mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Here you go...........

2w6s28k.jpg
If you got time - can you post some of the other lists? I think there was best verse and most underrated albums too.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
1 more thing about the albums. theyre shakey on the pre-87 stuff. and anything before '84 got thrown to the bushes altogether. SMH.

i stopped reading the top 100 singles when they had bone thugs up for just "thuggish ruggish bone" and nothing else.

if youre not east coast or at least pander to its stylings, these magazines will throw shade at you. they only mentioned bone on those lists because they had to, and they gave them a 1 entry quota for both lists.

i never took these nerd writers or their ratings systems seriously PERIOD. i didnt even f*ck with the source like that until it at least started to get a bit hipper. and looking back, you can thank BENZINO for that.

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
THE OFFICIAL 5 MIC SOURCE HISTORY

22916_o6pyqrvyrw3ne_al.jpg

Albums that originally received five mics:

Albums that were not rated upon their releases, but were later rated five mics in 2002:

Albums that originally received 4.5 mics, and were later re-rated to five:

Albums that originally received four mics, and were later re-rated to five:

They never gave Get Rich or Die Tryin' 5 mics?:what:

I'm a 90s baby so I can't talk about them 90s albums but GRODT's impact was incredible

Techniec

Drugs and Kalashnikovs
Daps
Reppin
W/S 416
E1999, AEOM, Makaveli were glaring ommissions

Also Uncle SAms Curse should've been there over Living like Hustlers

And The Diary should've been there over Mr Scarface is Back

Daps
Reppin
NULL
the pic in the 1st post wasnt there originally.

OP accidentally left makaveli off the list he typed.

youre right. i just peeped how they had 3rd bass listed under the Ts.

also, when you posted the pic, i noticed that they had makaveli up there. you mustve skipped over it when you typed it out. lol. you caused a ruckus.

with that said, pac has 2 albums up here. not mad that he didnt get 3, altho they prolly only kept AEOM off because biggie only had 2 on the list.

ehh. in fairness, all coasts seem to do the same thing. youre kinda doing it here.

i was rockin with this post until you tried to put dogg food in the same sentence as reasonable doubt.

dogg food is great but its not on that reasonable doubt level.

Like you said, it's a coastal thing.On the west coast, in the mid to late 90's, it was Dogg Food>>>Reasonable Doubt..by a country mile.If Jay was from Oakland, I doubt RD would've ever made the list.NY is the hip hop (media) epicenter of the world.Whatever they say gets etched in stone.No other coast has that type of power, so it's up to them to be fair and objective when it comes to doing these types of rankings.

No coast can match that east coast pomposity.It's like the white privilege of hip hop.

When you react to it and call out the lack of recognition for other coast, you might get accused of "reverse racism"....even though you don't have the power to truly execute your "racism" like they do.

I'm not trying to be on some anti east coast shyt.I bow my head in respect because they're the originators.I understand why it happens, but when people try to act like the bias doesn't exist, that's what leaves me :mindblown:

Pazzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
technically jay was a platinum artist before nas

"aint no nikka" single went platinum before nas had a platinum single or album

but im assuming you didnt know that and will now change it to "oh i meant albums only"

:laff: this is news? you're the FIRST dude that i've ever say that. that single NEVER went platnium, fam.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
The most "influential albu" of them all is unquestionably Boogie Down Productions-Criminal Minded
At the time no one at the time was rapping like this or had such hard hitting beats and lyrics

:usure:

images

:stopitslime:
Southernplayalistic was on the picture - but not on the list (I'm updating the OP as I catch the mistakes).
@Wacky D - thoughts? :mjpls:

i already said spcm was a classic and might be in my top 100. and spcm was on the original list that you pasted.

atliens is the one that was taken off.........and nah, that album is nowhere near my top 100.

They never gave Get Rich or Die Tryin' 5 mics?:what:

I'm a 90s baby so I can't talk about them 90s albums but GRODT's impact was incredible

grodt doesnt deserve 5 mics breh.

classic impact no doubt. but the actual music was never of 5 mic quality.

but hey, theres quite a few albums that got 5 mics that arent as good as GRODT so its whatever.

E1999, AEOM, Makaveli were glaring ommissions

Also Uncle SAms Curse should've been there over Living like Hustlers

And The Diary should've been there over Mr Scarface is Back

the original list was tampered with.

makaveli is indeed on there.

Like you said, it's a coastal thing.On the west coast, in the mid to late 90's, it was Dogg Food>>>Reasonable Doubt..by a country mile.If Jay was from Oakland, I doubt RD would've ever made the list.NY is the hip hop (media) epicenter of the world.Whatever they say gets etched in stone.No other coast has that type of power, so it's up to them to be fair and objective when it comes to doing these types of rankings.

