Dr. Dre Hip Hop's Greatest Producer

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
It's ironic cause I been listening to Dogg Food, Doggystyle and The Chronic for the last 2 days
I been a big fan of Dre's production work for a long time but in recent years I've been on the fence about his production work.
I think he's talented but I question how much credit does he really deserves for it
Again, this is no knock against him cause I do think he's got some talent but I really think Dre's expertise is mixing. That's what impress me the most about his music.
The more I go back and listen to the music he sometimes sampled but mostly interpolated that's what's not the most impressive thing to me, it's how well its mixed.
Every producer has some type of assistance in the studio or some homies who help influence their work but Dre has had a handful of it
So much help, that it makes u wonder what the fukk does he outside of mix the songs cause he's always had many producers working alongside him.

There's no denying his run in Hip Hop but when I look at how much talent & work (not just or always success) guys like RZA, Premier, DJ Quik, and Pete Rock and they've had great eras too if we solely at their production work and not billboard charts or sells.

I think Dre is more of a producer in the traditional sense of the word outside of Hip Hop.
Like he's more of a conductor than he is a producer (the producer in Hip Hop is basically the nikka making the beat)
But outside of Hip Hop, a producer is more so the nikka adding themes, concepts and ideas to the songs or music.
Not to say a producer in Hip Hop don't do that, cause they do, but they more so the nikka making the beat.
While the MC will handle the words, tho the producer can be and sometimes is instrumental in influence to the MC and his or her writing/rhyming
I just think Dre's lane is mixing and knowing how to give great advice on how to tweak an already made beat and or half baked song.
Cause most of the time with Dre, the beat is already done and he comes in, gives his opinion, adds a couple of things, gets the MC to record the song a bunch of times until it sounds good to him and then he's mixing it and then you have a song produced by Dre
But Dre got and has had so much help over the years that I feel like from the standpoint of a HIP HOP producer, there's other cats who while haven't had the same level of success that he has, have put in just as much if not more work than him and without nearly as much help if any at all outside of an engineer/mixer/master/musician session player

Premier never came from an infrastructure like N.W.A. but that nikka has kept putting out great beats for decades without much help.
RZA churned out a handful of solo members of the Wu in a matter of a few years along w/ 2 group albums. Very iconic run
Quik is just as talented as Dre; but a lot of shyt has held him back from achieving a higher level of success. Quik is so damn underrated.
I recently revisited Pete Rock's whole catalog like a month ago and years ago I thought he'd fallen off, but Pete has been pretty damn consistent.
Large Pro is still nice with. That album he produced for Cormega a couple of years ago was really nice. 1 of the best albums I've heard in the last few years

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
It's funny how dudes come out talking about all of Dre's "ghostproducers", yet NONE of them have classics without Dre.

Anyway, this one has always been underrated to me

My favorite track on the album

But to add what you said every body from Soopafly, Daz, Chris Glove, Luis Resto, Scott Storch, Mike Elinzdo, Battle Cat, Stan the Guitar Man, Dirt Bike Gardner ECT say the same shyt they either play the keys, guitar or bass, or Dre have note in his head tell them to play this on an instrument and he takes it from there, they all say Dre produce the records

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You right TPAB and GKMC do have Dr. Dre fingerprints on the album, here's why and tells you about the Greatness of Dr. Dre.

TPAB was recorded and mixed at Dr. Dre studio, Dre have one of the best studio in hip hop.

TPAB and all Kendricks album (And TDE Albums) are mixed by One of the best engineer in hip hop, TDE Engineer MixedByAli, MixedbyAli was taken in by Dr. Dre, Dr. Dre showed him tricks and how to mixed records. MixedbyAli is a Dre disciple on the Engineer Boards, so that's why you hear Dr. Dre influence on that album, and you know Dre was cleaning the album up on the production side, adding little things

Here's MixedbyAli talking about Dr. Dre when Dre and MixedbyAli was mixing GKMC

Did you mix the album?
Yup. Me and Dre did like five songs. I did the rest of ’em [by myself]. It was a dope experience. First time really working with Dre. For the last year and a half, two years, he’s been showing me things, but this was the first time we really was able to get in the studio and go hands on.

What did you pick up or learn in that process?
It’s so much. With Dre, I could just watch him work and I’ll learn something. Dre is a perfectionist. I would love to be somewhat like him in my career. Everything he does has to be perfect. He knows what he likes to hear and he knows what direction he want to take each record. A lot of engineers do it in a science: The kicks first, the snares, the percussion, the hi hats; they do it down the line. Dre, when he hears a record, he hears the record in the whole and he takes it to the next level.

Read More: Meet Mixed by Ali, the Man Behind the Sounds of TDE - XXL | Meet Mixed by Ali, the Man Behind the Sounds of TDE - XXL
Compare those albums to Damn, which is a dope album by the way and it sounds bland in comparison. I think Damn suffered due to Dre not being in the picture.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Nobody wants to talk about how Dr. Dre taught or influence Daz, Warren G, Soopafly, Battle Cat, Fred Wreck, Cold 187'um, Meech Wells, DJ Pooh, Jelly Roll, Neef U, Budda, Chris Glover, Stu B Doo ECT.

Or how he made little known musicians like Scott Storch, Stan the Guitar Man, Dirt Bike Gardner, Luis Resto, Jeff Bashker, Mike Elinzdo ECT into big time musician players in the industry and house hold names

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Compare those albums to Damn, which is a dope album by the way and it sounds bland in comparison. I think Damn suffered due to Dre not being in the picture.

Dr. Dre do gives his artist freedom to expand and he will fall back on projects after they prove themselves. But on Kendrick next project I feel we about to get some Dre production and mixing on it.

I feel what you saying, Dre could of took them beats to the next level like he did with those producers on Compton, Dre made their songs Monsters

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dr. Dre do gives his artist freedom to expand and he will fall back on projects after they prove themselves. But on Kendrick next project I feel we about to get some Dre production and mixing on it.

I feel what you saying, Dre could of took them beats to the next level like he did with those producers on Compton, Dre made their songs Monsters
What did you think about Damn musically?

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
What did you think about Damn musically?

I think it was one of last year's best, I like the psychedelic vibe on some of the tracks, I wished he would of went deeper into that route and took it where Sly Stone went with there's a Riot Going On.

But Musically it's not fukking with TPAB.