Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
The NY population that birthed the cultural backdrop to the early days of HipHop was overwhelmingly Southern in origin

vAT4qS9.png

VofxMb5.png

M1WVKVK.png

dbZFqon.png

LuwGygF.png

IxSvzp5.png

75GXBLO.png

eLtHemZ.png

this why herc immersed himself in Afram dj club/culture and playlists

Eb4HUEN.jpg

AVJcoA4.jpg

and basically "Aframnized" his Jamaican heritage to fit in

jgdlWaY.jpg

...you can hear this straight from herc's childhood friends

the perceived disconnect of NYC to other regions as I said before, is based on the ancestral stock of NY Aframs (mainly upper south) vs most other places outside of the North East being populated with heavy gulf coast Afram stocks. This extends to HipHop music too: There is no real Upper South HipHop style outside of GoGo (pretty much live funk w/ call and response raps) music and the Pharell & Timbo (very influential in bringing southern bounce feel to mainstream) sounds. The Deep South is where all the innovative Southern HipHop came from and that's pretty much all Gulf Coast.

58efbcdbedaa6f0c9631eecb026be595.png

the black people in the midwest and west coast are heavily rooted in the same places that produced all of the distinct and innovative Southern sounds, which allows to relate in a way that NYC blacks wouldn't as much.

related thread

Why Was Crucial Conflict Trying To Pretend That Chicago Was The Country?!

I just wanna say, I always appreciate your breakdowns on the history and origins of black music :salute:

truth2you

All Star
Daps
That probably explains why all these bk drill rapper accents are thick as hell.

Some of them cats barely sound like they from America lowkey lol.

Especially compared to old school ny rappers like jay, nas biggie (carribean decent but he mainly grew up around ADOS people) m.o.p. wu tang etc. Where they have a new york accent but it's still heavily AAVE influenced.
They sound like regular NY people to me, just an updated version. The ones with accents still ain’t new if you grew up in areas like Flatbush or crown heights cause those are the first places Caribbean’s come in the states. They went to school with us, got cool, and started sounding like black Americans but with an accent. Majah Hype is a perfect example!

But, even today a lot of people are still mixed with black American, even though some of these blogs or fans leave that part out. I seen this on here with “Envy Cain”!

People were saying he’s PR, then naming other “Caribbean” rappers, but I seen an interview with him and he said his other half was black American and how he spent summers in Georgia. I gave the link, and nobody even responded. shyt was sad

I think it’s probably around 40% black American when you consider a lot of us have kids with all other groups

Black Americans in NYC are more likely to be with other groups, then others so you will see people mixed with PR,DR,Jamaican,Haitian,etc who are technically black American as well

Last edited:

truth2you

All Star
Daps
It should be noted that the West Indian rappers from Florida sound more "country" than the ADOS of Southern backgrounds from the North East that you mentioned like Nas, jay, wutang etc...
Our influence is gonna be more seen in Southern rappers, even those of West Indian descent, cause the south let you know you’re black, being “exotic” just excludes you more

The south don’t have the money that the north has when it comes to black people so Caribbean’s still were aware that they had to do some integration. This is why a lot of Caribbean desecent people have real heavy southern accents. I was watching “love, and hip hop”, and Ace Hood’s mother sound like my Aunts, deep southern accent, but she’s Haitian

A lot are mixed as well, it would be the wisest thing to do. Remember, Miami Beach used to be a “Sundown town” until the mid 1970’s, iirc
Then the white Cubans don’t view West Indians as their Caribbean brothers, they just ******s. Not all of course, but enough to force smart blacks to unite in culture in the Miami area

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
I've noticed a lot lately that people are saying that hip-hop was created by the Caribbean cats and not African-Americans

first off not true, it was created in The Bronx

I'm not gonna write a long ass post but I'm tired of other people taking credit for our artforms

I don't have anything against Caribbeans at all, but this whole thing is ridiculous, yes they made contributions to hip-hop but to say they STARTED IT is a reach

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Our influence is gonna be more seen in Southern rappers, even those of West Indian descent, cause the south let you know you’re black, being “exotic” just excludes you more

