? How is that any different? They didn't think it was all that :yeshrug:
edit: krs' boom bap doesnt need to be up there. i thought one of the early '90s BDP joints got 5 mics out the gate tho? dont see it on here.

yea wheres the fat boys? wheres treacherous three? furious five? they couldve threw a cold crush tape in there.
Sex and Violence got 4.5 :yeshrug:
What Treacherous Three or Furious Five albums? They probably didn't consider tapes albums. :yeshrug:

If PAC ain't #1 on any list it's wrong.
Get upset about somebody not being #1 on an unranked list brehs :sas2:

pac albums aren't THAT good though, hes a great artist but all his albums have fillers imo
:stopitslime:His last three were classics though.

AEOM wasn't included on the list because at time it was seen as album with a lot of filler, it had classic songs and shyt, it's a classic album but it has damn too much filler tracks. Not in my opinion, but in most critics opinion. If they cut that album down to 1 disc only and put all the best tracks from both sides it would've definitely made the list.

There's not bias here.
This is true too - but it was also seen as a "Death Row" album.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
@Wacky D
The Fugees were actually the group you are trying to make Bone out to be (in real time I mean).
The album was considered a classic. Lauryn was heralded as a massive talent (singing of course, but on the mic as well). And they got love across the board.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
@Wacky D
The Fugees were actually the group you are trying to make Bone out to be (in real time I mean).
The album was considered a classic. Lauryn was heralded as a massive talent (singing of course, but on the mic as well). And they got love across the board.

:wtf: no they werent.

i think something i said got lost in translation.

fugees were basically what kanye west was in the mid-00s, except better & more popular.

:comeon:That's not what I said. I said the streets, like any other group of people, is mostly casual fans. You didn't say this - but I would actually agree that the streets probably has the best percentage in terms of serious fans. Cause like you said - Hip Hop is the Streets (or was). And who am I trying to boost here? If I was gonna boost anyone it'd be Mobb Deep and I haven't done that at all in this thread (if I was a less scrupulous poster I would have thrown that Big Noyd EP on the list :lolbron:)

Here is the logic. Bone was from Cleveland. They came out with a sing/song rap style that was, for all intents and purposes, brand new and completely different from what everybody else was doing. They had some devil worshipping elements to them (the ouija stuff - maybe devil worshipping itsn't the right word - but that's what I'm getting at). They were more of a novelty. They had massively popular singles. But nobody was heralding one of them as the second coming. Nobody went and got beats from Uneek (that I know of - and it was raised in the other thread and nobody offered an example). They were on their own little island. They didn't fit in with the status quo of how we even evaluated the shyt. The Source gave them 3.5 mics on E.1999. Nobody gave a shyt. Snoop getting four was immediately controversial. Smif N Wessun getting 2.5 (or whatever it was) was immediately controversial. They just weren't in the discussion. :yeshrug:

That's why I tagged him :snoop:

What did Dipset get? I stopped paying attention to the Source after 2000.
I don't know. The Roots got 4.5. Kast got 5. Mobb Deep and OBFCL got 4.5. The Chronic got 4.5. That's a lot of different styles :yeshrug:
What Treacherous Three or Furious Five albums? They probably didn't consider tapes albums. :yeshrug:

youre basically proving my point and playing right into my hands.:beli:

theyre from a new town, new style, etc. basically, they didnt fit the mode of elitists........."so they must be a novelty".:whistle:

all these artists youre mentioning are artists that make the type of music that reasonates with the backpacks & the writers. the roots, outkast, mobb deep, raekwon, smiff-n-wessun. with dre/snoop/death row/nwa being the generic exception. the "token black friend" if you will. word to the homie @MooseMouthMthafuga.

typical & predictable.:laugh: and of course a big deal wasnt made about e.99 eternal getting 3 1/2, because people who were into bone thugs and all these other snub artists didnt live by mics like yall. i know i sure didnt live by mics. didnt even know what their rating was until a couple years ago. hell, this is why other mags that took the opposite approach, came thru and ate just off GP. i can name a ton of other examples.

what it comes down to is these writers and the people that subscribe to their same train of thought(youre one of them) have a way of living in your own bubble. if something doesnt fit your mold, you brush it off like it just doesnt matter. and its so deeply engraved in yall, you dont even realize it. even when you think youre being fair, youre throwing shade.

treacherous three & furious five got albums dog.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
You've got a real weak argument for bias if the argument is Pac should have had three instead of two. And why do you keep saying it was about Biggie? If it was a east west thing wouldn't they have put more Nas, Mobb and Wu? Why have as many west coast albums?

What lesser acts had three? And does it matter if the acts are lesser if the albums were good enough to be on the list?

Nobody talked about Bone like they were elite at the time. It wasn't - who's the best emcees Biggie Jay-Z and Wish Bone. They were popular and people loved the singles and the style - but they weren't in the conversation about who was the best. Not in 95-97.

And I pointed out the thing about Mobb not having two because it's interesting that they had Roots and Kast ahead of them. The Source were huge Mobb supporters. And I didn't bytch about it either - at the end of the day - thinking about how HOE was received in real time - I get it.

Also - outside of the two albums (Bone and AEOM) do you have any major qualms with the list? Can you think of a similar list that's better?

I'm GLAD you said "in real time". I'm GLAD. Exxxxactly.

It's very easy to say NOW... almost 20 years and emotional connections later that certain albums were or were not classics. In real time, different story. Especially when you consider how much good music was coming out in that era... when the bar is already high, it's also harder to reach or go above that bar. I said before, nobody was in the middle of 1994 sayin' "yo, this is the greatest year ever in hip-hop!" nikkas didn't have 2014 on their mind, or know if they'd still be bumpin' shyt in 20 years. Real time just is what it is. There's Clue tapes I hear and just :mindblown: at how many classic songs were out in that same block of time that the tape was made. But we didn't dwell on that shyt... it was always dope new shyt comin' out. 20/20 hindsight makes it easier to say "this was a classic, this was a classic..." nikkas'll call anything old a classic if they got the free reign to do so. A lot of them shyts were just dope-ass albums when they were new. There's shyt like Doe Or Die and Tical that you'd swear crushed the game if you let nikkas' current opinions tell it... back then, they were dope and the world kept spinnin'.

But in the 90s, one thing is for sure- 80s nostalgia was in full swing. Wild to think nikkas were being SUPER-nostalgic for music that was less than 10 years old, like a lifetime had passed since then. Old School tribute albums, specials on TV, etc. This is before nikkas were takin' the title "Golden Age" off of the late-80s and tried to move it over to the mid-90s, and acted like anything pre-Chronic didn't exist. This is when the Chronic was considered a turning point of a new era, and the era that predated it was considered the greatest time in hip-hop ever. This is when rappers o the time were covering and sampling all them shyts, and saluting Rakim as the undisputed GOAT.

Last edited:

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Wacky... have you heard any of those T3 or Furious 5 albums, or are you just saying they got done dirty cause you swear this list was done with mean-spirited axe-grinding intentions?

There's not many albums (if any) pre-84 that are considered huge classics. In fact, '79 up to about '87 was largely based on singles more than albums. There were exception of course (such as Run-DMC, LL, Whodini, Beasties) but you'll have better luck finding a wealth of classic singles than full albums. Only around '87-'88 did great hip-hop albums start coming out in bulk... another reason '88 is considered to be pivotal, because of all the debut and breakthrough albums that were out that year.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
And as far as this stylistic bias... that's BS too.

Pharcyde got 3.5s. Artists like Too Short and E-40 got 4s more often than not. MC Eiht got 4. Souls of
Mischief, O.C., Common- dudes like that got 3.5. Scarface got 4s, 4.5, and eventually a 5. Smif n Wessun got 3. Onyx got 3.5s. Ice Cube got everything ranging btwn 3 and 5... Nas also ran between 3 to 5. Mobb Deep got a 4.5 the same issue Westside Connection got a 4.5...

If you're gonna say stuff like this, remember them numbers and them ratings to back what you're saying. That's a lot of different styles and different ratings. Maybe some albums were just liked more? Strange concept, I know.

And that's not to say their word is 100% law. Nobody's is. It's always opinion. Even they themselves have said in hindsight, some albums may have deserved more, others may have deserved less. Again, real time vs. hindsight. There's albums I don't feel the exact same way about now that I did the first time I heard 'em. Some shyt grew on me, other shyt I don't like as much as I did. Is that a weird thing?