Don’t vote? Veteran Democratic Congressman Still Pushing for Reparations in a Divided America

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
Congressman Conyers began attempts to introduce HR 40 way back in 1989.

Almost 30 years went by, and he couldn't even get a significant number of Democrats to support STUDYING the reparations issue.

John Conyers is no longer a member of the House of Representatives.

Check It Out…Conyers is gone—will ‘H.R. 40’ Bill be gone, too? (Dec. 20, 2017)
J. Pharoah Doss, Courier Columnist

In 1989 U.S. Representative John Conyers Jr., D-Mich., introduced H.R. 40: The Commission to Study and Develop Reparations Proposals for African Americans Act. H.R. 40 wasn’t legislation to redress any grievance. The bill requested appropriations for a study so its findings could start a national dialogue.

During the decade of the 90’s H.R. 40 wasn’t mentioned by mainstream Black leaders, but in 2000 “reparations for slavery” became a controversial topic due to Randall Robinson’s new book, The Debt: What America Owes to Blacks. (Notice: The controversy was over the concept of “reparations for slavery” not H.R. 40.) Robinson wrote, “Our society must first be brought to a consensus that it wants to close the socioeconomic gap between the races. It must accept that the gap derives from the social depredations of slavery. Once and for all, America must…accept full responsibility for the hardships it has occasioned for so many.”

Check It Out…Conyers is gone—will ‘H.R. 40’ Bill be gone, too? (Dec. 20, 2017)

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
Again, you're towing the trolling line.

Of course I know this.

Where is the work after co-sponsorong?

Y'all the reason they so lazy. This is a half ass effort. This is about reparations for slavery and it takes more than this to get support for this to ACTUALLY PASS.

White folks, black folks, gay folks, everybody should know about this bill. You should be on every national news channels spreading the word.

This is not enough.

What do you want from me?

Answer that and stop the back and forth.

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Of course I know this.

Y'all the reason they so lazy. This is a half ass effort. This is about reparations for slavery and it takes more than this to get support for this to ACTUALLY PASS.

White folks, black folks, gay folks, everybody should know about this bill. You should be on every national news channels spreading the word.

This is not enough.

Wait so the media not picking this up and your dumbass not knowing about it is the dems fault? They wrote a bill and cosponsored it, as legislators that is what their job is.

Y’all love moving the goalposts. First you cry about dems not doing anything for you, then when presented with evidence that they did, you want to claim that they did something but didn’t present it in a fashion that YOU wanted even though Conyers has been pushing this for years in media publications such as the one posted in the OP and this is all PUBLIC INFORMATION AND A GOOGLE AWAY. You’re nothing but a cry baby and habitual complainer who could never be satisfied. No point in arguing with you.

Easy-E

I 💗My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
@dj-method-x

I'mma lean back. You creating hostility, calling me outside my sn.

I'mma dip.

IlI' leave it at this, I knew about the bullshyt already. Way before this thread.

Have a good weekend.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
First you cry that Democrats never do anything for blacks, now you’re saying that they don’t deserve credit for trying to pass this in the face of republican opposition and at the same time telling us that we shouldn’t vote to decrease the same republican opposition. You don’t see a problem with this strategy?

:ohhh:

:russ:Dummy, purposely writing a bill you know won't pass specifically to pacify Black people is the EPITOME of "not doing shyt for Black folks".

What the fukk is a "symbolic" bill that won't ever happen going to do for us?

And THEN, they made sure that #METoo got rid of the one nikka who kept reintroducing the bill

John Conyers was one of the few good dudes in there and they got him up out there so they won't even have to reintroduce it.

Have they ever actually voted on this bill? All i kno is conyers been tryna introduce this for like 30 years or some.

Also how come bernie wasnt in that list of supporters :mjpls:

He's in the Senate, not the House. It'd have to pass in the House first.

nikkas getting hyped over a hypothetical with no popular support or momentum outside of conscious black circles.

:snooze:

This. And Dude, they they kicked Conyers out of Congress so that they wouldn't have to keep going through this on some fake #MeToo shyt.

God Bless this man, but uhhh...

It’s been some of you Dems on here who have said reparations isn’t feasible, and to basically give up on it. Nice to see there’s someone still fighting.

I’d vote for this man, and anyone else who’ll focus on solely helping the AA community. While I applaud those who backed it, it will take a little more than backing to get my vote

Dude, he aint up for election. He's out the game. He got #MeToo'd. That's why it's so ridiculous to bring this article up. It's not even relevant time wise.

Just more fake ass liberal pandering

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:russ:Dummy, purposely writing a bill you know won't pass specifically to pacify Black people is the EPITOME of "not doing shyt for Black folks".

What the fukk is a "symbolic" bill that won't ever happen going to do for us?

:snoop:

Again and I repeat.

First you cry that Democrats never do anything for blacks, now you’re saying that they don’t deserve credit for trying to pass this in the face of republican opposition and at the same time telling us that we shouldn’t vote to decrease the same republican opposition. You don’t see a problem with this strategy?

:ohhh:

You dudes can't have it both ways. Democrats persistently brought this bill up since 1989, and you assume that they did it just to pacify blacks? FOH. This thread just proves that there's no way to satisfy some of you dudes. Half of yall are just conservative agents and infiltrators. The other half of you just are habitual complainers who will never be satisfied by people who are actually trying to enact change while you sit and bytch on your computers while listening to Tariq Nasheed and Umar Johnson podcasts.

:camby:

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
:snoop:

Again and I repeat.

You dudes can't have it both ways. Democrats persistently brought this bill up since 1989, and you assume that they did it just to pacify blacks? FOH. This thread just proves that there's no way to satisfy some of you dudes. Half of yall are just conservative agents and infiltrators. The other half of you just are habitual complainers who will never be satisfied by people who are actually trying to enact change while you sit and bytch on your computers while listening to Tariq Nasheed and Umar Johnson podcasts.

:camby:

It's not BOTH WAYS.

John Conyers was a good man and one of the few REAL Black people in politics, but he's a part of a party that only paid lip service to his reparations bill.

Why are you acting like the mainstream of the Democratic party wanted ANYTHING to do with this?

Where do you see any of the mainstream democrats supporting this? The Clintons? The Obamas? The Sanders? The Pelosis? Reids? Schumers?

I'm not doubting that Conyers and a few of the more real members of the CBC might have actually wanted reparations, but the party as a whole wasn't behind it and at best just looked at it as a way to keep stringing us along.

And THEN, they got rid of Conyers on some fake MeToo shyt so they don't even have to do that anymore.

I don't think that anybody, even the more militantly "don't vote" type nikkaz have ever said that EVERY SINGLE DEMOCRAT was bad. Just that they don't give a fukk about us in general, which is true.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
It’s going on 2 years and nothing else came of this. Conyers is facing (forced) retirement and it would require Trump’s signature and they would ironically find a way to obstruct their “own” bill because of it.

You're just squirming and wriggling try to find any and every excuse not to go against the Republicans with everything you got

(The most effective tool MIGHT be voting)

The premise is

Niqqas be on here saying "don't vote cause the Dems are as bad as or worse than the Republicans"

Then we have this whole back and forth about mass incarceration and Bill Clinton as if Bill Clinton is making the rules in 2018

So OP is underlining a huge way that the Dems are different than the Nazis

Cause some Dems are in fact liberal Black people who have all the same hopes and fears as the good Brehs and Sistren here

But y'all keep reaching and dodging. Fighting as hard as you can to deny the fact that one group is basically a terror cell that has engulfed the US government on some Hail Hydra shyt

So as always I ask

Why?

Why you go to such lengths to discredit something like

REPARATIONS FOR DESCENDANDTS OF AMERICAN CHATEL SLAVES

"But they didn't do it yet. It won't work anyway."

If

You

Vote

The

Bad

Guys

Out

Then

Maybe

More

Good

Will

Get

Done

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether

Of course I know this.

This is not enough.

Take 20 minutes

AND GO VOTE AGAINST EVERY REPUBLICAN

That's really it

That and: encourage your folks to do the same