All Star
Daps
2le486g.jpg

mr x

Superstar
Daps
technically jay was a platinum artist before nas

"aint no nikka" single went platinum before nas had a platinum single or album

but im assuming you didnt know that and will now change it to "oh i meant albums only"

but nas was the first rapper to bring a platinum plaque back to the projects:myman:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
along with Hold Down The Fort you had

Premo!!

I can understand for those who heard their debut after the other albums that followed not feeling it as much but in 92/93 they were putting out the hardest sh1t when it came to so called kiddie rap along with Da Youngstas 2nd album.

in this era,...
hit it from the back hampered their cultural connection.
as the box marketed it along with the type of music in content it had similarities to.
which at that time was:

LUKE : I WANNA ROCK

where this vid, was i wanna say put on the same buy it now commercial.
as i wanna rock and doo doo brown were, if i remember right.
if it was not on the check it out marketing.
it ranked damn near right behind or was the next rap spot behind the usual number one ranking of i wanna rock or doo doo brown.

illegal, had that cultural connection in scope and marketing.
while being connected to epmd.
while, alternatively:

wascals : the originals who were to dope. completely unheralded and they were that shyt.

whooligans : cypress's kid group

plus, fam-lee [jmj's the boys meets umc's as a rap group] were also a bit more charismatic for kids fueled rap.

i fukked with this single, hardbody..

plus, they also, had more light than mobb deep.

funny thing is,....souls of mischief were viewed as adults.
from burnt being one of the best posse cut bsides ever.
then, the subsequent long burn run of that's when ya lost.
was highly anticipated for after burnt dropped.
i wanna say souls, mobb, wascals, were all closer in actual age.
although, i think souls was taken as more adult because of the classic status of burnt and that's when ya lost.
so, it was like they graduated to adulthood from perfect execution of their records and features.
whereas the other groups had records.
that were not as prolific, in adult content or perception because of lower quality, and lack of cultural connection.

as the other groups.
had boy band meets hardcore rap group oversensationalized stylings and content.
or, in the case of the wascals...
they were not marketed as well as leaders were on delicious vinyl.
to get that segueway as the clamp pedigree'd leaders were.

yet, content wise you would think souls of mischief.
or, even leaders of the newschool as well.
who, shared similar content to wascals
was considerably older than mobb, illegal and fam-lee.
shyt most would think nas was that much considerably older on live at the bbq, too.

back then,...if you had questionable lack of cultural connection in content and were young.
you could have been made a kid group.
yet, guys who had a firmer grasp culturally who were the same age were considered an adult drawing artist.

art barr

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
A couple of y'all played yourselves in this thread tho'...

Peep the list again, "they hatin' on Pac!!!!!" guys... there ARE two Pac albums.

Get it? 2... Pac albums.

And the only two that had a place in a top 100 at that time- 7 Day Theory and Me Against the World (again, factor in the mixed reviews for AEOM when it came out).

Bias schmias.

And no, Juvenile Hell did not belong anywhere near this list. It wasn't even a top 25 album of 1993 for cryin' out loud.

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore

This list is damn near perfect, considering the time. Sure, everybody has some they'd throw in or take out (myself included) but most of these are pretty damn hard to argue with.

but let's wait... "no 'I Ain't Mad At Cha'? Man, fukk them!!!"

vampire xtc

The E-Legend
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
People thought Tical was disappointing when it dropped.

basically

it had incredibly strong singles thankfully

irony is the singles were the best cuts on the album

now a day people call tical a classic just because its old and has some classic songs

but methodman really presented just an ok album to be honest

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
basically

it had incredibly strong singles thankfully

irony is the singles were the best cuts on the album

now a day people call tical a classic just because its old and has some classic songs

but methodman really presented just an ok album to be honest

Yep. And even he himself said it was the weakest of that first wave of solo Wu joints.

It was a good album that didn't turn the world on its ear like everybody thought it would but it did deliver in showcasing Meth's talent. Could've been better tho'. That was a pretty unanimous opinion.

vampire xtc

The E-Legend
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Actually it didn't. "Ain't No nikka" was a b-side of "Dead Presidents", it went Gold. They did press up a solo "Ain't no N!gga" single, I had that two but it didn't move units like the "Dead Presidents" single did. Yes Jay had a certified plaque before NaS did so that's true. But NaS did go Platinum 1st. NaS's 1st certified plaque was the "Street Dreams" single.

220px-Jay-ZAintNoPlaya.jpg

(Ain't No N!gga was released After it was featured on the "Nutty Professor Soundtrack" and "Dead Presidents" Single but it was never certified as a single).

220px-Jay-ZDeadPresidents.jpg

(The original Dead Presidents single had "Ain't no N!gga" which helped it to give Jay Z his 1st certified Plaque)

aint no nikka was the flip side to dead presidents maxi single i remember

but there was also a white label pressing on vinyl for aint no nikka

this was BEFORE the def jam deal where jay was signed to priority/freeze(same with the maxi single)

defjam LATER pressed up and released aint no nikka as a single and placed it on nutty proffessor soundtrack since that was a defjam soundtrack on

june 4th 1996

defjam version single released march 19th 1996

the ORIGINAL maxi single dropped august 1995 with dead presidents and aint no on the b side

aint no got buzz so they white labeled aint no nikka which was common practice back then to cut the label out the profits lol

but shot the video on priority/freeze for ONLY dead presidents

aint no caught fire leading to the defjam deal

and well we know the rest lol

but defjam definitely repackaged aint no nikka as if it was brand new when it was out for several months

vampire xtc

The E-Legend
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Yep. And even he himself said it was the weakest of that first wave of solo Wu joints.

It was a good album that didn't turn the world on its ear like everybody thought it would but it did deliver in showcasing Meth's talent. Could've been better tho'. That was a pretty unanimous opinion.

well to be fair when "bring the pain" dropped

new york stood still

that was the number 1 songs on every count down all day

hot 97 4pm hosted THEN by paco lopez(pre angie and wendy) or as he would say it pacoooooooooooo lopez lol it was cemented as the number 1 song and also on the top 5 at 9pm

people were tight also because they pressed the vinyl BEFORE the single was available for purchase like literally 2 months before lol

had meth with his skinny ass legs showin on it lol

the irony lookin back is the all i need remix

the remix that blew up and sold was the puffy remix NOT the rza(video version) remix oddly enough but even today the puff remix gets tossed behind the bushes for some strange reason

and of course release yo delf was dope as hell even the video

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
well to be fair when "bring the pain" dropped

new york stood still

that was the number 1 songs on every count down all day

hot 97 4pm hosted THEN by paco lopez(pre angie and wendy) or as he would say it pacoooooooooooo lopez lol it was cemented as the number 1 song and also on the top 5 at 9pm

people were tight also because they pressed the vinyl BEFORE the single was available for purchase like literally 2 months before lol

had meth with his skinny ass legs showin on it lol

the irony lookin back is the all i need remix

the remix that blew up and sold was the puffy remix NOT the rza(video version) remix oddly enough but even today the puff remix gets tossed behind the bushes for some strange reason

and of course release yo delf was dope as hell even the video

Notice you're talkin' about the singles tho'... exactly.

And there were a couple other joints on the album that got some burn. But if you looked at '94 as a whole albums-wise... Tical falls behind a lot of 'em. It was cool. That's about it.

Not sure about the Puff version being tossed... I've seen that one get much better reactions even today than the RZA version. I actually haven't heard the RZA version anywhere except the video in some time.

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
Half though!
Have you heard all 100 albums?

Chill Rob G- Ride the Rythm
Doug E. Fresh- World's Greatest Entertainer

the only 2 i haven't listened to

i just had another look and it's funny that Creepin On Ah Come Up is on the list but E 1999 isn't.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
What are some of the lowest scores Source has given out? :lupe:

Off top I think I can remember Young Zee's Musical Meltdown getting a low score which caused it to be shelved (crazy because its dope to me :yeshrug:)

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
What are some of the lowest scores Source has given out? :lupe:

Off top I think I can remember Young Zee's Musical Meltdown getting a low score which caused it to be shelved (crazy because its dope to me :yeshrug:)

Young MC had an album called "Return of the 1 Hit Wonder" in 97... only time I ever saw an album get 1 mic.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
This list is as dated as I thought it would be. what's with the Fresh prince inclusion?:mjlol:

"He's the DJ, I'm the rapper" is a Classic album bro. That album was the 1st rap album I actually owned and played on tape. All the other rap music I heard was from my Dad and older brothers but I had the tape in my room of that record and wore it out. People be acting like Will and Jazzy didn't drop Classic songs:

hesthedjtl2.jpg