Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
This KRS convo about the "Bridge Is Over"

puts the statement Fat Joe said years ago, into more context

both put into context how/why Dancehall was crafted the way it was to crossover by the early 1990s

which all leads back to why Herc couldn't play any Reggae in the first place

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Man, did this not age well :russ:

Not at all :mjlol: I did end up learning who grandmaster caz, disco king mario, etc. were because I made the thread and posters like @IllmaticDelta dropped the knowledge though. Also learned more in the years that followed after I took a college course w/ Davey D.

Ironically, low key my perception that the Caribbean influence on hip hop was stronger than it is started after I saw KRS One speak in Oakland at Edna Brewer middle school about the origins of Hip Hop when I was 17 lol, 100% took his word like gospel at the time. I made this thread like 4 years after that lol.

Last edited:

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
Not at all :mjlol: I did end up learning who grandmaster caz, disco king mario, etc. were because I made the thread and posters like @IllmaticDelta dropped the knowledge though. Also learned more in the years that followed after I took a college course w/ Davey D.

Ironically, low key my perception that the Caribbean influence on hip hop was stronger than it is started after I saw KRS One speak in Oakland at Edna Brewer middle school about the origins of Hip Hop when I was 17 lol, 100% took his word like gospel at the time. I made this thread like 4 years after that lol.
actually breh you were correct and KRS was the first MC to incorporate this

disco had heavy carib influences so all this "where is the reggae rap songs" is disingenous

*edit* the gospel of hiphop is by KRS, im sure he touches on it

also davey d aint the same breh, hes some sort of trump supporting drake stan now

:sadcam:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY

disco had heavy carib influences so all this "where is the reggae rap songs" is disingenous

also davey d aint the same breh, hes some sort of trump supporting drake stan now

no he was emphatically INCORRECT.

Like I said, just looking at the last 2 to 3 years alone, the op couldnt be more wrong

And there are no "heavy"caribbean influences in disco

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps

Why would KRS even say this and make this claim? What evidence did he provide

Daps
Reppin
NULL
NYC is BOOM BAP..BREAK BEATS . LYRICS/FLOW ..FREESTYLES WITH BARS N PUNCHLINES AND STORYTELLING JAWNTS..PLUS SLANG N SWAG CRAZY

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
no he was emphatically INCORRECT.

Like I said, just looking at the last 2 to 3 years alone, the op couldnt be more wrong

And there are no "heavy"caribbean influences in disco
america has been built by immigrants

i wonder what changed in the last few years
Why would KRS even say this and make this claim? What evidence did he provide
the irony of a self titled omnipresence asking for evidence

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps
america has been built by immigrants

i wonder what changed in the last few years

the irony of a self titled omnipresence asking for evidence

Indeed because my omnipresence I’m making this statement, as it seems odd. But yeah, Caribbean have been in the USA mainland since the reconstruction era.

As I know one of the base players from the group Fatback Band (King Tim III). I recall he was from Barbados.

And as I’m in the car I’m listening to automated generated playlist, Mandrill’s Fat City Strut popped up.

In the end there’s a break reminiscent of the Caribbean.

Anyway, disco and funk came from Jazz, this was explained by Nile Rogers. He gave examples of the chord progression etc.

But from where did KRS get this idea?

Last edited:

TheRtist

Superstar
Daps
Indeed because my omnipresence I’m making this statement, as it seems odd. But yeah, Caribbean have been in the USA mainland since the reconstruction era.

As I know one of the base players from the group Fatback Band (King Tim III). I recall he was from Barbados.

And as I’m in the car I’m listening to automated generated playlist, Mandrill’s Fat City Strut popped up.

In the end there’s a break reminiscent of the Caribbean.

Anyway, disco and funk came from Jazz, this was explained by Nile Rogers. He gave examples of the chord progression etc.

But from where did KRS get this idea?

all modern music came from Jazz

Jazz was the classical killer.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

:comeon:

Ish Gibor

Omnipresence
Daps
all modern music came from Jazz

Jazz was the classical killer.
That’s not in particular true, but it’s a fact that most of modern music in the western world has been influenced by Jazz, the way it is structured.

We see more and more Celtic influences being promoted and marketed in modern music.

In fact I make a thread on this topic of Jazz.

Last edited: