Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Let me ask you, why do so many west indians on here keep ignoring truths when it is presented to them. This guy "king of nyc" can't even answer a simple question, and just gives the run around when asked to show & prove his point!

I grew up with west indians, and never went through any of this shyt, as far as proving a point and getting the run around, but obviously they still believed what they want because they are telling their kids this shyt, the lies are still being repeated, but even worse! I've seen this shyt constantly on here, this shyt is ridiculous with these people just ignoring facts. The only people I've seen do this are racists who just won't admit certain parts of history. I never thought I would see this with black people in the era of google!

Is the need to be recognized that important to them that they will just shyt on others history? Why is the self esteem so low?

By doing that, you just change so much facts that are important not only to black people, but to NYC, NYC changed the WORLD during that time. By saying it came from the Caribbean, you ignore the racism that created hip hop, you ignore the ingenuity it took to create hip hop, you ignore the skills it took that created hip hop, you ignore the way the people thought that gave rise to hip hop, you ignore the unification of different ethnicities that came with hip hop.

To me that is a big fukk YOU to all those people, which is why I can't just say "yeah, it came from the caribbean" just to appease people. I would not take anything away from Caribbeans, and they shouldn't take anything away from us. Plus, you can't rewrite history, the truth will eventually be told, like we are doing NOW!

200w.gif

First of all I don’t even know where to start

I never said the hip-hop is a Caribbean thing nor did I ever hear anybody champion that

hip-hop is & alwayz well be a Bronx thing & all I’ve been saying is that the three most important pioneers of this culture all happen to be Caribbean

and you’re completely wrong the Internet doesn’t help find the truth the Internet helps delusional people find their own truths.... yall nikkaz are sounding like Alex Jones or FOXnews

truth2you

All Star
Daps
200w.gif

First of all I don’t even know where to start

I never said the hip-hop is a Caribbean thing nor did I ever hear anybody champion that

hip-hop is & alwayz well be a Bronx thing & all I’ve been saying is that the three most important pioneers of this culture all happen to be Caribbean

and you’re completely wrong the Internet doesn’t help find the truth the Internet helps delusional people find their own truths.... yall nikkaz are sounding like Alex Jones or FOXnews
you're a funny guy:umad:

If all you're saying is the important pioneers happen to be of caribbean descent, what is the point of bringing it up if it has nothing to do with the conversation?

Do you have tourette syndrome?:damn:

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
The netflix documenatry, has people all over the world learning about "here comes the judge" which can stop the false narrative because it came out in 1968, and there is no caribbean records like that in that era. Pigmeat Markham was not some unknown guy, black people all over the country knew him. My mother gave me the 45 in 1992, and that was what showed me rap is not new. The beat, and rhymes, were straight rap music.
I remember my grandmother bringing him up years ago. We were watching Yo! MTV Raps. Can't remember what artist was on but she said "that rap sound like that ol' Pigmeat" lol.
This was before the internet so I didn't really know who she was talking about until years later

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
also, I haven't seen any west indian explain why this is:sas2:...repost

Speaking of Krs-one, if you watch his episode on "Drink Champs" he said he brought the reggae/dancehall style to the bronx from when he was living in Flatbush, brooklyn, and used to puff with the dreads in the park. Now, If Caribbeans/Jamaicans were so large in the Bronx, why would have people never heard that style before? That area of Brooklyn had just gotten big with west indians due to white flight, and caribbeans coming in large droves around 1976, but it was still a mix of black americans as well, its just they took over the area as time went on, and were the first black immigrants, so you take notice of them. He even mentions this on the song "south bronx". "it was seventy-six to 1980 The dreads in Brooklyn was crazyYou couldn't bring out your set with no hip-hop Because the pistols would go". So ask yourself, why would Jamaicans hate rap, if they started it?

Watch all the videos on hip hop if you want to learn, but me & illmaticdelta have been constantly posting videos from this channel and people don't watch like that, they just want to argue. I'm still gonna link it AGAIN!:martin:

Michael Waynetv

fat joe who is from the 1970's south bronx basically confirmed that he never heard reggae being played like that even in the early to mid 1980s which would be odd if their numbers were anywhere near aframs

@1:28:00

In this recent interview with Fat Joe below, he was talking about Krs "Bridge Is Over" and said that was about the first time he heard Jamaican styled/flavor music and remember, he was street kid from the South Bronx and that was already in the mid 1980s....THIS IS VERY TELLING!!!

:skip:

Last edited:

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
1-40, Brooklyn but went all over the city, and did this at a young age, not just my teenage years. Had older family who were dj's, so hip hop was all around me, as well as music in general. I can even tell you my first time learning how to scratch was when I was around 6/7 years old on my cousins turntables. I remember how bad NYC was, weed smoke everywhere, me fighting all the time, police not fukking with people like they did in the 90's. The train having graffitti everywhere, and the lights going out sometimes. People getting robbed on the trains. Angel dust was still a thing. I remember we wore windbreakers, british walkers. I even remember the Kangaroo sneakers! We were into Karate big time! I can even tell you when Blunts started being smoked, because it started in my neighborhood in Brooklyn. This was more towards the mid 80's, but I remember Big daddy kane was the first that I heard talk about it when he said "you know that I smoke you up like a blunt" in the song "raw"!

