Dude states FFXVI sets back gaming 60 years with racism

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I didn't gather that at all from the video, as he never once stated or inferred that black characters "have to" be "weak and servile" or that they can't be strong. Just that there's been a heavy prevalance of those stereotypes being the ONLY versions of black male physicality being portrayed for a long time in gaming, which i strue, as I'd been saying the same thing for like 25 years. It's only been like the last 5 or so where there's been a bit less of that. Obviously you can still have black characters be physically strong, but it doesn't have to always be to the extreme, which he showcased multiple instances as such, like with Barrett and the black guy from Hi-Fi Rush being insanely huge comparative to everyone else AND they were the sole black male representations in those games. Like most things, shyt like this is partially due to an imbalance issue.

And giving care to causation to correlation standpoint....Uh, what homie?:mjpls:

Decapolice.jpg

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Yup. Too many times the diversity "quota" and measure for a good black character typically is some docile, effeminate or even queer black character that isn't really intimidating and too often I see dudes thinking that's good. There's nothing wrong with a man, a black man being strong or tough. I don't care for soft spoken, "intelligent" archetypes to be the fill for black characters in gaming.

I get that that's sometimes the "counter balance", but reality, it needs to be both and everything in between.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I get that that's sometimes the "counter balance", but reality, it needs to be both and everything in between.
Like if FFVII had two more black characters that were different from Barrett that would've been fine but when he's the only one with a gun on his arm it comes off as ridiculous. Might as well give the nikka a basketball jersey and a stereo attachment to complete the cypher. :mjlol:

High Art

đź‘‘King of The Salonđź‘‘
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
I didn't gather that at all from the video, as he never once stated or inferred that black characters "have to" be "weak and servile" or that they can't be strong. Just that there's been a heavy prevalance of those stereotypes being the ONLY versions of black male physicality being portrayed for a long time in gaming, which i strue, as I'd been saying the same thing for like 25 years. It's only been like the last 5 or so where there's been a bit less of that. Obviously you can still have black characters be physically strong, but it doesn't have to always be to the extreme, which he showcased multiple instances as such, like with Barrett and the black guy from Hi-Fi Rush being insanely huge comparative to everyone else AND they were the sole black male representations in those games. Like most things, shyt like this is partially due to an imbalance issue.

And giving care to causation to correlation standpoint....Uh, what homie?:mjpls:
I don't mind wanting more diversity of character in regards to black men but he brought up the study as one of his points and connected that to racism and police shootings. It made little sense to do so. In wanting more representation, he should note, as he did earlier, to the issue being there not being enough black people in these games. That said, I felt like it was a point he did not need to bring up since he did not go well enough into it and, as we all saw, he wasn't well equipped to comment on it (he could have done more to breakdown the stereotype then). His efforts to explain why it caused harm didn't make sense at all. Moreover, while I agree about his points about the Hi-Fi Rush character, the fact that he took exception to well proportioned characters as well, merely for being more fit looking than other characters, seemed odd, even more so when some of the other characters were also fit. Putting all these points together makes that aspect of his comments seem disingenuous to me.

it is because we don't need black chuds we just need more black main characters with deeper stories and more complex backgrounds.
I can agree with the bold but I still see no issue with black dudes in shape. As someone who would be seen as "in shape", seems weird to hear some guy they need less people who look like me while advocating for representation despite the fact that I'm black as well (I'm assuming the dude in the video is black).

High Art

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
Like if FFVII had two more black characters that were different from Barrett that would've been fine but when he's the only one with a gun on his arm it comes off as ridiculous. Might as well give the nikka a basketball jersey and a stereo attachment to complete the cypher. :mjlol:
Yeah, this is how I see it. I wish his point was more directed towards this point.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I don't mind wanting more diversity of character in regards to black men but he brought up the study as one of his points and connected that to racism and police shootings. It made little sense to do so. In wanting more representation, he should note, as he did earlier, to the issue being there not being enough black people in these games. That said, I felt like it was a point he did not need to bring up since he did not go well enough into it and, as we all saw, he wasn't well equipped to comment on it (he could have done more to breakdown the stereotype then). His efforts to explain why it caused harm didn't make sense at all. Moreover, while I agree about his points about the Hi-Fi Rush character, the fact that he took exception to well proportioned characters as well, merely for being more fit looking than other characters, seemed odd, even more so when some of the other characters were also fit. Putting all these points together makes that aspect of his comments seem disingenuous to me.

I can agree with the bold but I still see no issue with black dudes in shape. As someone who would be seen as "in shape", seems weird to hear some guy they need less people who look like me while advocating for representation despite the fact that I'm black as well (I'm assuming the dude in the video is black).

Made sense to me since negative stereotypes in mass media portrayals just perpetuates racist ideals, which leads to racist outcomes. That's one of those things that I don't think that, given context of the video, needed overexplaining.

The only odd one to me was the black cat in FF Origins (I haven't played the game, so I don't know their names), as he was only mildly bigger than everyone else and out of most of the games, it was in a more realistic fashion anyway.

Peter Parker

Superstar
Daps
Industry needs more diverse developers. I dont think its a coincidence that Deathloop had 2 black playable characters who werent bogged down by racist dialogue or presentation, and the director of that game happened to be black:manny:
Bingo, what’s the point of forcing people to come up with black characters who will just end up being tokens or gay for “representation”? I don’t think people should be forced to change their vision to make people feel seen, it’ll just end up ruining everything and O Dog will be trans half Asian in the menace ii society remake

Fight for more black creators to have chances to create

High Art

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
Made sense to me since negative stereotype in mass media portrayals just perpetuates racist ideals, which leads to racist outcomes. That's one of those things that I don't think that, given context of the video, needed overexplaining.
Negative stereotypes in itself sure but linking that to one's size and such is the problem and linking that with why there needs to be less "strong looking" black men seems beyond odd. He's linking points that should not be linked since by itself, it is barely a salient point.

The only odd one to me was the black cat in FF Origins (I haven't played the game, so I don't know their names), as he was only mildly bigger than everyone else and out of most of the games, it was in a more realistic fashion anyway.
That was one that really took me out of his explanation of that point for the same reason.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
We already spoke about this months ago in the game's thread and everyone agreed it was fukked up lol

its obvious why its coming up now
No, y’all ran in with the same stan shyt attacking everyone.

This is a new video that lots of people are discussing. Has nothing to do with what platform it’s on.

That’s just the defense y’all wanna run in any and every thread.

The game isn’t even really an “exclusive”