The south don’t have the money that the north has when it comes to black people so Caribbean’s still were aware that they had to do some integration. This is why a lot of Caribbean desecent people have real heavy southern accents. I was watching “love, and hip hop”, and Ace Hood’s mother sound like my Aunts, deep southern accent, but she’s Haitian

They sound Southern because, contrary to modern perceptions, Florida (including South Florida) has always been the South.

e2lMUta.jpg

jj6ixA1.jpg

The longest/oldest ADOS and West Indian cohabitation is ADOS and Bahamians, and they were surrounded by Southern ADOS which is why people like Trina and Antrel Rolle (Bahamian) sound so Southern

A lot are mixed as well, it would be the wisest thing to do. Remember, Miami Beach used to be a “Sundown town” until the mid 1970’s, iirc
Then the white Cubans don’t view West Indians as their Caribbean brothers, they just ******s. Not all of course, but enough to force smart blacks to unite in culture in the Miami area

speaking of Cubans: Even Pitbull has a Southern accent

truth2you

All Star
Daps
They sound Southern because, contrary to modern perceptions, Florida (including South Florida) has always been the South.

e2lMUta.jpg

jj6ixA1.jpg

The longest/oldest ADOS and West Indian cohabitation is ADOS and Bahamians, and they were surrounded by Southern ADOS which is why people like Trina and Antrel Rolle (Bahamian) sound so Southern

speaking of Cubans: Even Pitbull has a Southern accent

No doubt, i was explaining why

if it just them being in the south, they still could have kept their accents or just sounded more neutral, a lot of people in the south don’t have strong southern accents

From my experience, the deeper your accent, the less you traveled to other states or you don’t deal with others outside your group that much

In the south, especially before the 2000’s, they didn’t really have the opportunity to be totally distinct from black Americans cause your life would be much harder then the north cause the racism is in your face, ESPECIALLY MIAMI CAUSE ITS THE DEEP SOUTH. It ain’t a Republican state for no reason!

In the north it’s disguised, and because there are so many nationalities, you can forget racism is still thriving, and that allows separation to happen, and in turn you lose power, overtime

This is why all these “little” towns are dying and just an image like “little Italy”, “little China”.

It’s because, the more people start to integrate into their own little bubbles without having a connection to a larger culture then theirs, they eventually get ate up by capitalism, and the winners in that game is the one with the money. If you’re not from a wealthy group, you need a large group to help offset that lack of wealth

truth2you

All Star
Daps
Let me show proof on my last paragraph

This will ultimately mean places like Flatbush will be the New “little South America” cause now all those latins that are in the background cause of citizen issues can now make demands that citizens can. And its over 800,000 people

Miami is next being that it’s becoming the new tech hub!

All black people had to do was unite, and the fight from the 1970’s could have made NYC the place for justice with black people. Instead It became all about getting the bag, and where you’re people are from, it’s a wrap for all blacks people now as far as being heard in the political arena in NYC!

Council OKs bill to give non-citizens the vote in local elections

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They sound like regular NY people to me, just an updated version. The ones with accents still ain’t new if you grew up in areas like Flatbush or crown heights cause those are the first places Caribbean’s come in the states. They went to school with us, got cool, and started sounding like black Americans but with an accent. Majah Hype is a perfect example!

But, even today a lot of people are still mixed with black American, even though some of these blogs or fans leave that part out. I seen this on here with “Envy Cain”!

People were saying he’s PR, then naming other “Caribbean” rappers, but I seen an interview with him and he said his other half was black American and how he spent summers in Georgia. I gave the link, and nobody even responded. shyt was sad

I think it’s probably around 40% black American when you consider a lot of us have kids with all other groups

Black Americans in NYC are more likely to be with other groups, then others so you will see people mixed with PR,DR,Jamaican,Haitian,etc who are technically black American as well

So are we also including PR, DR, and Cubans in the West Indian conversation?

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why not? They are, just latino ones like Haitians (DR is literally on the same island).

I know they are region wise. But for the sake of this thread it seemed as if we were talking about the non Latino influence.