Dr. Dre's vault - the legendary unreleased Dr. Dre albums

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Rakim's Oh, My God

I remember reading that 'Heat' of GRODT was originally on 'Oh My God'.

Also read years ago that there was supposed to be some kind of hitman story to Detox and that Denzel did some narration on it. I was always interested in how it would have played.

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
Need to hear it in better quality but I always thought Warren remade the beat and had more success clearing the sample because he was with Def Jam and not Death Row. From memory the Dee version has harder hitting drums and probably more little things in the beat that you would hear if it was ever released in CDQ. Whoever owns the Death Row catalogue really fukked up by not releasing a 20 year anniversary Doggystyle album with the original track list.

They weren't allowed to release anything with Dre vocals unfortunately, so we'll never get the OG Doggystyle with The Next Episode. We got a few unreleased Snoop / Dre joints on the Snoop Dogg Lost Sessions album.

Mac Casper

@adonnis - pull up, there's refreshments
Daps
Reppin
Love
Does anyone know where the video for "The Next Episode" was filmed?

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
What's with the article saying Can't C Me was given to Tha Dogg Pound to be the lead single for Dogg Food?

:dahell:

Are you like 15 years old? It's common knowledge. I guess using the same logic 50 cent stans use - they wrote the song, since 2pac got it afterwards and only added his verses.

Other than "Can't C Me" he also got "California Love" (which was recorded prior with only Dre on it, hence why i took so fast for 2pac to "record it" (industry hype shyt)), Got My Mind Made Up (Dogg Pound song ft. Meth, Red & also Deck i believe) & 2 Of Amerikkkaz Most Wanted (solo Snoop song) etc.

But of course..the hype and post-death dikkriding make people forgot it and continue to re-write shyt but then blam other artist for the same shyt. shyt like this is usual in the music industry. Some of it is politics, some cuz of deals, timing etc.

Mac Casper

Daps
Reppin
Love
Are you like 15 years old? It's common knowledge. I guess using the same logic 50 cent stans use - they wrote the song, since 2pac got it afterwards and only added his verses.

Other than "Can't C Me" he also got "California Love" (which was recorded prior with only Dre on it, hence why i took so fast for 2pac to "record it" (industry hype shyt)), Got My Mind Made Up (Dogg Pound song ft. Meth, Red & also Deck i believe) & 2 Of Amerikkkaz Most Wanted (solo Snoop song) etc.

But of course..the hype and post-death dikkriding make people forgot it and continue to re-write shyt but then blam other artist for the same shyt. shyt like this is usual in the music industry. Some of it is politics, some cuz of deals, timing etc.

That was the first verse that Tupac wrote and recorded after coming out of prison and Dre was enthralled by Tupac's studio prowess

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
That was the first verse that Tupac wrote and recorded after coming out of prison and Dre was enthralled by Tupac's studio prowess

Right, but that wasnt my point. My point was the typical industry hype that constantly gets built up around a popular album/artist in those "behind the scenes interview" type talks. My point was that the song wasnt made from scratch obviously. The song was recorded years prior and all he did was record his verse, but cuz he died and all the post-death hype train came in he gets the credit for the entire song, writing the song - not verse - fast & things like that. Talented dude, no doubt, just fact checkin the general public and beliefs.

Mac Casper

Daps
Reppin
Love
Right, but that wasnt my point. My point was the typical industry hype that constantly gets built up around a popular album/artist in those "behind the scenes interview" type talks. My point was that the song wasnt made from scratch obviously. The song was recorded years prior and all he did was record his verse, but cuz he died and all the post-death hype train came in he gets the credit for the entire song, writing the song - not verse - fast & things like that. Talented dude, no doubt, just fact checkin the general public and beliefs.

They pulled the song from Dre's catalog to use as a single for 2Pac's album, it would become his first #1 record. Tupac didn't need that record though, it was a time and place and the climate was ready for Tupac . . all he needed to do was come with something for the pop stratosphere and this was ready to go. It's business, the wheels were already moving and they needed the album out. They finished a double album in 2 weeks, he was out in November and the album was out in February.

That's just how the industry works breh :manny:

Do you know how pop records are done? Look at the credits of someone like Max Martin . . Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Nsync - they have a hit record they come in with track just about done, reference tracks and all and the group just does the vocals. Pop records are brainchild of the producer

. . but that's not hip-hop right?

"Kush" took three to four months to complete due to the numerous production stages that it eventually went through.[6] The genesis of song came when Dr. Dre's request for a single prompted producer DJ Khalil to pick out an archived vocal sample he had previously made of songwriter collaborator Kobe Honeycutt that he felt would be perfect to build a new Dre track around.[6] Khalil told HitQuarters that he began with the sample of Honeycutt saying "Hold up, wait a minute, let me put some kush up in it", which he looped in Reason, and the drums, which he tried to make sound "pulsating and clubby".[6] Keyboard player Danny Keyz then added a synth which Khalil then filtered and washed out with a reverb.[6] To this basic track they started adding hook parts and different vocals with the aim of giving the song a constantly evolving sound, but at the same time Khalil was mindful to keep the production as open and spare as possible.[6]

that's basically a story of a staff producer who basically came up with the initative to make a "Dr. Dre-like" record. Imagine that.

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
They pulled the song from Dre's catalog to use as a single for 2Pac's album, it would become his first #1 record

That's just how the industry works breh :manny:

Do you know how pop records are done? Look at the credits of someone like Max Martin . . Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Nsync - they have a hit record they come in with track just about done, reference tracks and all and the group just does the vocals. Pop records are brainchild of the producer

. . but that's not hip-hop right?

that's basically a story of a staff producer who basically came up with the initative to make a "Dr. Dre-like" record. Imagine that.

You're just repeating what i just finished saying & then even missed my point i explained 2 times..clearly you're a fanatic fishing for an argument to win. Fact is facts and the proof is in the puddin in my previous posts - read 'em.