EDIT: SOURCE MAGAZINE BIAS PROVEN TO BE MYTH - Source Top 100 Albums list

vampire xtc

The E-Legend
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Maaaaan...

Can we talk about this "East Coast bias" theory nikkas have about not only this list, but the Source in general?

Now... nikkas talkin' about this list is biased against the West Coast. With 2 Pac albums, 2 Cube albums, 2 NWA albums, Eazy, The Chronic, Doggystyle, DJ Quik, Too Short, Ice-T, Digital Underground, Spice 1, Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, Above the Law, DOC, Cypress Hill... where's the bias at? Was there some incredible Mack 10 or Tone Loc or 3.5.7. album they snubbed? :heh:

Even the shyt with the ratings... nikkas wanna talk about The Chronic and Doggystyle not gettin' 5, like the NY classics of that same era didn't get 4.5's too. The only one that didn't was Illmatic. All them other shyts- 36 Chambers, Ready to Die, Cuban Linx, Infamous, Enta Da Stage, etc... they didn't get a 5 either, so where's the bias?

That West Coast inferiority complex shyt is annoying after a while man... especially cause The Source actually got CRITICIZED by East Coast readers for "dikkridin' the West" damn near every month. Between '93-'96, the Source showed so much love to Death Row in particular that nikkas COMPLAINED about it. I'm talkin' XXL/G-Unit level. I'm just tryin' to give nikkas some perspective instead of these screenshots that get used as "evidence" that they were somehow hatin' on Cali. If ANYBODY has a right to complain of bein' snubbed in the Source, it wouldn't be Cali. It'd be the South, cause there wasn't a lot of coverage on Southern artists that weren't Outkast, Scarface, or Master P. Suave House n all that shyt didn't get massive coverage. There's no great UGK review to speak of. There's no article tellin' us how dope the Odd Squad was, or saying Three 6 was on the come-up...none of that. So all that shyt about how the West didn't get props from the Source is :duck: at best.

ya goytta realize the bolded part 99% of these dudes didnt know most of those were west coast acts

$5 says mad heads figured cypress hill was based outta cypress hill new york lol

and people associate digital underground with the east because of 2pac being a member who was from the east

souls people think southern etc..

problem is people wanna see top 100 list with the entire 2pac discography on it and shyt lol

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
theres definitely a bias there.

it may not be exactly as bad as some people make it out to be. but lets not pretend that it doesnt exist either.

vampire xtc

The E-Legend
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

it may not be exactly as bad as some people make it out to be. but lets not pretend that it doesnt exist either.

but whats the bias?

based on the year this list was compiled to THAT point?

like what 20 of the 100 are westcoast albums

thats 1/5th of the list lol

what westcoast albums should be on there?

then before you answer what eastcoast or southern albums should be on there?

because everyone is snubbed all around

plus realistically majority of the 80's it was just eastcoast artists doin anything especially in the beginning

so to be fair you can say "the east like a good 7-8 year head start/advantage"

that i cant be mad at

but then that would make it fair not a bias

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Maaaaan...

Can we talk about this "East Coast bias" theory nikkas have about not only this list, but the Source in general?

Now... nikkas talkin' about this list is biased against the West Coast. With 2 Pac albums, 2 Cube albums, 2 NWA albums, Eazy, The Chronic, Doggystyle, DJ Quik, Too Short, Ice-T, Digital Underground, Spice 1, Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, Above the Law, DOC, Cypress Hill... where's the bias at? Was there some incredible Mack 10 or Tone Loc or 3.5.7. album they snubbed? :heh:

Even the shyt with the ratings... nikkas wanna talk about The Chronic and Doggystyle not gettin' 5, like the NY classics of that same era didn't get 4.5's too. The only one that didn't was Illmatic. All them other shyts- 36 Chambers, Ready to Die, Cuban Linx, Infamous, Enta Da Stage, etc... they didn't get a 5 either, so where's the bias?

