Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
"That's exactly the point I made earlier, the roots of Hip Hop culture are not African American."

I'm not a fan of wishing death on people but :francis:you nikkas should probably die.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
This I feel is false, for the fact being the difference between, whats influenced and whats listened to.

If thats the case DJ's Kool Herc etc would had been spinning dancehall tracks/riddm's and not disco and funk beats in the 70's.

Dancehall is a west indian culture, not American.

Its also another reason why many emcees in the 80's and 90's would INCLUDE a dancehall track on their hip hop album.

To pay homage to the culture AND their heritage.
Dancehall is a keyboard preset
:mjlit:

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
Clearly Hip Hop is not an offshoot of Reggae, my question is moreso whether so many people of Caribbean descent being arbiters of the NY Hip Hop culture has created a fundamental disconnect in culture between the New York/Tri-State scene and the scenes virtually everywhere else in the country.
Not at all because as a southern nikka when I listen to classic tracks from NY cats who are of Caribbean descent all I hear is African American culture/music.

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
Not at all because as a southern nikka when I listen to classic tracks from NY cats who are of Caribbean descent all I hear is African American culture/music.
But they’re still Jamaicans :gucci:

AAs should get no credit for making basketball popular because it was created by a white Canadian... you see how stupid that sounds

But it’s still fukking stupid to say Jamaicans didn’t play a role in the early stages of hip hop culture

Y’all took one hyperbolic assertion(Jamaicans created hip hop) and made another hyperbolic assertion(Jamaicans played no part in the early formation of hip hop)

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
But they’re still Jamaicans :gucci:

AAs should get no credit for making basketball popular because it was created by a white Canadian... you see how stupid that sounds

But it’s still fukking stupid to say Jamaicans didn’t play a role in the early stages of hip hop culture

Y’all took one hyperbolic assertion(Jamaicans created hip hop) and made another hyperbolic assertion(Jamaicans played no part in the early formation of hip hop)
They are of caribbean descent but they assimilated into AA culture. They didn't interject any caribbean culture into the music. NO one said the people didn't play a part in it creating it, We are saying they didn't contribute any caribbean culture into it. If you claim they did tell us what it is. I can cite the AA roots of Hip Hop music to a T.

Do this sound anyfukkinthing like Caribbean music to you nikka? And where's your proof that caribbean nikkas made Hip Hop popular for you to even draw a comparison to AA and basketball?

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
They are of caribbean descent but they assimilated into AA culture. They didn't interject any caribbean culture into the music.

Do this sound anyfukkinthing like Caribbean music to you nikka? And where's your proof that caribbean nikkas made Hip Hop popular for you to even draw a comparison to AA and basketball?

But you can literally say this about every immigrant group that has moved to the United States :stopitslime:

I said they helped make it popular... not by themselves :gucci:

Pit Bull

GATOR
Daps
Reppin
Crenshaw Mafia
But you can literally say this about every immigrant group that has moved to the United States :stopitslime:

I said they helped make it popular... not by themselves :gucci:
If that's the case then where is the special snowflake syndrome coming from? If you didn't add your own distinctive flavor from where you came from then it ain't no need to be so hellbent on announcing the shyt. Them nikkas was basically American nikkas.

Tuck ya flags in nikka.

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
If that's the case then where is the special snowflake syndrome coming from? If you didn't add your own distinctive flavor from where you came from then it ain't no need to be so hellbent on announcing the shyt. Them nikkas was basically American nikkas.

Tuck ya flags in nikka.
No:pachaha:

Every group is going to celebrate their accomplishments . Human nature

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
WELCOME
Lane-End-Merge-Left-Sign-X-W9-2L.gif