Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
@Blessup I am your father

In the late 1950s deejay toasting was developed by Count Machuki.[2] He conceived the idea from listening to disc jockeys on American radio stations. He would do African American jive over the music while selecting and playing R&B music. Deejays like Count Machuki working for producers would play the latest hits on traveling sound systems at parties and add their toasts or vocals to the music. These toasts consisted of comedy, boastful commentaries, half-sung rhymes, rhythmic chants, squeals, screams and rhymed storytelling.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Grandmaster Flash BORN in Barbados
Grandmaster Flash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Africa Bambaataa is of Carrib descent as well. This nikka name is Donovon. lol thats obvious.

We already know where cool herc is from.
If you really want to know the history of rap from people who were there in the beginning, you need to watch the videos on this channel:
Michael Waynetv

I even quoted a Krs-one line about Jamaicans not liking rap, but you just ignored it. I don't know what to tell you. I was there in the 80's and 90's, yet you ignore most of what I posted. Let's see if you ignore what the people who was there in the beginning say.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
You must be upset that y'all only contribution to music is derived from AMERICAN R&B.
"Toasting" = emulating AMERICAN deejays talking jive talk over the air.
The little shyt y'all folks made still came from us.
I guess reggae is original because y'all added some "mento" "riddim" to already written R&B standards from the 40s and 50s...riiiiiiiiiiiiiight?
Y'all didn't create hip hop. You didn't contribute to it. It has nothing to do with your home island. Incorporating dancehall "styling" after....modern dancehall emulated rap and took the singing out of the delivery, right?
Don't ask me anything about my personal life trying to hype your people up. Y'all get taken to task EVERY DAY.
Stop trying to rewrite history, you weren't there....I wasn't, either.
No vaseline :wow:

Daps
Reppin
@Blessup
Stop trying to write yourselves into our history to make up for the fact y'all got your main form of music from imitating us.

Real Hip Hop History …1960's.. While many Bronx teenagers were doing mainstream type dances (the twist, the jerk) The teenage Black Spades created their own sub culture, their own dance 1967 -1974…mimicking james brown's song soul power, the Black Spades would shout "Spade Power" while forming a circle in the middle of a party..The Black Spades would then start to stomp the floors and do wild flips and spins during the breakdown parts of songs….Doing innovative dance during the breakdown parts of songs became a trend around the Bronx…As a immigrant to the united states kool herc analyzed this new bronx street dance culture…kool herc became a deejay and began to only play the breakdown parts of songs, extending the breakdown parts of the songs for hours…making the breakdown, longer…Soon the younger generations, 1974-1978 teenagers like the "nikka twins", clark kent, james bond, sha sha and tricksy began to drop down and do dance moves on the floor…soon this became a trend as teenagers would focus on floor moves while the breakdown parts of the song was playing…These teenagers focusing on floor moves became known as "break boys" (b-boys).. "Breakdance" was born 1974/1975 …In the Soundview area of the Bronx, Mario (One of the Original Black Spade leaders) formed his own B-Boy crew called Chuck City…afrika bambaataa formed a B-Boy crew called the Zulu Kings…At 21:27 Mike G. and Cholly Rock teach about how it was back in 1975-1978 when "breakdance" first started.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
You nikkas can google your hearts out. You can literally find ANYTHING on the internet to support a narrative (taught @ODOT META a new word in the other thread lol). I even see a thread on the coli suggesting that CACS started rhyming/hip hop at first.

The FACTS are:

Hip Hop in America
Caribbean roots of hip hop to be explored

Hip Hops Founding Fathers are ALL of Caribbean descent. 2 being born in the Carib. Plus the majority of golden era"artist, and one of the GOATS all being of caribbean descent. These are facts.

You nikkas give it up. At this point the reaching is hilarious. Caribbean nikkas FOUNDED hip hop.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Yeah, I agree with that, but no one is denying that. What I'm denying is the fact that its the reason why NYC rap was different from the rest. And it wasn't the norm. If you notice, the rappers who did that was from brooklyn. I gre wup with these nikkas, I remember all of that. It was dancehall that started it, and the fact that a lot of west indians wasn't fukking with rap. I know I'm not the only old nikka from BK who remembers this shyt.

Yeah I remember this too. A lot of Jamaicans would look down on AA's & the culture; especially in the 80's & 90's. Also there was a time it wasn't cool to be Jamaican & a lot of people used to hide the fact that their parents were from there.

Daps
Reppin
@Blessup you're emotional and you lost.
We came with facts, cited facts, articles, interviews from people that were THERE and are still here, including some of the founders. Speaking. I watched that documentary.
How about you?
Hip hop is not Jamaican music.
If anything, all jamaican music is derived from African American influences...and y'all didn't have the radio signaling power to influence anything about us musically.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Yeah I remember this too. A lot of Jamaicans would look down on AA's & the culture; especially in the 80's & 90's. Also there was a time it wasn't cool to be Jamaican & a lot of people used to hide the fact that their parents were from there.
Yup.
In the late 1970s early 1980s when Jamaicans came by the thousands to NY, AA's used to look down on Jamaicans because most came poor and with NOTHING. By the mid to late 80s, when Jamaican's began to hustle, get jobs, make money, and move out of ghettos like the south bronx, they then began to look down on AA's with the reasoning being:
You and your fam been here all your life and still in the ghetto, we came with nothing from worst conditions, and moved on up.

