Don’t vote? Veteran Democratic Congressman Still Pushing for Reparations in a Divided America

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
God Bless this man, but uhhh...

It’s been some of you Dems on here who have said reparations isn’t feasible, and to basically give up on it. Nice to see there’s someone still fighting.

I’d vote for this man, and anyone else who’ll focus on solely helping the AA community. While I applaud those who backed it, it will take a little more than backing to get my vote

Brolic Scholar

Licensed Text Technician
Daps
Reppin
Unknown Side Effects
Money definitely influences policy, but voting can be used as a tool too. You can do both. I’m not against building an economic base, I’m against this notion that we shouldn’t vote. If more people voted (not just black people) we’d have more likeminded people in Congress that could support this bill.

No we wouldn’t. A bill that goes against the interests of a majority of this country?

:mjlol:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
Again you are showing your ignorance to
how the congress works. The house can pass articles of impeachment but it cannot enact legislation without the president and the senate signing off.

Go read a Civics 101 book then come back to this thread when you’re ready breh.
I have a b.a. in Political Science , you can't talk that civics books nonsense to me. Voting is not the end all to enact change or for policy implementation..

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have a b.a. in Political Science , you can't talk that civics books nonsense to me. Voting is not the end all to enact change or for policy implementation..

Never said that voting was the end all. But not voting doesn't seem to be a constructive approach, especially if your reasoning for not voting is because democrats don't do anything specifically for us. This post clearly shows that not to be true.

:manny:

Reality

Make your own luck.
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Aside from former Congressman Conyers efforts and Republican opposition, what do we do about major Democratic opposition to reparations?

Barack Obama: "But I’m not so optimistic as to think that you would ever be able to garner a majority of an American Congress that would make those kinds of investments above and beyond the kinds of investments that could be made in a progressive program for lifting up all people. So to restate it: I have much more confidence in my ability, or any president or any leader’s ability, to mobilize the American people around a multiyear, multibillion-dollar investment to help every child in poverty in this country than I am in being able to mobilize the country around providing a benefit specific to African Americans as a consequence of slavery and Jim Crow."

Hillary Clinton: During her 2000 Senate campaign, Clinton was asked about the award, her position on Holocaust reparations, and whether she would endorse slavery reparations. Without answering directly, she said that "we have some mental and emotional and psychological reparations to pay first."
“We do owe … an apology to African-Americans for hundreds of years of slavery," she said, "but I think that the people I know and the people I work with want us to stay focused on the future, keep our economy going, keep providing good public education, quality affordable healthcare—do the things that will enable people to have the best futures for themselves, and that's what I'm committed to doing.”

Bernie Sanders: "First of all, its likelihood of getting through Congress is nil. Second of all, I think it would be very divisive. The real issue is when we look at the poverty rate among the African-American community, when we look at the high unemployment rate within the African-American community, we have a lot of work to do."

I'm in the "Please vote brehs" brigade and the responses from Barry, Hill, and Bernie on this are absolute horseshyt. These folks won't even make it a conversation but we're taking Ls after Ls after Ls on immigration??? fukk no.

I still believe in voting and I'm not going to play this whole "fukk it, I'm out" game politically, but it's time to dial up the heat on our politicians.

Black people reading this...MAKE THIS AN ISSUE IN THE DEMOCRATIC PRIMARIES. That is when we have leverage without cutting off our nose to spite our face.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
They haven’t been able to vote on it because the republican speaker of the house won’t bring it up for vote. This is why voting is important to get obstacles of progress the fukk out the way. They will get their chance in 2019 though

:takedat:
I'm so sick of you voting fundamentalists..we gonna make massa make it happen in 2019... * doesn't happen - gotta make massa make give us a chance in 2020....* still nothing. But y'all gotta vote :sadbron:
You talk all that civics 101 but you can't even see how Economics affects politics. Take an Econ 230 class, then come back with some knowledge .

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Never said that voting was the end all. But not voting doesn't seem to be a constructive approach, especially if your reasoning for not voting is because democrats don't do anything specifically for us. This post clearly shows that not to be true.

:manny:
It absolutely does not prove anything.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
This is clearly a pandering thread, though. OP and the others who’ll come in here have clearly said reparations aren’t feasible. It ain’t a pander to those active on this board, but to those lurking who OP feels are being influenced not to vote.

In here talking about reparations, descendants of slaves, and other things they’ll clown in other threads. White liberals and elitist blacks stay trying to con and trick.

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm so sick of you voting fundamentalists..we gonna make massa make it happen in 2019... * doesn't happen - gotta make massa make give us a chance in 2020....* still nothing. But y'all gotta vote :sadbron:
You talk all that civics 101 but you can't even see how Economics affects politics. Take an Econ 230 class, then come back with some knowledge .

It will happen if we ever get enough people in office to support this buy ::gasp:: VOTING.

What makes you think I don't see how economics affects politics?

:jbhmm:

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is clearly a pandering thread, though. OP and the others who’ll come in here have clearly said reparations aren’t feasible. It ain’t a pander to those active on this board, but to those lurking who OP feels are being influenced not to vote.

In here talking about reparations, descendants of slaves, and other things they’ll clown in other threads. White liberals and elitist blacks stay trying to con and trick.

when have I personally ever said reparations aren't feasible period? They aren't feasible until we (by voting) get enough people in office to vote for bills like this.

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
It will happen if we ever get enough people in office to support this buy ::gasp:: VOTING.

What makes you think I don't see how economics affects politics?

:jbhmm:
Two reasons-
Because you're being dumb and wilfully ignorant to the economic and fiscal policies, in addition to the legal backing/support needed to implement to enforce them.

Repeating the same shyt throughout this thread with blinders on by not focusing on the right shyt. Only A fool keeps engaging in activity that bears no results.

Afrodroid

God bless Black People!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rio De Janeiro, BR
I am all for this but they should put stipulations on it so that people can't just run through the shyt in a year or some shyt. For instance, give every black person x amount of dollars but only if they keep passing courses on economics or financial literacy every few months or keep their credit at a certain level and a percentage of the money must be kept in a trust for x amount of time. It does no good to give everyone money if it goes down the drain in a short amount of time. Also, racist ass white people would never let this happen in the first place bc in their minds, black people are not oppressed or the victims of anything to begin with. Our solution is complete removal from the influence of these people. If that were to happen, reparations would not be necessary.

Agree, that's how i see it.

At this point, get the money but still live oppressed under a racist society is foolish, the exponential increase hatred of jealous cacs would make coexistence with them even more unbearable.

Real reparations = Total separation

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
when have I personally ever said reparations aren't feasible period? They aren't feasible until we (by voting) get enough people in office to vote for bills like this.
Man, cut it out. They’re only feasible in your mind until a Dem comes out and says they aren’t. It’s like I said, I applaud this man and I will vote for anyone who puts black issues to the forefront like he did, but stop being dishonest. You’re coming off just like the white liberals in that study who they say think blacks are stupid.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
All I’m waiting for is the Jamaican dude with the symbols as his name to come in here trying to champion this, as he’s been the main one telling people reparations aren’t feasible.

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Two reasons-
Because you're being dumb and wilfully ignorant to the economic and fiscal policies, in addition to the legal backing/support needed to implement to enforce them.

Repeating the same shyt throughout this thread with blinders on by not focusing on the right shyt. Only A fool keeps engaging in activity that bears no results.

lol what economic policies am I willfully ignorant to? I haven't even brought up economics in this thread at all except to address breh that said we need economic backing, which I AGREED with. So what are you saying?

:stopitslime:

Going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that maybe you have me confused with somebody else.