Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

truth2you

All Star
Daps
1*0NnCNPE3rbqyvgNugTOeng.png

breh
i’m like the oldest nikka on here and I was born in raised in the Bronx so I definitely know what I’m talking about

as a very young kid my older aunts / cosins took me to block parties in the late 70’s early 80’s
I saw DJ Red Alert spin at East Chester projects
I saw Flash spin at Olinville park
I saw Bam spin at his Bronx River Projects

all that other stuff you said I’ve basically answered in my previous post to Big Lysol

What I find mind blowing is yall nikkaz acting like people from the Caribbean aren't BLACK

:mindblown::mindblown::mindblown:

finally, the ONLY THING THATS SAD
is your lack of understanding
spread division ? allowing lies to grow ?

WHAT da hell is you talking bout, shyt like this is why i see how Donald Trump became president (this newer generation believes in whatever they want to believe :and thats what sad:smile:
we have another "retired skj" who just wants to tell people what he's seen like he is the only one!:comeon:

You may have saw them dj in the Bronx, but I was a part of hip hop as well, and seen it, from all aspects, including the streets!

My nikka, none of that has to do with anything about the subject. Also, they weren't the beginning, the early 80's was the second generation of hip hop. I can tell you don't really know hip hop history, but you won't admit it, so I'm gonna let you live.

And you saying they ares till black is exactly my point is why black americans has let this shyt slide, we were on that black power shyt when others weren't, this is why they see no problem to just make up shyt, then hipe you believe it which you are doing. All this proof, even from the peoples mouth, but you still ignore it, shyt is crazy as hell to me. It aint no war with caribbeans, just want the truth to be told.

Your pride won't let you learn something you didn't know, and be happy for it. Peace.

Last edited:

truth2you

All Star
Daps
this particular question you keep asking makes no sense ... because the elements that birthed this culture came from the environment around them “Boogie Down Bronx”

The facts are the facts and you can’t rewrite history as I already posted the top 3 pioneers of the greatest culture ever created

1. Clive Campbell born in Jamaica from his Jamaican parents
  2. Lance Taylor born in the Bronx from Jamaican father & Bajan mother
  3. Joseph Saddler born in Barbados from his Bajan’s parents

that shyt above ain’t a coincidence - breh
to ignore the Caribbean influence into the culture is simply flat out asinine
Seriously, why are you like this?

I'm not trying to argue with you, but I can't understand why don't you just give a real answer or just concede that you thought wrong for all these years?

The facts are this:
1-Herc said himself he was a country boy from Jamaicathat had no style, so he had to become hip & americanized when he came to the Bronx. None of what he is known for came from Jamaica! He even said his sound system was emulating American sound systems, not Jamaican sound systems on Combat Jack show!

2-Lance taylor didn't tell anyone he was Bajan until it became cool in the mid-late 80's when dancehall got big. If you go to "Michael wayne tv" on youtube "fat mike" says no one knew he was west indian, except someone who went to his house. Secondly, what did he do that came from the Caribbean that influenced his music or djing?

3-Grandmaster flash is the same, he never said it out loud that he was bajan, and none of that influenced his music. He like everyone else was from NYC, and had NYC culture. So, AGAIN, where did the caribbean influence his music?

And it is coincidence one you leave out the tons of other people who were Black americans who they copied. Herc copied Kool "dj" dee(black american) Bambatta copied disco king mario(black american), and flash copied Pete dj jones(black american).

You just don't know about music history, and repeating the folklore on hip hop that even the people you named are beefing over. Herc & flash are beefing over techniques(which they both got influence from disco dj's), and everyone is going at bamabatta for multiple reasons.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
this particular question you keep asking makes no sense ... because the elements that birthed this culture came from the environment around them “Boogie Down Bronx”

The facts are the facts and you can’t rewrite history as I already posted the top 3 pioneers of the greatest culture ever created

1. Clive Campbell born in Jamaica from his Jamaican parents
  2. Lance Taylor born in the Bronx from Jamaican father & Bajan mother
  3. Joseph Saddler born in Barbados from his Bajan’s parents

that shyt above ain’t a coincidence - breh
to ignore the Caribbean influence into the culture is simply flat out asinine

none of them are the 1st generation pioneers of hiphop...especially not baam and flash who came after 1974

herc was around in 1973 but after disco king mario, pete dj jones, dj kool dee, dj hollywood etc..

disco king mario

4392710766_6bc6ac21ef_z.jpg

according to Jazzy Jay

Do you remember the first jam you played at? What were the atmosphere and vibe of the jam?
We didn’t have much money to purchase the equipment back then, so we would salvage things from our neighborhood. One person would have a receiver, one person would have a speaker, one person would have an amp and another would have a turntable. We couldn’t even afford a mic, so we would usually plugged up our headphones in the mic jack to talk. It was real grassroots and completely amateur. The very first jam I played at was in either 1974 or 75, in Soundview at this spot called The Little Houses, which actually used to be Army barracks. So I just brought my equipment and set up there, because we could do that back then.

What were some of your favorite block parties and park jams in the 70s? Who threw them?
One of the things I always used to do back in the day was roll by Afrika Bambaataa’s crib. He used to play music and leave the windows wide open for everyone in Bronx River to hear. He would play music 24/7. So I would be doing tricks on my bike, while everyone else would be playing cards or dominos in the center of the projects. We would gather around to listen to Bam play out his window.

But as far as the block parties and park jams go, people like Disco King Mario, from Bronxdale Projects, Kool Dee, and this other cat from the Bronx River projects named Tyrone were the guys around my neighborhood doing the first block parties and park jams. Disco King Mario was the first dude I saw bringing out the big speakers, Kool Dee was the dude you would see playing at Bronx River Center and Tyrone was a bass guitarist who lived in the neighborhood.

Tyrone would set up his column head and he would plug up his Pioneer turntables to the column head to play records. One of his favorite records to play was The Blackbyrds “City Life” and “The Bus Stop” by BT Express. Bam used to come out with his crew do their little dances. They actually had the hood version of the Achy Breaky Heart that they called “The Bus Stop.” We were all doing this dance in the neighborhood at the time.

http://www.redbullbcone.com/en/blog/_/Disco+King+Mario

and kool dee are the ones who put baambatta on

straight from bam's mouth

pete dj jones is from the later 1960's and is the one taught disco djing to and put Flash on...and was one of the first 2 dj with 2 copies of the same record on 2 turntables

IMG_31283116554086.jpeg

quote-pete-dj-jones-was-the-first-person-that-i-saw-with-2-turntables-this-was-1972-kurtis-blow-62-25-47.jpg

usVfeda.jpg

JayQuan : Peace ...I don't know where to start....when did you start actually spinning 2 copies of the same record...and what kind of records were you working with ?

Pete Jones : Well it was around 69 or 70....stuff by James Brown , Peoples Choice , BB King , Johnny Taylor , Fatback Band...I have actually done production work for Fatback . ...People from their record label would see me spinning in the clubs and bring me records to rate......then I started producing for them .

JQ : What made you spin 2 copies of a record back in 69 ?

PJ : Well you know the best part of the record is the breakdown....what guys started calling the break or breakbeat. That was the part that got people dancing....so I would play that part continous . I had a mixer that had a cue ...so that you could hear the record on one turntable while the other one played . I would have 2 copies....usually a 45 (rpm) and a 3 minute song could get extended to 10 minutes. There weren't that many songs out , so if I had to Dj a party that lasted 3 hours ; I had to extend those breakdowns.

JQ : What kind of equipment were you working with ?

PJ : Sony Microphone mixers - Later a GLI 7000 Mixer - it was about the size of a TV . They didn't even have cross faders.

JQ: Who else was doing this sort of thing at this time ?

PJ : Grandmaster Flowers from Brooklyn , Maboya , Plumber....then Flash Herc and Bam came after them . Grandmaster Flowers was the best mixing Dj that I ever saw.....Flash was the fastest.

JQ : Who was the first person that you heard rap ?

PJ : Dj Hollywood .

JQ : Did you ever have any Emcees rhyme for you ?

