Dude states FFXVI sets back gaming 60 years with racism

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Negative stereotypes in itself sure but linking that to one's size and such is the problem and linking that with why there needs to be less "strong looking" black men seems beyond odd. He's linking points that should not be linked since by itself, it is barely a salient point.

That was one that really took me out of his explanation of that point for the same reason.

I hear you, but he also did go further into that character's class roles in the game being that towards a proclivity of violence or rather, the most violent roles (Berserker is usually associated with mindlessly at that). Once again, I haven't played the game, so I'm not 100% sure on the deets of all that, but if accurate, then I get why he's included as well. And it's more of a solid point because of how constant it's been done for and how long and once again, these are often the sole representations of blackness in these games.

High Art

đź‘‘King of The Salonđź‘‘
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
I hear you, but he also did go further into that character's class roles in the game being that towards a proclivity of violence or rather, the most violent roles (Berserker is usually associated with mindlessly at that). Once again, I haven't played the game, so I'm not 100% sure on the deets of all that, but if accurate, then I get why he's included as well.
I do agree with the issue of the class being used. In any case, on any other points, I can agree to disagree. Don't want to derail the thread than I already have.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Bingo, what’s the point of forcing people to come up with black characters who will just end up being tokens or gay for “representation”? I don’t think people should be forced to change their vision to make people feel seen, it’ll just end up ruining everything and O Dog will be trans half Asian in the menace ii society remake

Fight for more black creators to have chances to create
The video literally says this exact message

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Bingo, what’s the point of forcing people to come up with black characters who will just end up being tokens or gay for “representation”? I don’t think people should be forced to change their vision to make people feel seen, it’ll just end up ruining everything and O Dog will be trans half Asian in the menace ii society remake

Fight for more black creators to have chances to create

The problem was the justification by Yoshi P.

He pretty much said black people would be unrealistic in the world he's creating since its based off medieval Europe - but is then is including these giant crystals, magic, monsters / summons, cat people, etc etc in his "medieval Europe based world". Dude's full of shyt lmao.

And this idea that including representation will "ruin everything" is some WS/maga fear mongering bullshyt. There's tons of evidence that says otherwise.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
No, y’all ran in with the same stan shyt attacking everyone.

This is a new video that lots of people are discussing. Has nothing to do with what platform it’s on.

That’s just the defense y’all wanna run in any and every thread.

The game isn’t even really an “exclusive”

You obviously werent in the game thread because you dont plan on playing games, but we was all discussing it there first.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You obviously werent in the game thread because you dont plan on playing games, but we was all discussing it there first.
I saw it posted in there. It went pretty much ignored. Nothing wrong with a thread being made about it.

Compared to 99% of the threads made on here at least this one could lead to some decent discussion and that probably done best outside the game thread :ehh:

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yup. Too many times the diversity "quota" and measure for a good black character typically is some docile, effeminate or even queer black character that isn't really intimidating and too often I see dudes thinking that's good. There's nothing wrong with a man, a black man being strong or tough. I don't care for soft spoken, "intelligent" archetypes to be the fill for black characters in gaming. We tend to overcorrect and play to the same white sensibilities in wanting to not appear "Like those other blacks :mjpls:" and instead get some homogenized negro character that's just boring and safe because we don't want to be too macho.

The Seer from Apex and Leroy from Tekken are probably two of the better Black male character designs in recent years. There's nothing wrong with a Black man appearing strong, but a character doesn't have to be a roided up, freak of nature to portray that. The dude in the video was right in that the large, overly aggressive, brute of a character is old hat and hasn't done us any favors. Plus, majority of popular VG characters that are considered badass by everyone aren't overly brolic and some are even effeminate in looks(Cloud, Squall, Link, Nathan Drake, Snake.etc)