I don't support any willie syndrome. I respect my AA and other Caribbean brothers.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
First of all, If you are of Carib descent it's going to influence everything in your life. Them being of Carrib descent and hearing carib music growing up in addition to american music is going to influence their music, style of dj'ing etc.

They were americanized..100% immersed in Afram culture

The Boogie-Down Bronx and Clive’s Kool New Accent

Although the number of West Indian residents grew steadily in New York during the late 60s and throughout the 70s, due in part to British anti-immigration acts passed in the 1960s and the U.S. 1965 Immigration Act, which abolished national origins as the basis for immigration legislation, Clive Campbell’s experience shows that a critical mass had not yet crystallized so that borough culture could reflect such “foreign” infusions as Jamaicanness or so that notions of blackness could include Anglo-Caribbean or Latin-Caribbean versions. Far from the aura of quasi-exotic cool that it carries today, being Jamaican in the Bronx during the 1970s carried such a stigma that some young immigrants found it better to conceal their backgrounds. Not only would Clive have to lose his accent to fit in among his new peers, he would have to lose his “hick” clothing as well, including the boots, or “roach killers,” for which he was ridiculed at school. Although Clive denies that he ever hid his Jamaicanness, he puts the situation in perspective by recalling a particularly telling example of how this harassment would play out in his new neighborhood: “At that time [the early 1970s], being Jamaican wasn’t fashionable. Bob Marley didn’t come through yet to make it more fashionable, to even give a chance for people to listen to our music. . . . I remember one time a guy said, ‘Clive, man, don’t walk down that way cause they throwing Jamaicans in garbage cans’ ” (Chang 72). Of course, for a young man in a working-class family, adopting a new accent was, in a certain sense, a lot easier than finding a new wardrobe.

Having honed something of an American accent by singing along to his parents’ records, Clive continued to mold his voice upon moving to the Bronx, tuning to the distinctively American enunciations of Cousin Brucie and Wolfman Jack as well as their African-American contemporaries, including Chuck Leonard and Frankie Crocker, on such stations as WWRL, New York’s most popular “black music” station at that time. Adjusting his accent so as to be intelligible to classmates, by the time he began attending classes and playing sports at Alfred E. Smith High School, few of his peers would have identified Clive as a Jamaican — or even thought about throwing him in a garbage can. Indeed, a prodigious weight-lifter, a track medalist, and a fierce basketball player who could dunk the ball with ease, Clive Campbell, standing over six feet tall at this point, would soon be crowned with the first part of his new name: “Herc,” short for Hercules.

wayneandwax.com » Kool Herc: A Biographical Essay

This is getting pathethic.

The 3 FOUNDING FATHERS (Grandmaster Flash, Kool Herc, Afrika Bambaataa) all of caribbean descent, 2 actually BORN in the carrib (Kool Herc, GM Flash)

They are not THE founding father's. There are numerous threads on the topic

yet we STILL have AA's in this thread denying Carib influence. :mjlol:

Keep lying to make yourself feel better.

The evidence clearly shows where HipHop came from and what were it's roots

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/fact...as-pimps-down-south.62884/page-2#post-8953169

Founding Fathers Documentary: Hip Hop Did Not Start in the Bronx
[/quote]

To be sure, there were all kinds of mobile jocks in New York in the early 70′s. Hands down, no questions. I’ve always asked the Bronx cats that I’ve interviewed this one important question, “Yo, what impact did the Jamaican sound systems have on ya’ll?”

Everybody from Toney Tone to Kool Herc to Bambaataa said: “None, none at all. They weren’t a part of our thing. They did their own thing.”
Click to expand...​

The one time I interviewed Kool Herc I asked him about the Jamaican sound systems in the Bronx and he acknowledged knowing a few of them, but said that they had no influence or impact whatsoever.
[/quote]​
Founding Fathers Documentary: Hip Hop Did Not Start in the Bronx - Hip-Hop and Politics

MnI2tZq.jpg

MnI2tZq.jpg

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
We came with facts, cited facts, articles, interviews from people that were THERE and are still here, including some of the founders. Speaking. I watched that documentary.
How about you?
If anything, all jamaican music is derived from African American influences...and y'all didn't have the radio signaling power to influence anything about us musically.

See below:
You nikkas can google your hearts out. You can literally find ANYTHING on the internet to support a narrative (taught @ODOT META a new word in the other thread lol). I even see a thread on the coli suggesting that CACS started rhyming/hip hop at first.

The FACTS are:

Hip Hop in America

Hip Hops Founding Fathers are ALL of Caribbean descent. 2 being born in the Carib. Plus the majority of golden era"artist, and one of the GOATS all being of caribbean descent. These are facts.

You nikkas give it up. At this point the reaching is hilarious. Caribbean nikkas FOUNDED hip hop.

Your just being pathetic at this point. Only on the coli.com would deny caribbean influence in hip hop, when ALL 3 FOUNDING FATHERS are Caribbean.
SMH. you confused and you butt hurt. Look at your post count. Look at your hair my nikka. It's influenced by Jamaican Rasta culture. Get lost.

Blessup

Souljah inna Jah Army
Daps
Reppin
Jah Movements
Again since nikkas aren't getting the point. Spamming with the thread with these long ass copy and paste articles supporting a false narrative.

The FACTS are:

Hip Hop in America

Close thread/

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
How about you?

This is something they will disregard while trying to push they created hip hop narrative