That West Coast inferiority complex shyt is annoying after a while man... especially cause The Source actually got CRITICIZED by East Coast readers for "dikkridin' the West" damn near every month. Between '93-'96, the Source showed so much love to Death Row in particular that nikkas COMPLAINED about it. I'm talkin' XXL/G-Unit level. I'm just tryin' to give nikkas some perspective instead of these screenshots that get used as "evidence" that they were somehow hatin' on Cali. If ANYBODY has a right to complain of bein' snubbed in the Source, it wouldn't be Cali. It'd be the South, cause there wasn't a lot of coverage on Southern artists that weren't Outkast, Scarface, or Master P. Suave House n all that shyt didn't get massive coverage. There's no great UGK review to speak of. There's no article tellin' us how dope the Odd Squad was, or saying Three 6 was on the come-up...none of that. So all that shyt about how the West didn't get props from the Source is :duck: at best.
:salute:
I've been pointing this out all thread.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

Bias, why? Because they didn't dikk-suck Pac's catalogue?

If you read the Source back then... cause that Benzino-dominated era was when the mag went to shyt, Wacky, and you know that... then you know the Source showed love to artists from the West that a "biased" mag never would have. A magazine that was all about proppin' New York and shyttin' on anybody else woulda never bigged up nikkas like E-40, who has never amassed an East Coast following. Or even a legend like Too Short who sold records almost everywhere BUT New York.

And obviously a staff made up of mostly New Yorkers (in the beginning at least) who grew up in the era where 90% of rap was NY would STYLISTICALLY connect more to music of that vein... but I still don't see where they showed some type of prejudice towards Cali's music. nikkas like Eazy, Too Short, Quik, Eiht... they weren't out there bustin' no lyrical gymnastics over breakbeats on some Kool G Rap/Kane shyt- yet they managed to get props for their shyt. Nobody ever asks what ratings were given to NY acts... I don't think Onyx ever got anything over a 3.5, GangStarr took forever to get a 4, Chuck D actually wrote a letter condemning them for giving PE's shyt low ratings... just sayin'...

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
but whats the bias?

based on the year this list was compiled to THAT point?

like what 20 of the 100 are westcoast albums

thats 1/5th of the list lol

what westcoast albums should be on there?

then before you answer what eastcoast or southern albums should be on there?

because everyone is snubbed all around

plus realistically majority of the 80's it was just eastcoast artists doin anything especially in the beginning

so to be fair you can say "the east like a good 7-8 year head start/advantage"

that i cant be mad at

but then that would make it fair not a bias

i dont have a problem with the west coast distribution of albums there actually. there are definitely more that i wouldve added before some of these other albums tho. and the ommission of AEOM is lame. and bone too, if you want to group them with the west in this topic.

but the fact that this list is just in alphabetical order, leaves little room for complaints so thats not saying much.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Bias, why? Because they didn't dikk-suck Pac's catalogue?

If you read the Source back then... cause that Benzino-dominated era was when the mag went to shyt, Wacky, and you know that... then you know the Source showed love to artists from the West that a "biased" mag never would have. A magazine that was all about proppin' New York and shyttin' on anybody else woulda never bigged up nikkas like E-40, who has never amassed an East Coast following. Or even a legend like Too Short who sold records almost everywhere BUT New York.

And obviously a staff made up of mostly New Yorkers (in the beginning at least) who grew up in the era where 90% of rap was NY would STYLISTICALLY connect more to music of that vein... but I still don't see where they showed some type of prejudice towards Cali's music. nikkas like Eazy, Too Short, Quik, Eiht... they weren't out there bustin' no lyrical gymnastics over breakbeats on some Kool G Rap/Kane shyt- yet they managed to get props for their shyt. Nobody ever asks what ratings were given to NY acts... I don't think Onyx ever got anything over a 3.5, GangStarr took forever to get a 4, Chuck D actually wrote a letter condemning them for giving PE's shyt low ratings... just sayin'...

before i respond, when exactly did the benzino-dominated era begin?

may i add that im clearly playing both sides of the fence here, as evidenced by my initial post on this sub-topic. like i said, the bias isnt as bad as some people make it out to be. but some of yall are in denial about its existence.

also, ive already made it clear on my stance that the bias is more stylistic than coastal.

youre debating me about arguments that arent even mine.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
:usure:

images

i already said spcm was a classic and might be in my top 100. and spcm was on the original list that you pasted.

atliens is the one that was taken off.........and nah, that album is nowhere near my top 100.

grodt doesnt deserve 5 mics breh.

classic impact no doubt. but the actual music was never of 5 mic quality.

but hey, theres quite a few albums that got 5 mics that arent as good as GRODT so its whatever.

the original list was tampered with.

makaveli is indeed on there.

ehh. if jay dropped reasonable doubt via oakland, and stayed on that path, the album would still be held in high regard. the same way they have souls of mischief & pharcyde up there. the bias with these writers is moreso stylistic, rather than coastal. its just that the stylistic bias stems from the east coast. these writers dont REALLY be reppin the east coast. they dont pump up the stuff thats REALLY poppin up here half the time.

coastal bias exists too. but its not the same as writer bias. theres similarities between the two tho.

well reverse-racism isnt even possible. reverse-prejudice is the better term to compare to the reverse-bias that exists in hip-hop. and it does exist. comparing dogg pound to reasonable doubt is an example of that breh. dogg food isnt on the level. a west coast album that better compares to RD is something like "straight outta compton" or "amerikkkas most wanted". something of that ilk. that top 20-30 tier.

You're comparing the modern consensus of RD to what the consensus was in '96.

Nobody put it on the level of Amerikkkas Most back then.Not only that, you could make the argument that Dogg Pound was held in higher regard back then.

This list was made in '98...during that time, Dogg Food was definitely fukking with RD.Because Jay went on to become one of the top 5 MC's of all time(in terms of popularity), people looked back in retrospect, and started calling RD a classic.

I can see why they did it, though.'98 was the year Jay blew up.They was thirsty for the next "King of NY" and Jay was the pefect prospect.Boys with B.I.G...similar slick style of rapping---I think they decided to throw him a bone.

I wasn't using reverse racism as a literal term, but as an analogy to the "white privilege" that is east coast media bias.

All i'm saying is, if you created a public poll in '98 asking "RD or Dogg Food?" At the time, I'd be shocked if Dogg Food lost.During that stretch('96-'98) Dogg Food outsold/was a more popular album.

RD was lukewarm.Like I said, if Jay was from Oakland, RD wouldn't have been on the list.He wouldn't have gotten the benefit of the doubt.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
before i respond, when exactly did the benzino-dominated era begin?

may i add that im clearly playing both sides of the fence here, as evidenced by my initial post on this sub-topic. like i said, the bias isnt as bad as some people make it out to be. but some of yall are in denial about its existence.

also, ive already made it clear on my stance that the bias is more stylistic than coastal.

youre debating me about arguments that arent even mine.

You been sayin' all thru the thread they're "biased"... how's it not your argument? :russ: That's why I added the part about a stylistic bias, and even in that case, that wouldn't explain how they praised the fukk outta dudes like Too Short and Quik. I've never listened to a song by them expecting to hear some Rakim-level shyt... totally different thing...

The Benzino-dominated era is when he started doin' that power-abusing shyt like the 4.5 for Made Men... and then puttin' himself on the cover like somebody was gonna buy that... and then making the whole mag a glorified tabloid with the anti-Aftermath articles, puttin nikkas on the cover that werent even in the actual articles, pushin' the Benzino agenda, all that kinda shyt. I can't say it was trash when he did that ratings bullshyt ('99), but that was the start... around '02 until he got moved out tho'? Trash.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
You're comparing the modern consensus of RD to what the consensus was in '96.

Nobody put it on the level of Amerikkkas Most back then.Not only that, you could make the argument that Dogg Pound was held in higher regard back then.

This list was made in '98...during that time, Dogg Food was definitely fukking with RD.Because Jay went on to become one of the top 5 MC's of all time(in terms of popularity), people looked back in retrospect, and started calling RD a classic.

I can see why they did it, though.'98 was the year Jay blew up.They was thirsty for the next "King of NY" and Jay was the pefect prospect.Boys with B.I.G...similar slick style of rapping---I think they decided to throw him a bone.

I wasn't using reverse racism as a literal term, but as an analogy to the "white privilege" that is east coast media bias.

All i'm saying is, if you created a public poll in '98 asking "RD or Dogg Food?" At the time, I'd be shocked if Dogg Food lost.During that stretch('96-'98) Dogg Food outsold/was a more popular album.

RD was lukewarm.Like I said, if Jay was from Oakland, RD wouldn't have been on the list.He wouldn't have gotten the benefit of the doubt.

Nah.

Here's why...