PJ : Luvbug Starski....he was like a son....I took him off the streets and he worked in my club. Also JJ The Disco King and Kc The Prince Of Soul .

PETE DJ JONES

dj hollwood is the first hiphop/modern rapper period

^^^All before herc, baam and flash

truth2you

All Star
Daps
Didn't rapping get its influence from toasting which is from Jamaica?
Let me ask you, why do so many west indians on here keep ignoring truths when it is presented to them. This guy "king of nyc" can't even answer a simple question, and just gives the run around when asked to show & prove his point!

I grew up with west indians, and never went through any of this shyt, as far as proving a point and getting the run around, but obviously they still believed what they want because they are telling their kids this shyt, the lies are still being repeated, but even worse! I've seen this shyt constantly on here, this shyt is ridiculous with these people just ignoring facts. The only people I've seen do this are racists who just won't admit certain parts of history. I never thought I would see this with black people in the era of google!

Is the need to be recognized that important to them that they will just shyt on others history? Why is the self esteem so low?

By doing that, you just change so much facts that are important not only to black people, but to NYC, NYC changed the WORLD during that time. By saying it came from the Caribbean, you ignore the racism that created hip hop, you ignore the ingenuity it took to create hip hop, you ignore the skills it took that created hip hop, you ignore the way the people thought that gave rise to hip hop, you ignore the unification of different ethnicities that came with hip hop.

To me that is a big fukk YOU to all those people, which is why I can't just say "yeah, it came from the caribbean" just to appease people. I would not take anything away from Caribbeans, and they shouldn't take anything away from us. Plus, you can't rewrite history, the truth will eventually be told, like we are doing NOW!

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Morris Heights and Sedgwick Ave vibe-wise is very different from South BX. That area is a lot more African, Muslim, and Dominican. Not so much Ricans.

And most importantly, too many damn hills.[/QUOTEye
Morris Heights and Sedgwick Ave vibe-wise is very different from South BX. That area is a lot more African, Muslim, and Dominican. Not so much Ricans.

And most importantly, too many damn hills.

Yes, the demographics and topography are different. Another important difference is the architecture. Most of the buildings along the 4 and especially D train survived the arson wave of the 1970s, while Mott Haven, Melrose, Morrisania, etc. were mostly destroyed.

So in The West Bronx you see mostly street scenes like this. Old school New York vibe, rows of 6 story buildings, often many people chilling on the sidewalk, etc.

Google Maps

Google Maps

While the South Bronx is more like a mix of project towers and cheap looking rowhomes from the 80s to replace the burnt out buildings. And a lot of original buildings on the main roads like 138th st.

Google Maps

And there's even this weird shyt where they put a patch of Levittown in the middle of The Bronx.

Google Maps

It's evil what the landlords (and some tenants) did, displacing all those families (possibly killing people and pets as well) and burning down historic buildings.

An notable demographic change in The Bronx is the increase of Mexicans and Bengalis. I saw a Mexican bodega in Wakefield the other day and I was surprised. I knew there were a lot of them in the South Bronx, but they're pretty much everywhere now. And I knew Parkchester and Norwood had a lot of Bengalis but I hear they're spreading too.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
As for this hypothesis, I'm not sure if I agree. West Indians in NYC assimilate into AA culture very quickly, even the Indo-Caribbeans in many cases. You might find hints of Caribbean influence from some artists, but not to the extent where there's a disconnect in my opinion.

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
And if the "Kool-Herc created hip-hop thing" isn't actually true, then that would be some shyt because the city renamed a chunk of Sedgwick Avenue to "Hip-Hop Boulevard".

truth2you

All Star
Daps
You island nikkas are fukkin retarded man I swear, stubborn as shyt.
One thing I can give "king of nyc", is because he thinks correlation equals causation, he agrees that reggae, and Rastafarianism, comes from England, and Indians!

Bob Marley's Father was a white man from England, and Rastafarians praised Ganjah, which is an Indian term. Indians also see Ganjah as a sacred herb.

