Early-season ratings decline continues for NFL (Update: Ratings plummeting((officially in free fall)

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
refs in the NFL AND NBA became dog sh!t at the same time in 2012. The NBA refs in the NBA in the 2012 playoffs and after that regular season football. Im like :dwillhuh: WTF just happened to my two favorite sports???

J-Fire

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I honestly think MOST people tune in more if there's "storylines" and characters, specifically the casual fan. This is why people like :skip: & :sas1: get paid the big bucks they do. They drive narratives and create "characters" out of players. Even as much of a sports fan as I am, I really can't watch 2 teams play unless I have some sort of "story" to follow. A player or something.

High school and college the "story" is usually hometown or regional pride. You don't even need to know the players, the school name on the jerseys is storyline enough.

NFL teams rep cities/regions too. :stopitslime:

All the east coast, west coast & upper Midwest people are passionate about NFL. South only cares about college football.

Last edited:

Tha_Mac

and this is Life As Tha Mac
Daps
Brehs really prefer those 77-9 scores :scust:

On Saturday there are like 5 different games on at a time. At least 2 of those 5 are gonna be great games while sometimes all 5 are. NFL just doesn't have enuff variety of games on imo. And I like the uptempo attacks too instead of a play for 5-7 seconds then huddling up for 40 secs to a minute.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Slow but sure ...bad officiating, same teams at the top for decades...and oh yea CTE ....the league has about a decade left..maybe:wow:
At the gate sales remain the same. This Is about across the board drop in viewership as how games are watched change

Edub

Veteran
Daps
At the gate sales remain the same. This Is about across the board drop in viewership as how games are watched change
But do you think it goes up from here....or declines. The only way I see things going up from here is if the NFL or some outside source is able to develop a safety technology that cuts out cte exposure. Moms nationwide pullin kids from the tv to stop the desire to play. Football will always be here I think, but not with full contact, unless....

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
But do you think it goes up from here....or declines. The only way I see things going up from here is if the NFL or some outside source is able to develop a safety technology that cuts out cte exposure. Moms nationwide pullin kids from the tv to stop the desire to play. Football will always be here I think, but not with full contact, unless....
Maybe you need to stop the agenda of making this an NFL only argument to now moving the goalposts different point.

I'm sticking to viewership numbers being skewed across the board of sports and all forms of televise based entertainment and you just want to end with "nfl.....fail" no matter what.

Put the agenda down

Daps
Yep, I remember Bob Costas pregame intros setting up the storylines for the games on NBC

You HAD to watch the game after watching that intro:russ:

The NBA during the early 90s was literally like Gladiators in the Roman Coliseaum. It was must watch tv and you couldn't afford to miss it. The introductions; the theme songs; the intensity on and off the court.
The product today is good now but it definitely feels more like theater than a Coliseaum battle

Edub

Veteran
Daps
Maybe you need to stop the agenda of making this an NFL only argument to now moving the goalposts different point.

I'm sticking to viewership numbers being skewed across the board of sports and all forms of televise based entertainment and you just want to end with "nfl.....fail" no matter what.

Put the agenda down
You say it's an agenda I'm on ...but it's a business truth. Dawg, I watch my bengals every Sunday Monday or Thursday ....I'm helping the NFL, I'm a viewer....but let's be reality here. The game has shown def. health consequences....the finances gathered at the gate will be the same, cuz most of them are your NFL diehards or core if you will. If the ratings are dropping its because the average fan is bailing ...the one who would just have it on as background or just cuz. Many of them being women with kids ain't tuning to it cuz of the health concern....beta males who don't hold the remote and have kids have to do what the wifey says to protect little Johnny. If a sport has been shown to be a gateway to mental instability or death even....why do you think mothers and fathers won't react ....no agenda fam, just biz sense. I hope they find some type of protection ....but if football weren't entrenched in education (highschool college)...it would be a wrap sooner.