EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

vampire xtc

The E-Legend
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
"He's the DJ, I'm the rapper" is a Classic album bro. That album was the 1st rap album I actually owned and played on tape. All the other rap music I heard was from my Dad and older brothers but I had the tape in my room of that record and wore it out. People be acting like Will and Jazzy didn't drop Classic songs:

hesthedjtl2.jpg

because dudes now a days think if your a rapper you can only rap about robbin and bodyin dudes and gettin high

anything else is wack and gay to these dudes

some of the best hip hop albums of all time DONT fit that criteria at all

FiveShoTz

(Bernie Mac Voice)
Daps
Reppin
NY+NJ
But we talkin PAC here breh.. I'm not even a PAC fan like that but his impact on hip hop music is only rivaled by big and maybe jay.. But I could live wit 2 ll albums and removing dat fugees album

LL 3 Albums were classic

Pac wasnt immortalized yet in 98, your nobody till somebody kills u

Change

All Star
Daps
You :ufdup: with that Fresh Prince comment. 1st two albums are classic.

I saw two people say they haven't heard the Chill Rob G album. You need to get on that. Great great great album. Chill Rob is an acquired taste though.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
i can see someone saying Tribe's debut is overrated it's on the edge of that style change between 90-92 the loops changing to more chops & more programming your own drums. De La's 1st album is fukking pure super classic IMO

darn near the whole album was just q-tip.:scusthov: and the album is mad doofy.

i could never really get into de la soul at all. i started rockin with them a lil bit more in '96. theyre like the only group that got better when they were :flabbynsick:.

literally :flabbynsick:

Last edited:

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Sign of the times really.
Keep in mind for the 150 issue they went back and re-mic'd a bunch of records and added more that were released before the source came.
I wouldnt expect IWW to be on here cause of the perception of that record at the time.

Just goes to show how classics get viewed over time

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Looking back, I was always suprised people thought the Source had heavy NY Bias, because I thought they did a good job profiling and rating southern and west coast acts, it was just NY was making good and strong music in the mid 90s. I can get why regional folks were mad but like Outkast was still getting high profile notice, Cube and Death Row were too. In fairness, NY acts at the time were just as strong.
Just thought Rap Pages was more locally biased for the west coast but it all depends on perspective

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
at a glance i'm striking these records from the list:

Creepin' On Ah Come Up
Digable Planets
Paul's Boutique
Black Sunday
The Score
Livin' Large
He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper
OG Original Gangster
Naughty By Nature
Do You Want More???
Illadelph Halflife
Saturday Night:The Album
Born To Mack
Spice 1

Juggalo Fred

Juggalo and horrorcore enthusiast
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Juggalo island
3 ll cool j albums but just 1 PAC album?? The blatant east coast bias in the writing staff was just :scust: pretty much explains y the xxl take over was so easy.. Much better well rounded mag.. All ways covered wat was hott no matter the artist location.. fukk this list link the xxl top 100 for real debate

i have a 1999 source mag that once refers to the St lunatics as "the mid west wu tang"

fukk the source

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Can y'all read?
There's like 10 people in this thread claiming there's only one Pac album... and there are two. Makaveli album is on the list.

the pic in the 1st post wasnt there originally.

OP accidentally left makaveli off the list he typed.

The list was in alphabetical order. I don't remember if they called him 2pac or Tupac - I just cut and pasted something I found online. I don't think there was any intent to hide it though. I don't remember it being particularly controversial at the time either.

youre right. i just peeped how they had 3rd bass listed under the Ts.

also, when you posted the pic, i noticed that they had makaveli up there. you mustve skipped over it when you typed it out. lol. you caused a ruckus.

with that said, pac has 2 albums up here. not mad that he didnt get 3, altho they prolly only kept AEOM off because biggie only had 2 on the list.

When it comes to The Source
Good east coast album>>>>Great west coast album
Not hating on RD, I think that's Jay's best album, but at the time, a west coast album like Dogg Food was getting more play.

ehh. in fairness, all coasts seem to do the same thing. youre kinda doing it here.

i was rockin with this post until you tried to put dogg food in the same sentence as reasonable doubt.

dogg food is great but its not on that reasonable doubt level.