2-They are second generation, because hip hop is a culture, not just music, and the people who helped create it were older then them. A major part of hip hop culture coming about were the gangs of the time, specifically the black spades. The slang, how sound systems were able to be set up outside, and styles of dressing all had a connection to the gangs! When you look at the times people like Kool Dj dee, he had his sound system before herc, and was the first to bring his set outside, not bam, flash, or herc. Herc even admitted his first sound system was some home type shyt, not a big speaker set up.

3- How are you gonna say kool dj dee, & mario, were just dj's who played music, when Herc, and flash did the same! At least flash brought skills not seen before to the table, but herc didn't even mix his records, he just played records!

4- Why is it I have a problem with Caribbeans just because I want the truth to be told? Why do you feel a need to stretch the truth just because the people are black? Shouldn't you want the truth regardless who is telling it or where they are from?

1. i’m like 4 years older
2. dem nikkaz ain’t 2nd generation, u need to stop lying to yourself
3. all dem vids u & @IllmaticDelta post ...
i almost never hear anything hip hop related in debt - it’s usually i or we did this & that 1st....
4. the truth has been told - the question you & others need to ask yourself why all of a sudden it took 30 years for these nikka to claim they was 1st ?

If you look at those videos on that channel, you will learn everything about the early hip hop. If you are form the Bronx, you definitely need to watch it to know your history!

I know those places quite well and actually I currently live off Castle Hill , Westchester Ave which is basically walking distance to all those spots

truth2you

All Star
Daps
1. i’m like 4 years older
2. dem nikkaz ain’t 2nd generation, u need to stop lying to yourself
3. all dem vids u & @IllmaticDelta post ...
i almost never hear anything hip hop related in debt - it’s usually i or we did this & that 1st....
4. the truth has been told - the question you & others need to ask yourself why all of a sudden it took 30 years for these nikka to claim they was 1st ?

I know those places quite well and actually I currently live off Castle Hill , Westchester Ave which is basically walking distance to all those spots
Listen, you really don't know hip hop history like you think you do

Those people on those videos are in their 50's & 60's, they were the first because..... forget it

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
Listen, you really don't know hip hop history like you think you do

Those people on those videos are in their 50's & 60's, they were the first because..... forget it

:what:

u act like flash, bam & herc is our age - u do understand dem nikkaz are in their 60’s

truth2you

All Star
Daps
:what:

u act like flash, bam & herc is our age - u do understand dem nikkaz are in their 60’s
This is getting annoying!

My Man, why is it so hard to watch the videos, and learn from your elders? That youtube page has people who could tell you so much knowledge that most don't know, including YOU, but you would rather spend that time arguing with me!

I don't understand why people don't want to learn anything.

truth2you

All Star
Daps
the earliest mobile jocks are all all older than herc/bam/flash and were city wide/famous all over

@1:17

This video right here, is why YOU are the MAN!

He said Flowers was mixing in 1964!

I thought it was gay dj's who was doing it first in the early 70's, going by what dj Pummer said, but that could be because he was young in the game, so that was his experience.

These brothers were doing their thing even in the early 60's!

NYC should be ashamed of itself for not telling these stories, these guys changed the world!

@kingofnyc , If you are truly a New Yorker, and lover of black music, you need to watch the videos "illmaticdelta" links. Humble yourself, and admit you may not know as much as you thought you did. We are blessed to have him in our presence because he does most of the work for us. When you go out in the world, you can shut all the bullshyt down with facts, because you are telling info from the people who were there, and actual created all of this, we don't have to have folklore anymore or hope some magazine or tv show interview these people.

THE INTERNET HAS REALLY CHANGED THE GAME!

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
This video right here, is why YOU are the MAN!

He said Flowers was mixing in 1964!

I thought it was gay dj's who was doing it first in the early 70's, going by what dj Pummer said, but that could be because he was young in the game, so that was his experience.

These brothers were doing their thing even in the early 60's!

NYC should be ashamed of itself for not telling these stories, these guys changed the world!

@kingofnyc , If you are truly a New Yorker, and lover of black music, you need to watch the videos "illmaticdelta" links. Humble yourself, and admit you may not know as much as you thought you did. We are blessed to have him in our presence because he does most of the work for us. When you go out in the world, you can shut all the bullshyt down with facts, because you are telling info from the people who were there, and actual created all of this, we don't have to have folklore anymore or hope some magazine or tv show interview these people.

THE INTERNET HAS REALLY CHANGED THE GAME!

the gay underground got more attention than the straight overground which is why alot of the stuff the black and straight overground was pioneering went unnoticed