No coast can match that east coast pomposity.It's like the white privilege of hip hop.

When you react to it and call out the lack of recognition for other coast, you might get accused of "reverse racism"....even though you don't have the power to truly execute your "racism" like they do.

I'm not trying to be on some anti east coast shyt.I bow my head in respect because they're the originators.I understand why it happens, but when people try to act like the bias doesn't exist, that's what leaves me :mindblown:

ehh. if jay dropped reasonable doubt via oakland, and stayed on that path, the album would still be held in high regard. the same way they have souls of mischief & pharcyde up there. the bias with these writers is moreso stylistic, rather than coastal. its just that the stylistic bias stems from the east coast. these writers dont REALLY be reppin the east coast. they dont pump up the stuff thats REALLY poppin up here half the time.

coastal bias exists too. but its not the same as writer bias. theres similarities between the two tho.

well reverse-racism isnt even possible. reverse-prejudice is the better term to compare to the reverse-bias that exists in hip-hop. and it does exist. comparing dogg pound to reasonable doubt is an example of that breh. dogg food isnt on the level. a west coast album that better compares to RD is something like "straight outta compton" or "amerikkkas most wanted". something of that ilk. that top 20-30 tier.

Last edited:

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
grodt doesnt deserve 5 mics breh.

classic impact no doubt. but the actual music was never of 5 mic quality.

but hey, theres quite a few albums that got 5 mics that arent as good as GRODT so its whatever.
That's fair:ehh:

I remember Marshall Mathers LP not gettin 5 mics too, which I thought was crazy...

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
That's fair:ehh:

I remember Marshall Mathers LP not gettin 5 mics too, which I thought was crazy...

mmlp was just a regular ass album with a bunch of hype behind it. something that stayed in your rotation for no more than a couple weeks back then, if you even had it in rotation at all. i recall it getting 3 1/2 mics and that rating was right on the money.

at least with 50 cent, his album was no worse than 4 mic quality and he had the whole game in a headlock with his impact. i forgot what the source gave him tho.

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
mmlp was just a regular ass album with a bunch of hype behind it. something that stayed in your rotation for no more than a couple weeks back then, if you even had it in rotation at all. i recall it getting 3 1/2 mics and that rating was right on the money.

at least with 50 cent, his album was no worse than 4 mic quality and he had the whole game in a headlock with his impact. i forgot what the source gave him tho.
I think Source gave him a 4 or 4.5

spencerforhire

All Star
Daps
If you got time - can you post some of the other lists? I think there was best verse and most underrated albums too.

I'll look for the issue. The pic I posted was actually one large sheet that had all Source covers on the backside. Like one of those mini posters you can tear off from the mags.

Off the top...I remember the most slept on/ underrated albums were:

1. Nas - illmatic
2. Organized Konfusion - stress extension level agenda
3. Group home - the first album

If I still have it I'll post it.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Maaaaan...

Can we talk about this "East Coast bias" theory nikkas have about not only this list, but the Source in general?

Now... nikkas talkin' about this list is biased against the West Coast. With 2 Pac albums, 2 Cube albums, 2 NWA albums, Eazy, The Chronic, Doggystyle, DJ Quik, Too Short, Ice-T, Digital Underground, Spice 1, Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, Above the Law, DOC, Cypress Hill... where's the bias at? Was there some incredible Mack 10 or Tone Loc or 3.5.7. album they snubbed? :heh:

Even the shyt with the ratings... nikkas wanna talk about The Chronic and Doggystyle not gettin' 5, like the NY classics of that same era didn't get 4.5's too. The only one that didn't was Illmatic. All them other shyts- 36 Chambers, Ready to Die, Cuban Linx, Infamous, Enta Da Stage, etc... they didn't get a 5 either, so where's the bias?

That West Coast inferiority complex shyt is annoying after a while man... especially cause The Source actually got CRITICIZED by East Coast readers for "dikkridin' the West" damn near every month. Between '93-'96, the Source showed so much love to Death Row in particular that nikkas COMPLAINED about it. I'm talkin' XXL/G-Unit level. I'm just tryin' to give nikkas some perspective instead of these screenshots that get used as "evidence" that they were somehow hatin' on Cali. If ANYBODY has a right to complain of bein' snubbed in the Source, it wouldn't be Cali. It'd be the South, cause there wasn't a lot of coverage on Southern artists that weren't Outkast, Scarface, or Master P. Suave House n all that shyt didn't get massive coverage. There's no great UGK review to speak of. There's no article tellin' us how dope the Odd Squad was, or saying Three 6 was on the come-up...none of that. So all that shyt about how the West didn't get props from the Source is :duck: at best.