Dr. Dre Hip Hop's Greatest Producer

Phantom Dreamer

All Star
Daps
Dr. Dre do gives his artist freedom to expand and he will fall back on projects after they prove themselves. But on Kendrick next project I feel we about to get some Dre production and mixing on it.

I feel what you saying, Dre could of took them beats to the next level like he did with those producers on Compton, Dre made their songs Monsters

Right here. Maybe he's trying to clean up his reputation because all the producers got their credit, he wasn't credited as a producer on every track and never gave himself top billing. Ex: a song would be "Produced by producer X, producer Y, & Dr. Dre," But the whole album sounded pristine. He (and Focus...) mixed them all.

BUT....

It didn't sound like a Dre album to me in terms of beats anyway :sas1:. "Gone" is all I can remember. But the songs were top notch sonically.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Right here. Maybe he's trying to clean up his reputation because all the producers got their credit, he wasn't credited as a producer on every track and never gave himself top billing. Ex: a song would be "Produced by producer X, producer Y, & Dr. Dre," But the whole album sounded pristine. He (and Focus...) mixed them all.

BUT....

It didn't sound like a Dre album to me in terms of beats anyway :sas1:. "Gone" is all I can remember. But the songs were top notch sonically.

But see that's nothing new for Dr. Dre, Dr. Dre didn't get credit for every track on Dr. Dre Presents The Aftermath Album and Dr. Dre didn't get top billing on some of those tracks also, it was Co Produced by Dre with the producer name was top.

Dr. Dre never took credit from people, you heard him he was once a starving artist.

On all his album since NWA Days you seen LA Dre on boards, Stan the Guitar Man on guitar, Dirt Bike Gardner on guitar

Death row you see Priest Brooks on keys, Daz on Drums ect. On the credits

But to me it sounded like a Dre Album, sounded like NWA nikkaz for life era

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Mike Elizondo (Aftermath's In house Bass Player) speaks on the recording process with Dr. Dre

Elizondo discussed the creative process of collaborating with Dr. Dre. ‘We have a routine for writing and recording. We would show up at the studio at 3:00 pm, almost like a day job. Then Dre would usually throw up some drum beats, and then we’d fire up the keyboards and G5 (Apple) computer. I would play keyboards and guitars. Sometimes we would work with other writers, such as Scott Storch, Mark Batson and Che Pope. We would find sounds that meshed with Dre’s grooves.’

So this how Dre records, he have his drums and grooves already laid down, he get live musicians to come in from his team and the team start jamming to Dre Tracks. Dre be like okay that lick you just played I like that, keep playing that, that keyboard stab that's cool. They jamming and Dre is producing the track, Dre don't sample no more.

DJ Quik does the same shyt, DJ Quik goes in the studio with G-one and Robert Fonksta Bacon who are musicians and start jamming to Quik Grooves. But Quik is a Genius not Dre?

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Mel Man Aftermath Producer on Dr. Dre vs DJ Quik, who's the better Producer

These are all from dubcnn where Mel-Man posts. Its a great insight into Dr Dre...

Q: Who is a better producer, Dre or Quik?
A: That is a question I get on this board and in public a lot. I don't know why but I will give you my opinion. Dre is hands down the better "producer". Before all you DJ quik fans jump all over me, please note that Quik is easily on of the best producers in all of music and I looove his sound. like Sven said quik is a lot like Dre. While both have sampled, or replayed and expanded like Dre did in the ruthless and death row years, both dre and quik try to create MUSIC using mostly live instrumentations. Both have used actual live drums on a number of records, as well as live bass of all types, pianos, keys, horns, guitars, flutes, sax, xzylophone, etc.

Quik and Dre have different sounds for the most part but they are almost identical in how they hire musicians for most of the actual played music. neither really play any instruments. both are incredible on the drum machine and both can play keyboards, quik is arguably a little better than dre on the keys while Dre is agruably better on the drum machine. I do disagree with quik being a one man band. If you listen to Quik's first four albums you mostly hear the incredible Robert Bacon playing most, if not all of the instruments. Bacon is Quik's secret weapon. that doesn't take anything away from Dj quik but I am giving credit where credit is due. Robert is simply one of the best musicians to ever be involved in hip hop.

Dre has discovered and/or used some incredible musicians during his career - Colin Wolfe, Mike Simms, Sean Thomas, T green, Scott Storch, Camara Kamron - to name a few. Dre gives all of the musicians he has used a lot of credit for being a big part of his success. Quik has also had other great musicans besides Fonksta Bacon too.

The fact is that Dre and Quik are the top producers in rap MUSIC because they create music and hire some incredible musicians to help them bring their ideas to musical life.
Why is Dre a better producer, in my humble opinion, than quik? Being a PRODUCER is so much more than being a musician. Only in rap is a producer expected to play instruments on tracks. Most music producers don't play anything on the records. Great producers do however have the "ear" and understand melodies, and how best to mazimize an instruments and the musicians potential. Dre has one of the best ears there is. believe me he has made me a better musician than I ever thought i could be because he knows exactly how to tweak what I play from good to great. Producers coach, discover talent, mentor, shape, mold, compose, create, adjust, innovate, arrainge, focus, orchestrate, direct and so much more. Dre does all of that, and as a total package does that as well as or better than any producer in modern music history.

Quik hasn't really changed his sound ever. He was forced to after Robert left, but its been pretty consistent in direction(this is not a criticism of quik, this is the style he is so good at, and the style we all love). Dre has changed his music and the sound of music itself more than once. With NWA and being the main creative force behind Ruthless records he helped change the sound of rap music and what could be said on records. With The Chronic he was the leader in bringing a fresh sound - g-funk - to music. If you bought that album when it came out in dec. 92 it blew you away as it was unlike anything you had ever heard before. The chronic also brought gangsta rap to the masses and made it a cultural phenomenon (along with saving Interscope from folding). When Dre left to start Aftermath he changed the course of music forever (again) with the discovery of eminem. he also helped make 50 and now game into superstars as well.

Dre has discovered some of the biggest artists in music history and as a producer he molded those artists by taking them from unpolished diamonds to polished muliplatinum selling artists. Quik has never really discovered anyone who blew up. As a producer Dre works harder than anyone else and demands more from his artists than anyone else. He mentors artists and maximizes their talent. He has the incredible ability to bring the best out of any artist and helps them to perform at incredible levels or career best levels. And I haven't even brought out the fact that albums Dre has produced on have easily eclipsed the 100 million mark in sales. Quik hasn't even hit 10 million. But I don't really want to use record sales as a factor in determining how good a producer is. Jimmy Iovine calls Dre the most influential record producer in music history. While I won't put him alone at the top he's definetly on the short list.

In the end everyone has their own opinion. There is no right or wrong. if you think quik is the best great. if he's your favorite great. Quik is an incredible talent and a better musician but I just don't think its fair to compare him to Dre as a PRODUCER. Dre, as a PRODUCER, is as good as there has ever been. He is the Michael Jordan of Rap. But like I said i could be completely wrong. Just enjoy the talents of each man as you won't see the likes of them very often ever again

Last edited:

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Might wanna check Scott storch's credits breh

Check Scott Storch production style before he got with Dre and After he got with Dre, he took that Aftermath Sound which is Dre's Sound and left, those tracks was mistaken for Dre Tracks. Scott Storch got big headed wanted more acknowledgment, he left Aftermath, now after many years he called Dre apologized and back in good grace with Dre.

I'm about to post what Mel Man said about how Scott fukked up and about producers and musicians receiving their credit