Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps
I remember as a kid my dad saying he noticed black folks in the northeast dont acknowledge each other as much we do in other parts of the country.

He hypothesized it was because of the high amount of Caribbeans in the area.

Thread is interesting

We first based everything on speculation, now we go by data.

See the database/ search engine:

African American History Timeline •

The Great Migration (1910-1970)

The Evolution of New York City’s Black Neighborhoods!

illu-mollenkopf-table-1-57727.jpg

illu-mollenkopf-table-2-6fd54.jpg

The Evolution of New York City’s Black Neighborhoods

Displacement, Demobilization, and Democracy: Current Eviction and Historic Dispossession in Richmond, Virginia

Throughout it’s nearly 400-year history, New York City’s demography has been characterized by an ever-changing series of immigration waves, coming from all corners of the globe.

The graphic below shows how these waves of immigration have varied over time. The circles represent each group’s share of New York City’s foreign-born population in the given year.

nyc-immigration-flows1.png

Where Do New Yorkers Come From? - Metrocosm

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Throughout it’s nearly 400-year history, New York City’s demography has been characterized by an ever-changing series of immigration waves, coming from all corners of the globe.

The graphic below shows how these waves of immigration have varied over time. The circles represent each group’s share of New York City’s foreign-born population in the given year.

nyc-immigration-flows1.png

Where Do New Yorkers Come From? - Metrocosm

the African part is a bit misleading...there were no african "immigrants" in those pre-civil war years, those were slaves

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps
the African part is a bit misleading...there were no african "immigrants" in those pre-civil war years, those were slaves
That's correct, but they do show that. You need to hover over the graphic for more information, to show the specific origin of the group. My bad, I should have made that clear in that post.

I took a screen shot.

VGbVZRIw_o.png

Last edited:

truth2you

All Star
Daps
just asking cause most of their rappers seem to be from an island
That’s modern rappers, but Miami didn’t really have rappers, they were still into the dj thing when rappers started blowing up. That’s why Trick Daddy is considered the father of Miami rap, he was the first rapper in Miami to be from Miami. 2 live crew rappers were from NYC/Rochester, and the dj was from L.A.. he did all the production. Like was from Miami but he was just the business man in the group

Florida came into the rap game late. And when the country started changing into large nonwhite immigrants, so that’s why the rappers that represent now are of West Indian background, a lot of og Miami people left to go to Atlanta or other places

it’s the same with NYC, the rappers now have a West Indian background cause a lot of the og Americans left to go down south or just out of nyc

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
That’s modern rappers, but Miami didn’t really have rappers, they were still into the dj thing when rappers started blowing up. That’s why Trick Daddy is considered the father of Miami rap, he was the first rapper in Miami to be from Miami. 2 live crew rappers were from NYC/Rochester, and the dj was from L.A.. he did all the production. Like was from Miami but he was just the business man in the group

Florida came into the rap game late. And when the country started changing into large nonwhite immigrants, so that’s why the rappers that represent now are of West Indian background, a lot of og Miami people left to go to Atlanta or other places

it’s the same with NYC, the rappers now have a West Indian background cause a lot of the og Americans left to go down south or just out of nyc

facts.....the modern demo shift skews perceptions from the 1970s/1980s and creates ahistoric realities/perceptions in both regions

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
That's correct, but they do show that. You need to hover over the graphic for more information, to show the specific origin of the group. My bad, I should have made that clear in that post.

I took a screen shot.

VGbVZRIw_o.png

Africans started coming in larger numbers in the 2010s; in the charts I'm about to post below, you can see West Indian population increase slowly in the 1990s but heavily in the 2000- 2010s

5rSLr7F.png

Southern Aframs were still migrating to NYC at a higher rate than foreign blacks during this time too

EKc6hXf.png

This is when the tide changed

5aBKJcr.png

Now you have a bigger African element

fe9z0g4.png

TkjFUkT.png

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@IllmaticDelta, Indeed Coke La Rock stated that he’s from the South, as did Sha Rock.

That’s at least two founders / pioneers who I’ve heard them say this themselves.

Sha-Rock - Wikipedia
Coke La Rock - Wikipedia

Enjoy,

Off topic but at 43:15 (talking about Bronx River and Baambatta.Zulu Nation), she hits on something I spoke on before about how you couldn't/wouldn't go to certain parts of the Bronx to see and experience early HipHop unless you had a "pass".....this is part of the reason Herc became so visible in the West Bronx because apparently, the gangs didn't have a stronghold like did where Disco King Mario and Baam came from which was dominated by the Black Spades

I spoke on this before

repost

Kool Herc got over credited because younger teens (the people who would credit him later) who lived outside of his area (West Bronx) were too scared to go places like Bronxdale and Bronxriver or they were too young

1*o8walHUUfQOd_xF9V-2dSg.jpeg

this old head from herc's side of the Bronx talks about how he didn't know too much about brondxdale/soundview/bronx river, pioneers because those areas were OFF LIMITS if you were an out-of- towner/only traveled on the west side of the bronx; so he first only knew of Herc

Jazzy Jay who later became the DJ for Afrika Baambatta says that Bronxdale was forbidden territory

you couldn't go in there unless you had gang support

Last edited:

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

That probably explains why all these bk drill rapper accents are thick as hell.

Some of them cats barely sound like they from America lowkey lol.

Especially compared to old school ny rappers like jay, nas biggie (carribean decent but he mainly grew up around ADOS people) m.o.p. wu tang etc. Where they have a new york accent but it's still heavily AAVE influenced.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
That probably explains why all these bk drill rapper accents are thick as hell.

Some of them cats barely sound like they from America lowkey lol.

Especially compared to old school ny rappers like jay, nas biggie (carribean decent but he mainly grew up around ADOS people) m.o.p. wu tang etc. Where they have a new york accent but it's still heavily AAVE influenced.

It should be noted that the West Indian rappers from Florida sound more "country" than the ADOS of Southern backgrounds from the North East that you mentioned like Nas, jay, wutang etc...