It's clear as day if it weren't for England, and Indians, Reggae, and Rastafraianism wouldn't exist, right @kingofnyc :troll:

How can people not see this?:mindblown:

truth2you

All Star
Daps
And if the "Kool-Herc created hip-hop thing" isn't actually true, then that would be some shyt because the city renamed a chunk of Sedgwick Avenue to "Hip-Hop Boulevard".
That's because people kept believing the lies, it went uncontested on a large scale, the internet has changed ALL of this. Plus, they did it to make money, we know this!

What I give Herc credit for, is he gave hip hop culture a place to grow. He is known to be the one who made a large segment of his parties to be dedicate to break beats, which are the cornerstone of hip hop music. That is all, but still very important. When people say stuff that has nothing to do with this fact, shows they really don't know about hip hop history. They are just fronting!

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
And how do you guys feel about the whole "Latinos created hip-hop" thing? I understand there were a lot of Ricans in The Bronx (and still are), but looking at almost all of the early hip-hop acts, it looks like it was all black people. There may have been Puerto Rican bboys and graffiti artists, but hip hop music itself seems like it was very much a black thing and not a "black and Latino" thing. And even then it would just be Puerto Ricans. Mexicans and Salvadorans definitely have no claim to being the creators of hip hop.

truth2you

All Star
Daps
And how do you guys feel about the whole "Latinos created hip-hop" thing? I understand there were a lot of Ricans in The Bronx (and still are), but looking at almost all of the early hip-hop acts, it looks like it was all black people. There may have been Puerto Rican bboys and graffiti artists, but hip hop music itself seems like it was very much a black thing and not a "black and Latino" thing. And even then it would just be Puerto Ricans, Mexicans and Salvadorans definitely have no claim to being the creators of hip hop.
its the same story!

People see how big it is NOW, and want to take some credit for it, so they use even the smallest wedge they can to open the doors to big lies. The problem is black americans just let it pass, and this is our downfall, but its really black americans from NYC or older ones who want to act like they know the history(from what I've seen), not all of us. We did it with every genre of music we created, and we are doing it with hip hop, BUT because of the internet the backlash against this can be heard for people all over the world to see. All they have to do is see the truth for themselves, and make the connection. It's happening because on that pigment markham's youtube page for "here comes the judge", people are admitting he was the beginning of modern rap. This is from all types of people all over the world. That netflix documentary played a big part! Props for the creators of that!

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
That's because people kept believing the lies, it went uncontested on a large scale, the internet has changed ALL of this. Plus, they did it to make money, we know this!

What I give Herc credit for, is he gave hip hop culture a place to grow. He is known to be the one who made a large segment of his parties to be dedicate to break beats, which are the cornerstone of hip hop music. That is all, but still very important. When people say stuff that has nothing to do with this fact, shows they really don't know about hip hop history. They are just fronting!
The myths and lies are so bad that even African Americans from all over the country actually believe that Hip Hop came from Jamaica. I myself once believed this until I got older and started to put the pieces together.

Even AA rappers like Jay Z and Snoop Dogg(even though he is from Cali where you can find some of Hip Hop and rap's DNA) are on record saying Hip Hop comes from Jamaica.

Something huge needs to be produced on a large scale reclaiming the culture for African Americans and debunking the Jamaican bullshyt.

truth2you

All Star
Daps
The myths and lies are so bad that even African Americans from all over the country actually believe that Hip Hop came from Jamaica. I myself once believed this until I got older and started to put the pieces together.

Even AA rappers like Jay Z and Snoop Dogg(even though he is from Cali where you can find some of Hip Hop and rap's DNA) are on record saying Hip Hop comes from Jamaica.

Something huge needs to be produced on a large scale reclaiming the culture for African Americans and debunking the Jamaican bullshyt.
I can say that the netflix documentary, and QdIII documentaries, does help change this narrative.

The netflix documenatry, has people all over the world learning about "here comes the judge" which can stop the false narrative because it came out in 1968, and there is no caribbean records like that in that era. Pigmeat Markham was not some unknown guy, black people all over the country knew him. My mother gave me the 45 in 1992, and that was what showed me rap is not new. The beat, and rhymes, were straight rap music.

I had that shyt on 45 ,and lost it!:mjcry:

Thank god for the internet!:blessed: