Dr. Dre Hip Hop's Greatest Producer

Daps
Check Scott Storch production style before he got with Dre and After he got with Dre, he took that Aftermath Sound which is Dre's Sound and left, those tracks was mistaken for Dre Tracks. Scott Storch got big headed wanted more acknowledgment, he left Aftermath, now after many years he called Dre apologized and back in good grace with Dre.

I'm about to post what Mel Man said about how Scott fukked up and about producers and musicians receiving their credit

How was It "aftermaths" sound when Scott storch himself created those chords and riffs.

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
How was It "aftermaths" sound when Scott storch himself created those chords and riffs.

Cords and Riffs don't make the overall sound of a musical style, do you hear Dre style production or those piano stabs on the Roots first two albums when Scott was the keyboard player?

No, Scott went in the Aftermath family, I just posted what Mike said about how the production process with Dre on page 7

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Mel Man on Dre Stealing Credits

Q: Does Dre steal credit?

A: I hate this f'in question. I know this will always be out there no matter how hard I argue it. So i'm not going to attempt to win this arguement. But No Dre does not steal credit from others. In my experience with Dre I have ALWAYS gotten proper credit and full publishing. Since the first Aftermath album Dre has given proper credit to every songwriter, producer, musician, engineer, whoever. Dre told me he learned how not to run a label during his death Row days. He vowed to give proper credit to everyone who works on each track.

Whether Dre produces or co produces , Dre's name will almost always go first. That's just the way it is. The only time it doesn't is when Dre doesn't actively work on the making of the track. If it is finished and he jumps on and adds or changes he will not be the first name.

But if Dre is active in the true creation of the track he will go first, and rightfully so as Dre is the orchestrator and director of every track. At death row Dre and every other artist i talked to has told me suge would let Dre get his own publishing but suge would basically steal everyone elses. In music, getting publishing credit is almost everything. Whether Snoop or Kurupt or whoever wrote the verse it didn't matter. Suge publishing would get the credit.

Dre will always admit that creating The Chronic and Doggystyle was a team effort, but that there was no doubt he was the mastermind behind the production of the tracks. Obviously I wasn't there during the death Row days but everyone I have talked to during my time with Dre who was actually there said that Dre was the main force, the main producer and orchestrator of every track. he got a lot of help from musicians and ocassional help from co-producers like sam sneed, and warren g, etc. which Dre credits for helping make those classic records.

In the end though suge would not pay them correctly so a lot of people left. the original death row is gone, and they almost all left after dre left - even daz - that should tell you something. suge stole credits and publishing from the musicians and writers all the time. and although Dre couldn't (although maybe he should have) force suge to change as co owner of death row he was ultimatley responsible, and Dre felt really bad about it. he felt responsible although it wasn't really his fault. That was a major factor in starting Aftermath. Dre wanted to run a label the correct way and make sure everyone who worked with him got full credit and the correct publishing. I can honestly say Dre has never cheated me or anyone else i know during my time at Aftermath. Egos can get involved where some people think they should get more credit than they deserve. Scott had those issues once but he's back and working with us and is very happy to be a part of dre's team.

If you ask anyone who has ever worked with Dre if he treats them fairly they will all say yes. If you are willing to put in the work it takes to be successful dre will treat you and compensate you like family. He will reward you for your efforts.
Hopefully this sheds a little light on things. Dre is far from perfect, even very irritable sometimes, but in this business of music you will find few people as giving and humble as Dre.

Tommy Gibbs

Superstar
Daps
this is contradicting to the interview Mel Man gave with the Source. haha. He did about a 3 page interview with Eric B(of all people who was stealing credit from an 18 year old Large Professor) about not getting credit for his work on Aftermath. I still have that Source issue but it's buried in hundreds of books in cases in my back yard. I can't be only one who remembers that issue. This was after Mel Man left Aftermath right before Elizondo was the go to guy

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
Mel Man on Dre Stealing Credits

Q: Does Dre steal credit?

A: I hate this f'in question. I know this will always be out there no matter how hard I argue it. So i'm not going to attempt to win this arguement. But No Dre does not steal credit from others. In my experience with Dre I have ALWAYS gotten proper credit and full publishing. Since the first Aftermath album Dre has given proper credit to every songwriter, producer, musician, engineer, whoever. Dre told me he learned how not to run a label during his death Row days. He vowed to give proper credit to everyone who works on each track.

Whether Dre produces or co produces , Dre's name will almost always go first. That's just the way it is. The only time it doesn't is when Dre doesn't actively work on the making of the track. If it is finished and he jumps on and adds or changes he will not be the first name.

But if Dre is active in the true creation of the track he will go first, and rightfully so as Dre is the orchestrator and director of every track. At death row Dre and every other artist i talked to has told me suge would let Dre get his own publishing but suge would basically steal everyone elses. In music, getting publishing credit is almost everything. Whether Snoop or Kurupt or whoever wrote the verse it didn't matter. Suge publishing would get the credit.

Dre will always admit that creating The Chronic and Doggystyle was a team effort, but that there was no doubt he was the mastermind behind the production of the tracks. Obviously I wasn't there during the death Row days but everyone I have talked to during my time with Dre who was actually there said that Dre was the main force, the main producer and orchestrator of every track. he got a lot of help from musicians and ocassional help from co-producers like sam sneed, and warren g, etc. which Dre credits for helping make those classic records.

In the end though suge would not pay them correctly so a lot of people left. the original death row is gone, and they almost all left after dre left - even daz - that should tell you something. suge stole credits and publishing from the musicians and writers all the time. and although Dre couldn't (although maybe he should have) force suge to change as co owner of death row he was ultimatley responsible, and Dre felt really bad about it. he felt responsible although it wasn't really his fault. That was a major factor in starting Aftermath. Dre wanted to run a label the correct way and make sure everyone who worked with him got full credit and the correct publishing. I can honestly say Dre has never cheated me or anyone else i know during my time at Aftermath. Egos can get involved where some people think they should get more credit than they deserve. Scott had those issues once but he's back and working with us and is very happy to be a part of dre's team.

If you ask anyone who has ever worked with Dre if he treats them fairly they will all say yes. If you are willing to put in the work it takes to be successful dre will treat you and compensate you like family. He will reward you for your efforts.
Hopefully this sheds a little light on things. Dre is far from perfect, even very irritable sometimes, but in this business of music you will find few people as giving and humble as Dre.

I hope everyone reads this, Dre stealing credit is the biggest myth in hip hop. :salute:

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
this is contradicting to the interview Mel Man gave with the Source. haha. He did about a 3 page interview with Eric B(of all people who was stealing credit from an 18 year old Large Professor) about not getting credit for his work on Aftermath. I still have that Source issue but it's buried in hundreds of books in cases in my back yard. I can't be only one who remembers that issue. This was after Mel Man left Aftermath right before Elizondo was the go to guy

I already talked about that, I have that issue to that's when they ran to the Source when The Source was funking with Aftermath/Shady/G Unit.

And it wasn't Mel Man and it was mostly Budda, Chris Glover, Neef U talking that shyt how they are aftermath and how they starting a label

Then years later they ran back to Dr. Dre :mjlol:

Tommy Gibbs

Superstar
Daps
I already talked about that, I have that issue to that's when they ran to the Source when The Source was funking with Aftermath/Shady/G Unit.

And it wasn't Mel Man and it was mostly Budda, Chris Glover, Neef U talking that shyt how they are aftermath and how they starting a label

Then years later they ran back to Dr. Dre :mjlol:
mel man was in that interview. I bought every source from about 94-2003 and read them from front to back. Mel man was in that interview becasue we didn't see him anymore on Aftermath albums. So for him to change his tune is crazy. Daz is the same way. One interview he's talking about how Dre stole shyt from him, another interview, he's bigging him up. Strange to me. Dre is great though. U can't deny his track record, but you also can't deny that he's stole shyt too

Last edited:

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
mel man was in that interview. I bought every source and read them from front to back. Mel man was in that interview becasue we didn't see him anymore on Aftermath albums. So for him to change his tune is crazy. Daz is the same way. One interview he's talking about how Dre stole shyt from him, another interview, he's bigging him up. Strange to me. Dre is great though. U can't deny his track record, but you also can't deny that he's stole shyt too

That's because Big Ego's do you even read the credits on Dr. Dre present The Aftermath, 2001 and all Aftermath releases Mel Man, Stu B Doo, Neef U, Chris Glove, Budda all got credited, Daz got Credited on Dogg Food and Dre produced them tracks with Daz but Dre didn't put his name, we busted this shyt wide open in this thread check the back pages.

Yeah those nikkas was crazy, they wanted to be Dre and they all came running back to Dre.

Mike Elizondo I just dropped what he said 2 pages ago how the process goes down

The musicians go into the studio. Dre got the Drums going on the drum machine, Dre already have the groove of the track playing, the musician's start grooving, freestyle. Scott on the keys just playing anything, Dre be like that right there keep it, keep doing that, Mike is on the bass thumping some shyt, Dre be like okay I like that string, somebody on the Guitar Dre likes what they play. Now Dre got his drums and grooves already playing the heart of the beat, now he get the sampler and start adding the pieces of the live instrument that they was playing, adding them to his grooves at certain spots, Dr. Dre is producing the damn record, he's adding, mixing the shyt to a complete song, he produced them tracks from scratch

Dr. Dre is The Producer of them tracks