Dude states FFXVI sets back gaming 60 years with racism

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
Its definitely a bad look. I wouldnt say it sets gaming back though, it just kind of holds the line at a time when its more obvious who isn't attempting to push things forward. The game will come out, be decent and we'll play it for a few months and be moved on by the time Spiderman 2 comes out. You're really just hurting yourself at this point when people cant identify with whats onscreen.
yessir :blessed:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

And Nadine even though she got a lot of hate for beating up two white men

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Of all games to focus on why FF :jbhmm:

Edit: I fukk wit Barret though he was in my party the most besides Cloud

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I can’t really think of any notable black characters from any Japanese games outside of maybe Claude & Petra from Fire Emblem: 3 Houses and Fogado and Timarra from FE: Engage. And even still they were moreso “ambiguous brown people from the desert” than full on black :patrice:

Claude and Fogado were both strong male characters and the kingdom of Solm (desert biome with the stereotypical video game desert music :pachaha:) was viewed as a powerful nation, however Timarra and Petra Al have both had their “aggressive cultural dancing” as a part of their lore/backstory:mjpls:

Yakuza also had that black American travel photographer in a couple games that was a pretty friendly/cool character and I’m pretty sure the only black guy in the entire series outside of fake Michael Jackson

Aside from that I really can’t recall any notable black representation in JRPGs despite seeing a million different variations of white people:jbhmm:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
can’t really think of any notable black characters from any Japanese games outside of maybe Claude & Petra from Fire Emblem: 3 Houses and Fogado and Timarra from FE: Engage. And even still they were moreso “ambiguous brown people from the desert” than full on black :patrice:

Lol thats what im saying, its always white people and ‘exotical brown people in the hot climate’ part of the game.

Japanese devs (and most western devs) been on this shyt for a while. I actually thought it was cool and even made a thread about FFX having more asian/pacific island looking characters.

But i put more onus on western developers properly representing us than eastern ones. They all dropping the ball. Look at Smash Bros, it has like 70 characters representing the entire game spectrum and none of them are black

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I can’t really think of any notable black characters from any Japanese games outside of maybe Claude & Petra from Fire Emblem: 3 Houses and Fogado and Timarra from FE: Engage. And even still they were moreso “ambiguous brown people from the desert” than full on black :patrice:

Claude and Fogado were both strong male characters and the kingdom of Solm (desert biome with the stereotypical video game desert music :pachaha:) was viewed as a powerful nation, however Timarra and Petra Al have both had their “aggressive cultural dancing” as a part of their lore/backstory:mjpls:

Yakuza also had that black American travel photographer in a couple games that was a pretty friendly/cool character and I’m pretty sure the only black guy in the entire series outside of fake Michael Jackson

Aside from that I really can’t recall any notable black representation in JRPGs despite seeing a million different variations of white people:jbhmm:
Fogado and timarra are the laid back, swaggy singing and dancing but extremely skilled, black prince and princess with the strong mom. :mjpls: You can tell they just watched black panther, read some stuff about black people and was "like this will do". Solm is basically wakanda right down to the "advanced tech". :mjlol: Funny enough they are the most "realistic" acting and behaving characters in the game.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is where I give nintendo some props in comparison to everyone else in japan. Gerudo tribe, Pokemon since sun and moon at least, Arms, Fire emblem, Splatoon and even xenoblade chronicles had prominent/promoted or important "black" people.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This is where I give nintendo some props in comparison to everyone else in japan. Gerudo tribe, Pokemon since sun and moon at least, Arms, Fire emblem, Splatoon and even xenoblade chronicles had prominent/promoted or important "black" people.

:snoop:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:beli:

What you upset about now breh?

Those aren’t black people, none of them. You go to India and start calling them kinfolk also?

And im not giving props to no company that got a bunch of rapping and break dancing monkeys in their games still

diddy-kong-dk.gif

Show me actual, respectable unambiguous black people from nintendo games, not apes and people that look like early 90’s rappers

Last edited:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Those aren’t black people, none of them. You go to India and start calling them kinfolk also?

And im not giving props to no company that got a bunch of rapping and break dancing monkeys in their games still

I'm not about to go back and forth with you on fictional characters in fictional worlds that look black not being black. Nintendo has more black representation ( which still aint much) than most american gaming companies.

:umad:

wOoDJs.gif

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'm not about to go back and forth with you on fictional characters in fictional worlds that look black not being black. Nintendo has more black representation ( which still aint much) than most american gaming companies.

:umad:

wOoDJs.gif

Yeah, nintendo is “so much better than other japanese companies” :unimpressed:

ojLWb3d_d.webp

They literally got black characters with the spirits of monkeys in their games. They’ve overtly implied over the years that Donkey Kong and other apes are what they view as “black” in their games. fukk Nintendo