Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Age and where you from?
lol the usual suspects. You late. Now I'm just waiting for @poiter to come in the thread.

This myth has been debunked many times and YET people like you still repeat it on here. There is hardly if at all any trace of Caribbean sound in early Hip Hip. The sound that we do here is mostly funk and then maybe disco and jazz. Though all three are American influenced!

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
I don't but Malcolms father was a member of the UNIA started by MARCUS GARVEY (Jamaican).
The NOI leader today is Farrakhan (half Jamaican/Half bajan).:umad:

This list IS accurate and widely known info for years.
The other list your referring to is a list compiled by Mediafakeout, so we already know that it isn't credible.

You still didn't answer: How old are you?
im 28. But my age is irrelevant
Most of my knowledge comes from old heads that lived through this era
Were there people of caribbean descent that helped build the culture.... Sure
But they did so under the umbrella of African American culture/Music

And Farrakhan and the NOI got there teachings from an AA the honorable Elijah Muhammad :beli:

Caribbeans whole gimmick in this whole thing. Is to be on some Kanye west taylor swift not so fast dynamic. Lets just call it for what it is:beli:

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So a rapper being of carib descent isn't going to have some type of influence in they're music? Even if they are rapping in a Jamaican accent? Chatting Patois? on a reggae sample?

Yet theres NO influence?:francis:

Nobodies saying that it's a carrib sound! But to deny that it doesn't have carrib influences, carrib descent rappers, etc is being disingenous.
Yeah, I agree with that, but no one is denying that. What I'm denying is the fact that its the reason why NYC rap was different from the rest. And it wasn't the norm. If you notice, the rappers who did that was from brooklyn. I gre wup with these nikkas, I remember all of that. It was dancehall that started it, and the fact that a lot of west indians wasn't fukking with rap. I know I'm not the only old nikka from BK who remembers this shyt.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
I'm glad you posted this because it brings another point. In the late 80's early 90's, it was about black power in the 90's in NYC, and roots reggae helped a lot being that the dreads are about ital food, drinks, they smoke herb, and they had locks, so it was something people who didn't want to live the western way to emulate. Of course it would effect some of the music, but again you can't ignore the tons of music that wasn't like that.

I feel the reason why NYC was separate from the rest was because we thought we the shyt. You want the newest, and best clothes, you go to NYC. You want to party all day, you go to NYC. I used to go down south, and everyone worshiped you because you was from NYC. We just thought we was the shyt, but time proved us wrong.
My dude, what I'm trying to say is in the 80s/90s NY , every other song was Jamaican/Reggae influenced. Whether it was patois/samples/ etc.

Some AA"s don't recognize it, but Brahs with Carrib roots will be able to recognize it.
Even today, you look at Drake and see that he's heavily influenced by Carrib AS WELL as down south music.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
My dude you missing the point! I'm pointing out the carrib influences in 80s/90s hip hop.

You're talking after the fact

[quote It was ALWAYS there.[/quote]

If it wasn't there at it's inception, how could it "always" be there?:dwillhuh: Just to repeat what I said before

Exactly .... sometimes I question why I even come to The Booth :snoop:

It didn't....dancehall and rap are cousins through older American roots. If anything HipHop influenced what became modern dancehall. As I once said...

I do notice in modern dancehall (1981 on) they started flowing with on beat syncopation whereas the original toasting they had (Uroy) was just random fragments with no real steady syncopation.

early jamaican toasting style

Supercat basically hints at it here

Super Cat was saying specifically that Rappers Delight was HUGE in Jamaica.

@2:23

shouts to @The Ruler 09 for posting that.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
im 28. But my age is irrelevant
Most of my knowledge comes from old heads that lived through this era
Were there people of caribbean descent that helped build the culture.... Sure
But they did so under the umbrella of African American culture/Music

And Farrakhan and the NOI got there teachings from an AA the honorable Elijah Muhammad :beli:

Caribbeans whole gimmick in this whole thing. Is to be on some Kanye west taylor swift not so fast dynamic. Lets just call it for what it is:beli:
It's NOT an AA vs Carrib thing,

It's showing the unity! Age does matter. 28 is still too young to have lived through 90s NY hip hop. You were a baby when groups like ATCQ was getting play and at the peak.
I'm mostly referring to NY hip hop before like lets say 96...

Also Elijah Muhammad was a member of Marcus Garvey UNIA. See what I mean? Unity.
No Willie Lynch divide and conquer my dude.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My dude, what I'm trying to say is in the 80s/90s NY , every other song was Jamaican/Reggae influenced. Whether it was patois/samples/ etc.

Some AA"s don't recognize it, but Brahs with Carrib roots will be able to recognize it.
Even today, you look at Drake and see that he's heavily influenced by Carrib AS WELL as down south music.
Now, i don't agree with this. A lot BROOKLYN rap was like that, and that was in the mid 90's with groups like Smif'n'wessun, and Black Moon, Krs-one(bronx/brooklyn,flatbush) and busta rhymes(east flatbush). Most of NYC didn't sound like that, but that dancehall influnece is what separated bootcamp from the rest. It wasn't normal, unless you was from brooklyn. I remember when I knew rap was starting to grow, because I saw a dread in flatbush in a 1988 maxima blasting "the rulers back"(Slick Rick). That's when I knew shyt was slowly changing. It still took a while, but by the mid 90's when hot97 became the norm, then I saw everyone playing rap. In the 80's it was not normal to see west indians playing rap, unless they were kids because they grew up with an American style.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Now, i don't agree with this. A lot BROOKLYN rap was like that, and that was in the mid 90's with groups like Smif'n'wessun, and Black Moon, Krs-one and busta rhymes. Most of NYC didn't sound like that, but that dancehall influnece is what separated bootcamp from the rest. It wasn't normal, unless you was from brooklyn. I remember when I knew rap was starting to grow, because I saw a dread in flatbush in a 1988 maxima blasting "the rulers back"(Slick Rick). That's when I knew shyt was slowly changing. It still took a while, but by the mid 90's when hot97 became the norm, then I saw everyone playing rap. In the 80's it was not normal to see west indians playing rap, unless they were kids because they grew up with an American style.
lol see, i forgot to include slick rick on the list.

What i'm saying is all of these artist had at least one single on the radio with a heavy Jamaican/reggae influence during that era. If not a single, they DEF had a track like that on the album.

What I'm also saying is many of these rappers mentioned are of Carrib descent as well. That is going to influence the way you make music.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Hip hop was not caribbean influenced in any way, shape, or form.
Stop trying to add yourselves to the narrative...your heritage is not part of the art form outside of emulation, collaboration, and somebody's dna. That's it.
Another extremely accurate post:wow:

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
You're talking after the fact

[quote It was ALWAYS there.

If it wasn't there at it's inception, how could it "always" be there?:dwillhuh: Just to repeat what I said before

It didn't....dancehall and rap are cousins through older American roots. If anything HipHop influenced what became modern dancehall. As I once said...

early jamaican toasting style

Supercat basically hints at it here[/QUOTE]
Caribbean roots of hip hop to be explored

Because Afrika Bambaataa, grandmaster flash, AND kool herc ALL have carribbean roots.

You gotta remember AT FIRST it wasn't "cool" to be of carrib descent. Many used to deny their Carrib heritage. Like how haitians used to deny being haitian in miami at first. Now look at them today.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly. Hip Hop is NOT just african american culture. Its Afram and Carribean culture. You can not separate the two. I'm 31 years old. Born and raised in NY(Jamaican parents) and later moved to Miami (also influenced by reggae dancehall. Luke is Jamaican. It's also a fact that miami bass music influenced ATL beats/instrumentals.)

NY= More of the Reggae/Ragga/Rasta influence
Miami = More of the dancehall influence.
I see you know a little something, but you're mixing up everything to come to a conclusion that isn't true.

NY rap was influenced by James Brown. It was Marley Marl who started the trend. Then It became Jazz. Again only a few did the west indian samples, and most of those were black pwer groups because reggae was based on that. Plus, Dancehall was just starting to pop, and it was about being new, and different. I'm telling from someone who was there, and lived it. I still have a stonelove classh from the early 90's on tape. shyt was popping. I have no bias, just telling the truth.

As far as luke, his style came from the Bajan music being that a lof of people from the Bahamas was the norm there. He did like the bass from Jamaican music, so that did influence his style. As far as his sound influeincing ATl, that is a half truth. The real reason why it connected more to ATL, then NYC was because we already did that electronic, fast style in the early to mid 80's, it got played out to us. Also, coke was big in ATL, and Miami, so they wanted something fast, and got the girls freaky. Notice how when coke, and crack was the shyt in NYC, the music sounded fast, and as soon as that got corny, and weed was still the thing to smoke, the music got more slower, and intorspective, int he late 80's-90s. The drugs were effecting the music.