Because just like I was saying, in '96, shyt like AEOM and IWW were fan favorites but got mixed reviews from the critics... now RD was the other way around. It got a lil' burn from the casual fans (just a lil'), the serious hip-hop heads fukked with it... but most of all it was a critic's favorite. RD was an album I saw get props in The Source, Vibe, Rap Pages, whoever-the-fukk... they thought the album was great. Jay got rhymes of the month and all types of shyt. And rightfully, it was a great album. It wasn't that album you'd throw on at a get-together/party like AEOM was, it wasn't that album with high anticipation and sales to match like IWW was, but it was always critically-acclaimed. So that translates to it being included in this list, cause the Source always CONSISTENTLY gave it props, even when BIG was alive. You can go back to their '96 year in review issue, or even back to when the album was reviewed that summer. They didn't try to give it a 5 off-top or anything like that, but it was very clear way before he became the multi-platinum star that they were feelin' RD.

Last edited:

vampire xtc

The E-Legend
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
i dont have a problem with the west coast distribution of albums there actually. there are definitely more that i wouldve added before some of these other albums tho. and the ommission of AEOM is lame. and bone too, if you want to group them with the west in this topic.

but the fact that this list is just in alphabetical order, leaves little room for complaints so thats not saying much.

again this was printed in 98

makaveli and AEOM if i recall dropped in the same year of 96

and back then makaveli was always held in higher regard for whatever reason

plus a lot of albums hit the cuttin room floor

i mean mobb deep hell on earth is not on this list

really? lol

so you know they had well over 100 and had to make cuts

and honestly based on album and impact etc... i gotta cut AEOM for makavel and me against the world

some might cut me against for AEOM depends on the person really

but again he has 2 albums on the top 100 of all time

think about this

jay only has 1 and in 98 he should have had RD and vol 2 to be real but vol 2 dropped september 98 so kinda late for that entry to be fair

nas has 1 and again should be 2 with illmatic and IWW to be real

mobb deep same thing

bone same thing

etc..

so if you look at the list 2pac is among the ELITE acts with 2 or more albums on the list

its tough to eliminate down to a top 100 list of all time for any genere

feelings will be hurt with what hits the cutting floor

vampire xtc

The E-Legend
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Nah.

Here's why...

Because just like I was saying, in '96, shyt like AEOM and IWW were fan favorites but got mixed reviews from the critics... now RD was the other way around. It got a lil' burn from the casual fans (just a lil'), the serious hip-hop heads fukked with it... but most of all it was a critic's favorite. RD was an album I saw get props in The Source, Vibe, Rap Pages, whoever-the-fukk... they thought the album was great. Jay got rhymes of the month and all types of shyt. And rightfully, it was a great album. It wasn't that album you'd throw on at a get-together/party like AEOM was, it wasn't that album with high anticipation and sales to match like IWW was, but it was always critically-acclaimed. So that translates to it being included in this list, cause the Source always CONSISTENTLY gave it props, even when BIG was alive. You can go back to their '96 year in review issue, or even back to when the album was reviewed that summer. They didn't try to give it a 5 off-top or anything like that, but it was very clear way before he became the multi-platinum star that they were feelin' RD.

yea RD was very highly regarded when it dropped by many just not on a mainstream level

as funny as it sounds to say it now the album was HUGE on the underground

"aint no nikka" brought the mainstream attention to it and after that "cant knock the hustle" and "brooklyns finest" caught fire

but ironically "dead presidents" was a big record in the club scene back then which by todays standards is nothing close to a club record but this was back then lol

my thing is i dont get why people act like RD is some bum shyt lol

i mean wanna compare?

check this out

RD first week sales

First Week Album Sales: 43,000

meager right?

illmatic first week sales

First Week Album Sales: 59,000

ready to die first week album sales

First Week Album Sales: 57,000

funny how all 3 of them had weak first week sales of their debut albums

but only RD was a slouch album no one cared for right?

lol

RegB

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Funcrusher Plus, The Sun Rises in the East, Life Is...Too $hort, Ain't a Damn Thing Changed are some of the snubs I can think of off the top of my head.. Funcrusher Plus is slept on to this day so im not surprised about that one but idk how the other three were viewed back in those days..

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
This list was published in January of 1998. To me, this was the perfect time to list the top 100 albums of all time, as Hip-Hop had just gone off the cliff and not much classic material has been made since then....

Five star thread. I would have add off the top of my head Blueprint, GRODT, Stankonia, Lord Willin', In Search of (Neptunes, and yes its hiphop), and I know the purists gon' hate on me for sayin' this, but that Thug Motivation 101 :banderas: The only one I'd take off the list is Salt N Pepa :scusthov: