Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Soooo we boycotting?

*cancels limited edition collectors bundle

russell-westbrook-basketball.gif

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Another n1gga begging for a hug. Jesus. Who cares.

Although, the medieval presence of the black man is well documented.

High Art

đź‘‘King of The Salonđź‘‘
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
The video raised some good points in reference to the game itself but his complaints about big strong black male characters seems all kinds of off and weird. Him referencing studies and referencing police shootings seems like a stretch because it sounds like he's drawing correlations without giving care to causation. In doing so, he's ignoring the issue of race in itself and the ideas behind that. It seems to suggest that the best way to combat racial animosity from whites is to portray black men as weak and servile, which makes zero sense to me and something I can't rock with. It puts the onus of dealing with a white person's racism on a black person instead of that white person being the one who should deal with that racism in itself. It also ignores the fact that black men dominate most forms of sports, where said "larger and stronger" brehs are on display for the world, which weakens his argument on that end even more. Moreover, with his focus on representation, and complaints about how black men are portrayed in general, it really obscures his point altogether. Some other things annoyed me but I'm willing to let those slide.

The game is racist and the reasons given by the producers are hogwash. The video shows that well however the video also has some serious flaws in its reasoning as it pertains to other things.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Industry needs more diverse developers. I dont think its a coincidence that Deathloop had 2 black playable characters who werent bogged down by racist dialogue or presentation, and the director of that game happened to be black:manny:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The video raised some good points in reference to the game itself but his complaints about big strong black male characters seems all kinds of off and weird. Him referencing studies and referencing police shootings seems like a stretch because it sounds like he's drawing correlations without giving care to causation. In doing so, he's ignoring the issue of race in itself and the ideas behind that. It seems to suggest that the best way to combat racial animosity from whites is to portray black men as weak and servile, which makes zero sense to me and something I can't rock with. It puts the onus of dealing with a white person's racism on a black person instead of that white person being the one who should deal with that racism in itself. It also ignores the fact that black men dominate most forms of sports, where said "larger and stronger" brehs are on display for the world, which weakens his argument on that end even more. Moreover, with his focus on representation, and complaints about how black men are portrayed in general, it really obscures his point altogether. Some other things annoyed me but I'm willing to let those slide.

The game is racist and the reasons given by the producers are hogwash. The video shows that well however the video also has some serious flaws in its reasoning as it pertains to other things.

it is because we don't need black chuds we just need more black main characters with deeper stories and more complex backgrounds.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

I didn't gather that at all from the video, as he never once stated or inferred that black characters "have to" be "weak and servile" or that they can't be strong. Just that there's been a heavy prevalance of those stereotypes being the ONLY versions of black male physicality being portrayed for a long time in gaming, which is true, as I'd been saying the same thing for like 25 years. It's only been like the last 5 or so where there's been a bit less of that. Obviously you can still have black characters be physically strong, but it doesn't have to always be to the extreme, which he showcased multiple instances as such, like with Barrett and the black guy from Hi-Fi Rush being insanely huge comparative to everyone else AND they were the sole black male representations in those games. Like most things, shyt like this is partially due to an imbalance issue.

And giving care to causation to correlation standpoint....Uh, what homie?:mjpls:

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Yup. Too many times the diversity "quota" and measure for a good black character typically is some docile, effeminate or even queer black character that isn't really intimidating and too often I see dudes thinking that's good. There's nothing wrong with a man, a black man being strong or tough. I don't care for soft spoken, "intelligent" archetypes to be the fill for black characters in gaming. We tend to overcorrect and play to the same white sensibilities in wanting to not appear "Like those other blacks :mjpls:" and instead get some homogenized negro character that's just boring and safe because we don't want to be too macho.

Last edited: