Does the large Caribbean presence in NYC's Hip Hop scene explain the disconnect with other regions?

SlowPaceThrillah

Pro
Supporter
Daps
You must be upset that y'all only contribution to music is derived from AMERICAN R&B.
"Toasting" = emulating AMERICAN deejays talking jive talk over the air.
The little shyt y'all folks made still came from us.
I guess reggae is original because y'all added some "mento" "riddim" to already written R&B standards from the 40s and 50s...riiiiiiiiiiiiiight?
Y'all didn't create hip hop. You didn't contribute to it. It has nothing to do with your home island. Incorporating dancehall "styling" after....modern dancehall emulated rap and took the singing out of the delivery, right?
Don't ask me anything about my personal life trying to hype your people up. Y'all get taken to task EVERY DAY.
Stop trying to rewrite history, you weren't there....I wasn't, either.

Ehh, I'm not sure you can write off the influence of carribean music like that. In the realm of hip-hop, possibly... Otherwise tho dub music feels like the start of bass heavy dance, which informs the low end of almost all non-guitar band music like jungle, drum n bass, house (altho it had the disco sound), then the newer shyt.

Now, arguably, you can say funk breaks had more to do with that, but tubby smacking his amps during his recording sessions, ionno, not a lot of other people back then seemed to be making skeletal productions that leant more on raw sonics than adhereing to the song structures and melodies you'd hear in american pop music. That aesthetic seem's to have more in common with the way rap is going now as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong tho :yeshrug:

Budda

Superstar
Daps

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
This was being discussed in another thread:

That's exactly the point I made earlier, the roots of Hip Hop culture are not African American.

It didn't take very long for African Americans to dominate the culture but New York's style is heavily Caribbean influenced to this day.

The New York Hip Hop scene never fukked with the Hip Hop scenes in the rest of the country like that unless nikkas made music that sounded exactly like them (i.e. Common, Lupe, Hiero, Cypress Hill, etc). When you compare the music they don't like to each other - UGK, E-40, Do Or Die, etc. - the commonalities stand out:

- Heavier bass lines
- Heavier focus on melody
- Less focus on rapping about rhyme skills, more Bluesy subject matter
- Heavier use of P-Funk elements

This isn't by accident.

4jWaUhP.jpg

has something to do with type of Blues roots the Upper South blacks come from.

Daps
Reppin
Midwest/East Coast/Tx (Now in Canada)
Ehh, I'm not sure you can write off the influence of carribean music like that. In the realm of hip-hop, possibly... Otherwise tho dub music feels like the start of bass heavy dance, which informs the low end of almost all non-guitar band music like jungle, drum n bass, house (altho it had the disco sound), then the newer shyt.

Now, arguably, you can say funk breaks had more to do with that, but tubby smacking his amps during his recording sessions, ionno, not a lot of other people back then seemed to be making skeletal productions that leant more on raw sonics than adhereing to the song structures and melodies you'd hear in american pop music. That aesthetic seem's to have more in common with the way rap is going now as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong tho :yeshrug:
You're wrong because people didn't listen to their music at all and it had nothing to do with ours.
Funk and Disco only, fam.

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
Kool Herc was jamaican...i know that stings some of you,you cant take jamaican out of the equation...